• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Small rifle primer brass?

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    Am I throwing good money after bad by considering a switch to SRP 308 win brass? Large rifle primers seem to be unobtanium, and my supply is dwindling. SR primers aren’t exactly cheap, but availability seems to have normalized. I have a pretty good supply of LRP 308 win cases, but am thinking I should reserve my LR primers for long action cartridges like 30-06 and 270 win. Anyone regret going to SR primers for 308, or even 6.5 creedmoor?

Don't worry about it, just do it and maximize your primer stash,

Switched some time ago to SRP 6.5 creedmoor brass for the same reason as well. I use CCI450's pretty much for everything short of 270 and 7PRCW so I can save LRP/LRMP for those. Very happy with my performance in the 6.5 creedmoor, 6GT, 22GT using SRMP

Before I sold my last 308win I had standardized on 308win Palma brass and had zero regrets.
    Always used cci450 and only two powders ( Varget and AR-COMP ) also tested in very cold temps as I had read a few of the internet 💩💩 stories about inconsistent ignition in cold temps with zero issues.
    Strange this topic came up since the last couple of days I have been digging out all of my Nosler custom LRP brass and looking for a new barrel for 308win to conserve my small rifle primers since I have a good supply of BR2 and FGMM primers.

Am I throwing good money after bad by considering a switch to SRP 308 win brass? Large rifle primers seem to be unobtanium, and my supply is dwindling. SR primers aren’t exactly cheap, but availability seems to have normalized. I have a pretty good supply of LRP 308 win cases, but am thinking I should reserve my LR primers for long action cartridges like 30-06 and 270 win. Anyone regret going to SR primers for 308, or even 6.5 creedmoor?
    SRP's have worked really well in my .308 cases (Lapua and Peterson). . . even the softy CCI-400's. I actually tend to get better results on paper. Though I do think if one is using them in a .308 in cold, cold temperatures, there could be ignition problems. I'm always shooting in temperatures above 45°F. And like you mention, I do same my LRP's for the larger cartridge's.

Magnum SRP's work well, but not necessary, unless. . . you're using Alpha brass, which has large flash holes. I seem those large flash holes tends to result in some pierced primers. Going with SRP that have thicker cups, like CCI-450's or Rem 7.5's, solves that problems, else one might have to change the firing pin set up.

Reactions: Marine52
    SRP's have worked really well in my .308 cases (Lapua and Peterson). . . even the softy CCI-400's. I actually tend to get better results on paper. Though I do think if one is using them in a .308 in cold, cold temperatures, there could be ignition problems. I'm always shooting in temperatures above 45°F. And like you mention, I do same my LRP's for the larger cartridge's.

Magnum SRP's work well, but not necessary, unless. . . you're using Alpha brass, which has large flash holes. I seem those large flash holes tends to result in some pierced primers. Going with SRP that have thicker cups, like CCI-450's or Rem 7.5's, solves that problems, else one might have to change the firing pin set up.
    With the cci450 run at top end charges with AR-COMP in an unbushed Rem 700 Varmint I would see only the slightest amount of cratering in Lapua brass.
    I will dig one out a try and get a good pic.

40.7 grains of AR-COMP with 178amax @ 2.885 coal
    20240515_104352.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: straightshooter1
    With the cci450 run at top end charges with AR-COMP in an unbushed Rem 700 Varmint I would see only the slightest amount of cratering in Lapua brass.
    I will dig one out a try and get a good pic.

40.7 grains of AR-COMP with 178amax @ 2.885 coal
    View attachment 8418664
    My favorite load for the .308 RPR with 26" Krieger barrel is 41.1 grs AR-Comp for 169 SMK's in Lapua Palma cases using CCI-400's (COAL: 2.957). Recently got hold of some Rem 7.5's and with the same load, they did great, to my surprise. Also, ran test with that load in some Alpha brass and Peterson brass (both with large flash hole) using CCI-450's and they also did really well.

When I first tested some new Alpha brass for the first time using CCI-400's, 3 out of 10 primers were pierced. Most likely, the larger heavier firing pin of mine contributes to that. But, never had that problem with either Lapua or Peterson SRP cases.

Reactions: XLR308
    My favorite load for the .308 RPR with 26" Krieger barrel is 41.1 grs AR-Comp for 169 SMK's in Lapua Palma cases using CCI-400's (COAL: 2.957). Recently got hold of some Rem 7.5's and with the same load, they did great, to my surprise. Also, ran test with that load in some Alpha brass and Peterson brass (both with large flash hole) using CCI-450's and they also did really well.

When I first tested some new Alpha brass for the first time using CCI-400's, 3 out of 10 primers were pierced. Most likely, the larger heavier firing pin of mine contributes to that. But, never had that problem with either Lapua or Peterson SRP cases.
    I have never run any Alpha brass i almost exclusively have run Lapua and Nosler custom but have heard nothing but good about Alpha with one exception that I'm sure they corrected in short order.

I have never run any Alpha brass i almost exclusively have run Lapua and Nosler custom but have heard nothing but good about Alpha with one exception that I'm sure they corrected in short order.
    I was really impressed when fire forming the Alpha brass, as usually when firing forming I don't get get particularly good chrono or target results. The results were almost as good as I get with fully my prepped Lapua brass. The Alpha brass' OAL was very consistent, though I did need to chamfer and deburr the mouth edges.

On Alpha's website, they do address the issue regarding pierced and cratered primers and attribute that to firing pin size. As I recall, their recommendation is to go with a smaller diameter firing pin. . . especially with warm loads.

Reactions: XLR308
    Other than the thread last week, I hadn’t seen anything about them before either. Yet, they look to be available all over Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Apparently most of the production sold here goes to ammunition manufacturers.

Frankly, if I was looking for LRP, I’d give them a try. I cannot imagine they would be bad and they might just be exactly what you want.

Columbus took a chance.

Last edited:
    Reactions: LR1845 and XLR308
    Other than the thread last week, I hadn’t seen anything about them before either. Yet, they look to be available all over Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Apparently most of the production sold here goes to ammunition manufacturers.

Frankly, if I was looking for LRP, I’d give them a try. I cannot imagine they would be bad and they might just be exactly what you want.

Columbus took a chance.
    Columbus used the Spanish Crown’s money…

But, I’ll keep these LRPs in mind.