• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

NXS 2.5-10 on a long action?

R3nd3r

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2022
Montana
The little NXS checks all the boxes for my specific needs on the next scope purchase. I keep hearing folks talk about them being a PITA to mount on a long action. Anyone care to chime in either way? Rifle is a LA with a split integral rail, 1 slot in the rear and 4 in the front.
image000000(1).jpg

As for the scope, is titties.

There is some optical distortion on mine at 10X, but it isn't terrible - I only notice it when I stay on scope for an extended time. Otherwise, it is a great all-around scope.

Might be tricky with those split rails. This is what it looks like on a SA with one piece rail. There isn’t much wiggle room, but some thinner rings would work in your favor I’m sure.
IMG_5013.jpeg

As for the scope, is titties.

There is some optical distortion on mine at 10X, but it isn't terrible - I only notice it when I stay on scope for an extended time. Otherwise, it is a great all-around scope.
I don't think I've seen anyone else complain about this. Do you have any other recommendation similar to the NXS?

Reactions: CaptArab
Do you have any particular rings in mind you think would work?
I’d venture to say any of the lightweight series would be significantly slimmer.

As for your other question about a scope in somewhat close comparison, look at the newish Leupold on that power setting. The only reason I didn’t really care for that option was the fixed parallax.

If your budget gets the deep pocket treatment, look into Swarovski but you didn’t specify what the rifle is being used for, so that will change options some as well.

Look at 6+ years ago reviews (when I got mine) and you will find some mention of it.
Other options: vortex light hunter 3-15, SWFA 3-9 if you can find one and don’t need illumination.
What do you like about the NXS? With that, I can make some recommendations. Mine plays backup to my March 1.5-15X for use behind a thermal, use case does indeed matter.

So I was going to put one of the 2.5-10 x42 NF on my kelby nanook long action and it would not work with regular rings. https://spuhrwebshop.com/en/hunting/hpc30-25a.html spuhr makes these and I may end up using them. I don't think I would ever do an interrupted rail on a long action ever again I liking being able to move any scope from one gun to another just in case.
Someone suggested the Spuhr Cantilever rings for me

Last edited:
I’d venture to say any of the lightweight series would be significantly slimmer.

As for your other question about a scope in somewhat close comparison, look at the newish Leupold on that power setting. The only reason I didn’t really care for that option was the fixed parallax.

If your budget gets the deep pocket treatment, look into Swarovski but you didn’t specify what the rifle is being used for, so that will change options some as well.
How is the glass on the Leupold? It's a mid range hunting rifle

Look at 6+ years ago reviews (when I got mine) and you will find some mention of it.
Other options: vortex light hunter 3-15, SWFA 3-9 if you can find one and don’t need illumination.
What do you like about the NXS? With that, I can make some recommendations. Mine plays backup to my March 1.5-15X for use behind a thermal, use case does indeed matter.
It's lightweight with zerostop and also sfp with illum. mil reticle

Someone on Rokslide answered this and apparently it fits on a long action with a split base, but doesn't leave a ton of wiggle room for adjusting eye relief. Sorry for the low-res picture.

1715702304030.png

Side note: I love my NXS 2.5-10x42. But it's not on a long action, so I can't take a picture for you.

Someone on Rokslide answered this and apparently it fits on a long action with a split base, but doesn't leave a ton of wiggle room for adjusting eye relief. Sorry for the low-res picture.

View attachment 8417971

Side note: I love my NXS 2.5-10x42. But it's not on a long action, so I can't take a picture for you.
I'll probably have to look into something else with a longer tube

I've seen them on tikka rifles which have a quasi long action size and they had room to spare I don't think you would have any big problems. You could always talk to the vendor first and see if they'll offer a return, mock it up when you get it but don't torque it down or anything to avoid making ring marks and mess around with it to see if it will work for you.

Reactions: R3nd3r
I've seen them on tikka rifles which have a quasi long action size and they had room to spare I don't think you would have any big problems. You could always talk to the vendor first and see if they'll offer a return, mock it up when you get it but don't torque it down or anything to avoid making ring marks and mess around with it to see if it will work for you.
Will check this out, Thanks!

IMG_3685.jpeg

I did this recently myself. Split bases and NF 4-screw ultralights and it’s a tight fit with zero options for eye relief (although eye relief ended up being perfect with my 13” LOP stock).

Reactions: R3nd3r and Cutout
View attachment 8418595
I did this recently myself. Split bases and NF 4-screw ultralights and it’s a tight fit with zero options for eye relief (although eye relief ended up being perfect with my 13” LOP stock).
Likely not something I'd want as I prefer having enough eye relief. I might not be as lucky as you to get a perfect one so I'll just check out other options

The little NXS checks all the boxes for my specific needs on the next scope purchase. I keep hearing folks talk about them being a PITA to mount on a long action. Anyone care to chime in either way? Rifle is a LA with a split integral rail, 1 slot in the rear
Why did you copy my thread title, posts and picture from a different forum and paste them here? What the fuck is your deal?

Let's get this moved to the Pit and have a little fun. Unfortunately though, I think we've probably seen the last of the OP (who wasn't the OP).

I mean, who steals threads other than a scammer?