• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

To Piece together a Savage or not to...

madmanmarz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2009
Fl
Hello gentlemen. I have an old Savage 110 in .308 and its accuracy has inspired me to set another one up that's even more accurate.

Right now I'm wondering if it would be better to get a Target action and piece it together or whether I should just buy a cheapo 10 model and upgrade the stock. My concern is that I do not know what tools are required for barreling the action (since I cannot seem to find barreled actions). I am also undecided on the caliber but the minimum will be .308.

Also, is the Target action better than what comes in the package rifle?

Thanks.

Re: To Piece together a Savage or not to...

The Savage Arms website is usually pretty up-to-date and gives individual listings of rifles, features, and suggested list prices, which tend to be a bit more than retailers often actually charge.

If I were going to update to a more powerful cartridge, I would do so by obtaining a long action and an aftermarket barrel, and my choice would be for a .30-'06 chambering.

Builders like Kevin Rayhill and Sharpshooter Supply (Fred Moreo) do a very good job of uprading and reconfiguring Savages and can supply (and incorporate) all the bits you'd need for whatever you have in mind.

Look 'em up, give 'em a call.

Greg

I'm really interested in doing this myself. Not sure if I need much more than a wrench for the barrel nut and some kind of action block.

Looking to keep the cost of just the rifle around 1k, not sure if it would be significantly better to buy a target action and an aftermarket barrel or to just buy a package rifle with heavy barrel (I hear and know that Savage barrels are pretty good) and slap a new stock on it/bed it.

Gonna keep the caliber choice between .308 (since I already have one) and .300 WM (for the 1000 yard performance). I'm just getting into this precision stuff so I'm leaning more towards .308 for cost (plus the nearest 1k range is far) but then I consider that I can use my current .308 for practice.

I've got a barrel nut wrench I'll give you.
Just P.M. me your addy and it's yours if you want it.
I rebarreled the savage I used to have and that with a torquewrench and a vice and some headspace guages are all you'll need to get her done.

You are the man.

ETA: By any chance has anyone tried out the right side bolt/left side eject setup?