• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

…but I'm a gluten for punishment.

Yeah you are, you’re a BAD doughboy!! :ROFLMAO:

IMG_1971.jpeg

Honestly though, if 6.5 Swede were more easily sourced I’d probably go with it over a 6.5CM, but it’s difficult to find in my neck of the woods. :(

Yeah you are, you’re a BAD doughboy!! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 8413003

Honestly though, if 6.5 Swede were more easily sourced I’d probably go with it over a 6.5CM, but it’s difficult to find in my neck of the woods. :(
Dambit, fucking spell check 🤡
I pretty much only reload so no issues there, that and since it will be a hunting rifle will keep a few boxes of factory on hand.

Still toying with the idea of rebarreling to a 6.5x55AI but not sure i can come close to the performance im seeing in this configuration.
Having seen quite a few x55AI's, I'm pretty convinced by now that the most of the performance gains seen with improved versions come from the fact that the almost cylindrical casings show little to no of the traditional pressure signs. The conical shape of the original 6.5x55 case allows for easily spotted and gradually increasing pressure signs - mainly extractor stamps and swipes - while the almost cylindrical Ackley Improved versions lead to less pressure on the bolt head itself, revealing less obvious pressure signs.

Insane improvements in performance come from running insane pressures (usually without the users realizing it), pretty much. If you go AI, be sensitive and use a chronograph.

A regular 6.5x55 loaded to modern pressures (like Vihtavuori's 6.5x55 SCAN data) is nothing to scoff at, but you might be doing a lot of case trimming in my experience (T3 Varmint and Blaser R8).

I would love a 6.5x55 AI but mostly because A) it looks cool and B) less case trimming. Not necessarily because of any performance improvements. If you want faster, go with a bigger cartridge. The 6.5-284 is not a bad choice (and gives bonus geek points for having a recessed rim ;)).

Reactions: Basher and XLR308
I have a feeling that Skan Data was mainly to sort out the dimensional issues of chambers and case dimensions of the 6.5x55 in different countries. Max cart pressure never seemed to change. Looking at older German reloading books the 6.5x55 has been at 3800bar just like the 8x57 I of similar time, meaning no change in Skan.
edi

Can't see a Tikka option on that link. Not that it bothers me. I'm quite happy with the factory stock.

For normal hunting I do not see the point of changing the polymer stock of my Tikka's. Both rifles shoot just as well in the factory stock as they do in a chassis system. The factory stock is also much lighter.

If the balance puts you off, there is enough space inside the stock to fill with whatever amount of weight in the front or back. You can even buy a vertical grip if you so desire.

Reactions: Bbracken667
Can't see a Tikka option on that link. Not that it bothers me. I'm quite happy with the factory stock.

For normal hunting I do not see the point of changing the polymer stock of my Tikka's. Both rifles shoot just as well in the factory stock as they do in a chassis system. The factory stock is also much lighter.

If the balance puts you off, there is enough space inside the stock to fill with whatever amount of weight in the front or back. You can even buy a vertical grip if you so desire.
Ditto. I do not make “upgrades” for solely appearance purposes. I have modified my factory t3x stock with lead poured into the forend to achieve a better balance and heft. I also pillar bedded the action and use 60# to tighten my action screws. My t3x “lite” now weighs 12.5 lbs. With the added balance and heft all aspects of recoil have been improved. 12.5 lbs ain’t going to break anyone’s back even with a moderately heavy backpack. While I don’t so much anymore, I typically head out into the woods prepared to stay a few days “stealth” camping.
I just don’t understand the whole emphasis towards “lite”’rifles. You pay for it in other ways.

Last edited:
For me, a better feel than the previous Bifrost, although it was a superb stock, the Field Stock fits a bit better for me.
I tried the Bifrost, as well. I like the guys from GRS. They seem like great dudes. But all the plastic felt very cheap. I didn't like the button/spring mechanism for the LOP. It also didn't feel good for me snapping in. I sent it back and tried an MDT chassis instead. I didn't get the Field Stock. I got the Oryx. But I so far love the fit and feel of it. It feels like a quality chassis. And it fits me very well for my purposes.

No, didn't try one yet. MDT field stock is 349€ while KRG bravo IS about 700€ here in Germany. Don't see any need spending twice the price. The GRS Bifrost did cost 449€ the time I bought it. Meanwhile they ask 689€ here

Reactions: carbonbased
Finally got my rifles back from the smith.

This is supposed to be 16 inches, and I haven't confirmed with a tape measure. Pretty satisfied with how it came together.

The bravo definitely feels a lot better than I was expecting
1000018662.jpg

Reactions: x0mb13 and kdhope
No, didn't try one yet. MDT field stock is 349€ while KRG bravo IS about 700€ here in Germany. Don't see any need spending twice the price. The GRS Bifrost did cost 449€ the time I bought it. Meanwhile they ask 689€ here
Oh wow, that’s quite a price difference. In the US the Tikka Bravo is $400 and the simpler Tikka Echo is $300.

One nice thing about all Bravos are you can turn it into a Whiskey 3.

And in the case of my Tikka CTR-mag-only Bravo, since KRG doesn’t make a CTR-mag W3, one uses their TRG folding rearend in their TRG Accessories section.

I love the CTR mags for 223/204 sized cartridges. Nice and short and 204 works much better in a CTR mag than it does in my Accurate Mag AICS.

One nice thing about all Bravos are you can turn it into a Whiskey 3.

And in the case of my Tikka CTR-mag-only Bravo, since KRG doesn’t make a CTR-mag W3, one uses their TRG folding rearend in their TRG Accessories section.
Can you confirm that you got the TRG rear to work with a CTR Bravo? Drop in or mods needed?

Yepp, MDT did a great Job.

First 6 shots after swapping stocks.

First two were a bit low, was my fault. Next 4 shots all together nearly dead center @100. Didn't have to correct the scope, surprise.

Attachments

• PXL_20240513_144400642.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20240513_144400642.MP~2.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Can you confirm that you got the TRG rear to work with a CTR Bravo? Drop in or mods needed?
I have not done it, but have emailed KRG a couple times and they’ve confirmed it works with CTR mags. They did not mention any mods.

They respond quickly, so to confirm just email them exactly what you want to do.

My question to them was, how do I get a W3 Tikka CTR-mag-only chassis? They said to buy a CTR-mag-only Bravo, then pointed me to their TRG rear-end in their TRG section, which personally I think is a weird spot. If I were them, I’d also put it in the buttstock section under “Chassis Accessories“.

Last edited:
Had my final range day with my tikka last weekend. It’s been a great rifle but I went to the dark side with an Origin. Sold the barreled action to a guy on here so hopefully it lives on hahaha. If anyone is looking for an XLR envy pro it’s posted in the classifieds.

Attachments

• 2d2c9baf-af4a-4f03-9506-24765a30c2aa.jpeg
    2d2c9baf-af4a-4f03-9506-24765a30c2aa.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 27
Heard rumors that McMillan is considering inletting the A-4 stock for the Tikka T3x Line of actions.

Which is a good thing since it has nearly 1’’ longer grip length compared to A-3 and, 5/16’’ longer then A-5.

Anybody with big hands or who does a lot of Shooting in cold conditions with gloves should welcome that.

Always helpfull if more people asks them about it, to get more traction..

Reactions: Bbracken667
Had my final range day with my tikka last weekend. It’s been a great rifle but I went to the dark side with an Origin. Sold the barreled action to a guy on here so hopefully it lives on hahaha. If anyone is looking for an XLR envy pro it’s posted in the classifieds.
How would you compare and contrast the Tikka vs. Origin?

Reactions: carbonbased
Yes, as someone that has recently got into Tikka (and have been seriously impressed), I am another inquiring mind that wants to know your thoughts on this matter.

I honestly prefer the tikka. The tikka is almost impossible to bind, I prefer the shorter bolt throw, I had a KRG midas trigger in the tikka and liked it better than my trigger tech diamond, the tikka was amazing!

The reason I switched is I wanted to have an action that I could play with different calibers/bolt faces. And the cost of the tikka bolts didn’t make sense, I also have access to discounts on proof prefit barrels and they only offer carbon barrels for the tikka. And there is always origin or savage barrels in the classifieds, or if you post a WTB ad and if I get tired of a caliber/barrel it will be easy to sell. To top it off I had a friend needing money and sold me his origin rifle for a significant discount so it just made sense.

I’m enjoying the origin, but will miss the tikka but there is only so much room in the safe.

The reason I switched is I wanted to have an action that I could play with different calibers/bolt faces. And the cost of the tikka bolts didn’t make sense
I hesitate to post this as I don’t want to set you into buyer’s remorse convulsions, but…

As the below link suggests, Unknown Munitions might be making them soon as well, with BAT Machine as the OEM.

But I get it if you can get other components way cheaper. It adds up.

Reactions: Baron85
I, too, have an Origin SA build and recently bought a Tikka LA. The T3X kills an Origin for value imo, and if I could go back would just have started with Tikka.

T3X comes with decent trigger, bottom metal, integral rail, and buttery action (my origin took forever to break in). Even the factory stock is pretty good if just using as a straight hunting rifle. All for less than the cost of an Origin.

At the moment I have a hammer of a barrel on the Origin, otherwise I would probably sell it to buy another T3X dedicated for SA

I, too, have an Origin SA build and recently bought a Tikka LA. The T3X kills an Origin for value imo, and if I could go back would just have started with Tikka.

T3X comes with decent trigger, bottom metal, integral rail, and buttery action (my origin took forever to break in). Even the factory stock is pretty good if just using as a straight hunting rifle. All for less than the cost of an Origin.

At the moment I have a hammer of a barrel on the Origin, otherwise I would probably sell it to buy another T3X dedicated for SA
I swapped out my trigger spring and have it set at close to 1#. I totally love my tikka. Amazingly smooth action, and everything else I either find exceptional or have modified it to suit my needs. The thing about the trigger is that it makes sure I am not running around in the woods loaded lol. I haven’t been able to make it dry fire by banging it around but I don’t like taking chances. Anyways: I love my tikka lol

Found this video user Ekaas 91 on YouTube. Shows a bottom metal from a Swedish gunsmith, using Sauer 200 STR / SSG 3000 magazines. 6,5x55 or 308. Only 5 round, but I belive he is also have a +2 extender on end of magazine. Single row feeding.

Maybe not so common in US, but Millions upon Millions of these Magazines in Scandinavia.

Reactions: TangoRomeo7688
Well, those Sauer mags are quite "common" in Europe, but they don't offer any pros about the CTR mag. The Sauer 200 5rd mag costs about 139€ in used condition.. Same as an original CTR 10 round mag... Would convert to AICS anytime, since I use it with MDT's Field Stock

Price point for a 5round MDT metal mag is about 79€ here in Germany. Polymer about 49€

Different here in Scandinavia.. Sauer 200 STR or Scandinavian Target Rifle is the only rifle for 2-300.000 competiton shooters, and plenty of them have multiple rifles.

New barrels in the Mail within a week.. and never run out of spare parts… not that its needed.

New Sauer 200 STR with sights is 2530€
Or $2750
Feels like prices has taken a hit last years due to currency dropping. Used to be cheaper!

Reactions: TangoRomeo7688