• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Texas, are these going to be an improvement or death traps?

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
  • Haha
Reactions: 10ring'r
we have 85 OTR trucks and in the last few years insurance companies have pushed all the safety stuff, lane assit, radar. none of the shit works. we've had two accidents where the driver reacts faster than the systems. one topped a hill in texas on the interstate where a drunk driver was parked in the middle of the road asleep. brakes didnt engage until .2 seconds from impact, the driver had already swerved and clipped the car

My brother's a trucker, and he bitches about other truckers almost as much as he bitches about "4 wheelers".

The question is, can the self driving computers adequately, and safely, handle the human behaviors of all these shitheads we have on the road everyday? I can see an upside to the self driving trucks, and perhaps it can fill a bit of the gap with the shortage of drivers, but perhaps there's a shortage of drivers not because of a lack of people, but because a lack of great pay, and negative stigma to the job.

Me personally, I would prefer to see self driving be more driver aid, and keep people working. That's my problem with robots taking the jobs of people, because then what do the people do then.

Branden

we have 85 OTR trucks and in the last few years insurance companies have pushed all the safety stuff, lane assit, radar. none of the shit works. we've had two accidents where the driver reacts faster than the systems. one topped a hill in texas on the interstate where a drunk driver was parked in the middle of the road asleep. brakes didnt engage until .2 seconds from impact, the driver had already swerved and clipped the car

I think part of it is if the safety system is done by stupid tech utopians who have the lets push it out and then see what happens and fix it later type idea like many have or if it's the older traditional type people that really like to test and verify that it works.

Also as much as a certian African American likes to tout "full self driving" B.S. and such it's not going to be better than a well trained, well experienced human anytime soon.

Folks need to stop thinking that these "aids" are going to do it all for them.
Think of all these extra stuff as backup that in case you mess up and can't see something, there is a decent chance for the vehicle to assist in avoiding stuff.

For example I have a recent model Volvo, it has quite a bit of "active safety systems" and sometimes they can be a bit annoying because some kinds of close calls may set them off a bit early. BUT it has saved me from at least 1 or 2 accidents where some insane drivers were doing stupid stuff on the road that I couldn't see.

Reactions: Charmingmander
weve had more problems since we purchased the safety equipment than anything. its tied into the main wiring harness on the freightliner and is screweing up the truck telling it its moving when the brakes are set and trying to do a regen. then it de rates itself and has to be towed. total shitshow money grab.

Some good points here, the first one is put it out there then figure it out. This is the way they do things now. If there are a couple million in suits that is a win, if there are a couple hundred million that they will need to take a look at, over that they will do a recall. Things have not changed in that area since the days of the Pinto.

The other issue is this tech is intrusive. It will watch you, it will over ride your actions one day. It will decide you can't go to the gun shop or range. This is all coming.

The last thing is, I think and perhaps some of the truckers on here can confirm, but I think there was issues in getting trucks to take loads in New York state. We all remember Canada and the issue with trucks. Now that is all removed from the system. It will self drive itself there.

I am not sure if it is good or bad, leaning pretty heavy to bad.

I would love to see someone road raging on a computer driven truck, I doubt that will end well.

Given what we know about self driving shit so far? Is quality wrenching on them going to be an issue? I mean if a brake locks up will it just drag it down the road? Or a tire blows will it just rim ride like some I've seen?

We already have driverless trucks.................................................................they are called fucking TRAINS. If you want something with 100,000 pounds of cargo and no one anywhere near it, put it on its own track or road. These things will crash and kill people at some point shortly after they are put into service.

Transportation is one of the largest employment sectors in the world. Once they automate that, millions of Americans will suddenly be unemployed and lack any skills to transition into other careers. That’s when cries for UBI will be deafening, and GOV takes more control.

No trucker protests if dey ain’t no truckers. No fatigue. No texting while driving. No Pilot truckstops. No Lot Lizards.

No shipments of goods to whomever they say.

Complete. Government. Control.

It’s a much bigger deal than most people think.

Transportation is one of the largest employment sectors in the world. Once they automate that, millions of Americans will suddenly be unemployed and lack any skills to transition into other careers. That’s when cries for UBI will be deafening, and GOV takes more control.

No trucker protests if dey ain’t no truckers. No fatigue. No texting while driving. No Pilot truckstops. No Lot Lizards.

No shipments of goods to whomever they say.

Complete. Government. Control.

It’s a much bigger deal than most people think.
No one that can haul shit to the people they don't like.

R

Reactions: Charmingmander
by then everyone will have already starved to death. no way to get produce from the west coast to the east coast with a electric vehicle before the food rots.

Railroad does a lot of goods moving really well, and a lot not so much. Need 150 car loads moved from LA to Chicago? Easy peasy, be there in under three days. LTL and last mile delivery? Nope, can’t pull that shit off well at all.

This truckdriver was at a weight station and the DoT guy stepped up and said he could ask some questions and recert his DoT with a verbal exam. (I said verbal not oral because you guys are sick. Sick, I tell you, just sick.)

"So, driving on what seems to be a slight grade up but nothing drastic. Then you crest and find there is a lot more hill going down than there was going up. What will you do?"

"I will try to downshift."

"Okay, well, you are going a little too fast to do that without damaging things. What then?"

"Start applying brakes. I would use a Jake Brake if this truck had one."

"Okay, well, the drums heat up and expand and the brakes just aren't doing enough. What then?"

"I am going to have steer and ride it out."

"At the bottom of the hill is a T intersection."

"It better be clear when I go through."

"Well, there is a train coming along the tracks parallel to that T."

"I am going to wake Jake."

"What will that do?"

"Nothing, but Jake ain't seen a wreck like we are about to have."

My brother was a truckdriver, OTR. When he was younger, he was taking loads from New England area (at the time, he lived in New Hampshire) to California. One time, he had different route and got a "Wake Jake" scenario. It was for Stevens Transport in one of the last rigs to not have a governor or a Jake Brake.

So, just like the joke, he stood on the brakes for a little while but he was getting near the bottom of the hill and there was a left curve in the road and no run off strip. He was 6' 5" and quite strong. Both hands on the wheel and both feet braced against the console. As he entered the turn, a glance showed that he was doing 105 mph. It felt like the left front tire might have left the pavement for a second.

Once he got on the flat straight, he let the rig wind itself down to speeds at which he could down shift. Finally, he was able to stop on the side of the road. And went and found a handy bush to take a piss.

Smoked a few cigarettes to collect his nerves and let the brakes cool.

I would rather have him behind the wheel than skynet.

I came off lookout pass in a 3500 ram at 28k lbs and lost trailer brakes. It was pre exhaust brakes. I don't know exactly how fast it was spinning, but I stuffed it into 3rd and made over 70mph before it was over. It was a interesting ride.

Reactions: Ronws
I have zero complaints about the truckers on our roads...
Hopefully you'll not experience the "newcomers' they turn loose in my AO that can't speak or read english.
Usually can pick them out from behind by their "driving style".
I'd expect they'd like them to fuck up as much as possible to sell the driverless version.

R

Last edited:
Business will suffer, particulary the truck stops and truck stop lot lizards, their pimps and meth dealers and the cheap motels they operate out of.

How would you like to be hitchhiking and get picked up by a driverless truck?

FB_IMG_1677777629018.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TheHorta and Ronws