• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question for new 5.56 Brass

Halo09

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
Sarasota, FL
I just came across 2 cases of primed wolf 223/ 5.56 brass. This is new, unloaded brass. It used to be available in quantities, but since things went all crazy, I don't see it anymore...anyways, back to my question is this, I'm loading on a dillon 550 with 69 SMK with Shooter's World and Tac powders. Do I still need to use the expander or resizing die? Finished rounds are for an AR platform running an 18" barrel. I have been loading them to sierra mag length specs. The way that I have ran about 100 so far have been put in the case in station 1 (empty), move to station 2 for powder, move to station 3 for bullet seating, and station 4 for an ever so light touch of the crimp die. Should I start to use the resizer in station 1 without the deprimer? Should I chamfer the inside of the cartridges? I haven't noticed any shavings from the projectile after loading this way so far. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
@Halo09

I recently faced the same situation with some primed 35 Remington brass. I also load on a Dillon 550. I also have a single stage press for small operations.

Here’s how I skinned the cat. YMMV

SINGLE STAGE.
- Size case with depriming pin removed. I use Lee dies on the 35 Rem, so the expander comes out with the depriming pin.
- expand case mouth with M-die. You could use mandrel of your choice if your dies don’t have removable decapping pin.

My cases did not require trim. Measure yours and decide. I did not chamfer (nor do I chamfer .223 brass for use with with the 69 SMK bullet)

Switch to 550.
Station 1 empty
Station 2 powder
Station 3 seating die
Station 4 light crimp to remove any flare.

Case lube is your friend here. Since you’re using primed cases I would heartily recommend Imperial Sizing Wax. It’s my go to case lube. Not as convenient as the lanolin sprays but very effective.

-john

Reactions: Halo09
I've used a hornady case gauge on every round and so far, all of them were good.
Are you talking about a headspace comparator guage used with a caliper or the general drop in type case guage ?
The latter I personally feel aren't much of a precise instrument unless you have a precision ground base and dial indicator to read them similar to the Sinclair bullet sorting fixture.
Something like this.
1715797466446.png

New brass should be sized and should not need to be trimmed. You can test that with a case gauge. The Dillon powder die has an expander built in.
I just use Dillon's powder funnel for .223.

New brass for me gets 20 cases sampled for headspace. If it is acceptable, consistent within .003 and will chamber, then I simply run the case mouths over an expander mandrel or over the expander ball of a full length die (but don't size). This is just in case there is a small ding in the case mouth.

Most "quality" brass (Lapua, Alpha, Peterson...and even Starline) I've found that the ES of headspace is generally about .001 on those 20 tested cases.

Reactions: simonp and Halo09
New brass for me gets 20 cases sampled for headspace. If it is acceptable, consistent within .003 and will chamber, then I simply run the case mouths over an expander mandrel or over the expander ball of a full length die (but don't size). This is just in case there is a small ding in the case mouth.

Most "quality" brass (Lapua, Alpha, Peterson...and even Starline) I've found that the ES of headspace is generally about .001 on those 20 tested cases.
So, after checking, basically using a neck sizing die or mandrel just to ensure the case neck and opening is the same?

Reactions: diggler1833
So, after checking, basically using a neck sizing die or mandrel just to ensure the case neck and opening is the same?

Yes. Some cases will still get the occasional small (barely visible) ding, which can scrape the bullet when seating and also cause differences in the friction interference (neck tension) during the seating process. Running them over a mandrel or expander ball is a super easy step to remove that variation.

Reactions: simonp and Halo09
Do something crazy like I dunno chamber one? Maybe2 or 3

Since it's primed I would load and shoot. Don't worry about the Headspace on the first firing. If the necks are mangled you have to decide whether or not to try and carefully resize the neck, without a recapping pin.

Or here is a thought, get a good case gauge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halo09