• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Setting Up Targets

Storm Bringer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2024
Canada
Hello:

I have an AR500 plate that I would like to mount statically to a post.

Should the post (and plate) be canted forward to reduce the chance of ricochets?

If so, is there a recommended angle?

Thanks

Yes. Not only reduces ricocheting but also reduces the ft lbs transferred to your target/post. Not sure on specific angles. Just an obvious can’t is sufficient. The bullet fragments will chew up your post or anything under it.

I made wooden plate hangers that I can set anywhere for mine. The fragments have just about cut the 2X4 down the center on them

Have extra posts ready to go. The chance of you hitting a 1” post at 500 yards is next to zero. Once you hang your target on it that chance somehow goes up immensely.

Would it be better to hang the target than mount it fixed to a post?
Giving it the ability to swing will help with the life of the steel. It also helps absorb some energy when the bullet hits. It also allows you to see an impact better at longer ranges if the target is washed out from the sun

I found the easiest mounting solution was cheap wide footprint child swing frames. Timber looks like a PITA.

I assume you can buy something similar in North America from chain stores.

7fe6308c-d6f2-42e3-b0fc-b0629fb5b772.jpeg (1).jpg

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
That kid’s swing is a simple solution, cool.

The previous input is spot on. Here’s a few pictures. Hanging is good for longer ranges where energy has been expended. Angled is good for target life, and required for safety if you’re going to do anything close up like pistol caliber drills. The 2x4 and conduit bracket kits are easy to find at Scheels, Cabela’s, Amazon etc. The angled brackets tend be at 15 degrees. Buy a grade 5 bolt for the 2x4 hanger and it will survive longer. And don’t shoot green tip 5.56 at anything unless you like replacing AR500 targets.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
The T post mount from mk machine are easy to setup, work well and puts the target at an angle.

I really like the T-post target hanger system from D-M Targets. He also has an angled hanger bracket if you want the target sloped downward.

I use them for both long range and also for close up pistol targets, have thousands of rounds on them trouble free. The hangers from JC Steel are good too.

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the information. We have a long weekend coming up this weekend, so I am definitely going to get something going. So excited!

The Hang Fast System allows the plate to hang at an angle by a single mounting point. The plate hangs naturally at a back angle and is super reactive. Easy to set up and take down. Tools are built into the hanger.

IPSC AC .375 chain mount.jpg
66% IPSC extreme angle for close range rifle.jpg
40% IPSC .5 chain side.jpg
10 inch round fail safe2.jpg
6R .375 FS.JPG

Attachments

• IPSC AC .375 std bolt 1.5.JPG
    IPSC AC .375 std bolt 1.5.JPG
    919.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Love
Reactions: jabonra
Seems like an extreme angle, you lose half the target height.
Angles are very adjustable with this system depending on the plate/hanger and mounting combination you select.
The standard angle is 17 degrees which leaves 96% of the plate visible. A 12" plate would have a 11.52" visible exposure.
The 66% IPSC Extreme angle (12 x 20") hangs at 40 degrees and has a 76% exposure with 15 inches showing.

Reactions: Simonsza1
^^^I have used the JC Steel tpost hangers. Work great with my 66% IPSC's.

Consider tposts consumable. Farmers are usually sitting on a pile of old bent rusty ones that are perfect for the task. I call around and never buy new ones. Old steel is often better steel too.

They never fail immediately.....you should get plenty of life out of a single tpost. They can take having multiple chunks taken out. And we've broken them off and just slipped them onto whatever remains and pulled the remainder out with a chain and atv when a replacement is actually needed. We've had tposts last entire summers with high round counts.

Reactions: Simonsza1