• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka T3X CTR Stock Comb?

Turkeytider

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2022
Georgia
In the process of evaluating different guns for a 1000 yard rifle off of a bench. About the only cause for pause I have so far with the CTR is the non-adjustability of the comb. I see that they have a sort of fixed cheek riser (?) but have no idea how that would impact my cheek weld vis a vis whatever scope might go on the rifle. I`m not interested in buying another stock or chassis and pulling the action and dropping it in. I`d like to shoot the gun I buy. I know about cheek risers, get nervous thinking about drilling a stock. With the cheek riser that appears to already be on the gun, not sure how an add on riser would work anyway. Would appreciate any suggestions and input, particularly so from anyone shooting a CTR. Thanks much.

Reactions: USMC8551

Non-permanent, no alteration needed, solid cheek riser option. I have them on a few rifles and they work great. You’re welcome. :)

The Bradley is a good suggestion if it will play nice with the profile of the riser that currently exists on the stock.
There are some good stock pack options as well, look at Triad Tactical.
With the stock pack you can also add extra closed cell foam underneath to get the desired height if it's not enough.
Allen makes one as well that is minimalistic, cheap and useable.

Reactions: Basher

Non-permanent, no alteration needed, solid cheek riser option. I have them on a few rifles and they work great. You’re welcome. :)
Yeah, I`ve seen those. A possibility, maybe. Perhaps someone who has a CTR with a cheek riser that works well will respond.

In the process of evaluating different guns for a 1000 yard rifle off of a bench. About the only cause for pause I have so far with the CTR is the non-adjustability of the comb. I see that they have a sort of fixed cheek riser (?) but have no idea how that would impact my cheek weld vis a vis whatever scope might go on the rifle. I`m not interested in buying another stock or chassis and pulling the action and dropping it in. I`d like to shoot the gun I buy. I know about cheek risers, get nervous thinking about drilling a stock. With the cheek riser that appears to already be on the gun, not sure how an add on riser would work anyway. Would appreciate any suggestions and input, particularly so from anyone shooting a CTR. Thanks much.
I bought a CTR, and I had the same issue. You can try to mess with your scope ring height. I ended up getting a Beartooth comb riser from Scheels. It was under $30. A little bit of a pain in the ass to put on, but not too bad. And it worked pretty well.

It gets in the way of removing the bolt. It gets in the way of popping in your bore guide. And it gets in the way of the cleaning rod. The good thing is that you can push and shift it to the side, out of the way. But the bad thing is that it can shift a little bit on you while you're snapping in with a good cheek weld.

Overall, I didn't mind it, and it was helpful. I knew I was eventually getting a different chassis, though, with an adjustable cheek riser, so that's probably why I didn't mind it so much.

A tip for installation, if you do decide to go with a Beartooth: Once you decide you have the height stack you like, tape them together. It's significantly easier to put them in (the stock cover is really tight).

IMG_5039.jpegIMG_5038.jpeg

I bought a CTR, and I had the same issue. You can try to mess with your scope ring height. I ended up getting a Beartooth comb riser from Scheels. It was under $30. A little bit of a pain in the ass to put on, but not too bad. And it worked pretty well.

It gets in the way of removing the bolt. It gets in the way of popping in your bore guide. And it gets in the way of the cleaning rod. The good thing is that you can push and shift it to the side, out of the way. But the bad thing is that it can shift a little bit on you while you're snapping in with a good cheek weld.

Overall, I didn't mind it, and it was helpful. I knew I was eventually getting a different chassis, though, with an adjustable cheek riser, so that's probably why I didn't mind it so much.

A tip for installation, if you do decide to go with a Beartooth: Once you decide you have the height stack you like, tape them together. It's significantly easier to put them in (the stock cover is really tight).

View attachment 8417097View attachment 8417096
The Beartooth appears to get mixed reviews, due in large measure to the fact that apparently it`s a " bear " to fool with getting it on and just generally working with it. The Triad Tactical Pack looks interesting. Maybe when the time comes I`ll just look for a gun with an adjustable comb out of the box. Too bad that that would leave the CTR out of the running. An interesting thing is that Tikka makes a CTR with an adjustable comb, they just don`t sell them in the US.

The Beartooth appears to get mixed reviews, due in large measure to the fact that apparently it`s a " bear " to fool with getting it on and just generally working with it. The Triad Tactical Pack looks interesting. Maybe when the time comes I`ll just look for a gun with an adjustable comb out of the box. Too bad that that would leave the CTR out of the running. An interesting thing is that Tikka makes a CTR with an adjustable comb, they just don`t sell them in the US.
Yep. Don't blame you there. I would've likely eventually switched had I not known I was getting a different chassis. Some people love it, some people hate it.

I hope you find what you like, particularly w/ an adjustable stock.

I`m not interested in buying another stock or chassis and pulling the action and dropping it in. I`d like to shoot the gun I buy.
Everyone starts out like that but once you go to something adjustable it’s very tough to go back to factory.
If you are hard lined on the no customizations then you really should try one before you buy. It’s likely a lateral move and I think you would do just as well getting to 1k with your current savages.

Everyone starts out like that but once you go to something adjustable it’s very tough to go back to factory.
If you are hard lined on the no customizations then you really should try one before you buy. It’s likely a lateral move and I think you would do just as well getting to 1k with your current savages.
Yeah, I understand what you`re saying. Thanks. I could in all likelihood get out to 1K with the Model 12 LRPV with a 7 twist. Especially so if I handloaded and could get up into the 80+ grain bullets. I`ve thought about that. It`s just out to 1K yards a 6.5 Creed is so superior ballistically to a .223. I REALLY don`t want to change the gun away from .223 either because I enjoy shooting it so much at 500 ( and would probably go out to about 600 ) as it`s currently configured.

Yep. Don't blame you there. I would've likely eventually switched had I not known I was getting a different chassis. Some people love it, some people hate it.

I hope you find what you like, particularly w/ an adjustable stock.
Thank you sir. I`ll come up with something!!

As @spife7980 says, man, a chassis is just so sweet. Easy to add Arca or pic rails, weights, whatever. Nice upright handgrip.

For Tikka CTR-only mags, KRG makes a Bravo version for $400. I have one and it’s sweet. Add their $$$ adjustable LOP or cheaper $50 polymer tool-less buttpad height mechanism (use the included spacers for LOP) and you’re gtg.

But $400 is $400.

Man where was this the other week when I was looking for this! Didn't see this mentioned anywhere. Ended up ordering an adjustable riser from Matthew's Fabrication, requires drilling though.

Might give one of these a shot before I drill.