• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix Shooting Solutions Terrapin X 42

I will wait and see what are ranging capabilities comparing to sig 10k

I take it you've looked through these?

These are VERY, VERY different from the Sig. Having had all of the major 10X players side-by-side for a couple weeks, it's not a close comparison at all. I know there will be people that don't believe this no matter what we say, but they are incredibly different. Don't let one set of binos spoil you on all the others.
No not yet. Just basing off pictures and talking to people who looked through them. Haven't had a chance to see them first hand but am willing to give them a shot if they hold up. Im running NL pures right now but if these look anywhere close to as good, they would be an easy buy.

No not yet. Just basing off pictures and talking to people who looked through them. Haven't had a chance to see them first hand but am willing to give them a shot if they hold up. Im running NL pures right now but if these look anywhere close to as good, they would be an easy buy.
Like we say in the video, ANYTHING with a LRF that displays data has a film on the glass that allows you to cast the image, and the better resolution you want with the displayed data, you either need a stronger emitter, more opacity in the film, or both. It's simply how it works. Casting a display onto unfilmed glass is going to produce a very poor display. Vectronix did a very good job on the film.emitter balance, and interestingly only used the film in the right barrel of the binos. A smart way to get a better overall image, but it is going to produce some single-eye camera images that are less impressive than reality.

That said, some do a better or worse job at this. When we compared the major players here (another video dropping this week), the best glass in our opinion (among the LRF binos) is the Swaro EL Range. Close behind that would be the Leica or the Vector - Leica is a little brighter, Vector does a little better on resolution/color. Close behind those would be the Revic. The Fury HDs were ok, and then the Sigs were the Sigs.

Each of the first 4 is delivering a really nice optical package, though the NL Pure is going to be better than any of them - those may be the best glassed binos ever made.

Everything in any game is a matter of compromises, just have to figure out which ones are the best. If you don't need tech, keep the NLs, they're MONSTERS. If you start to want tech and versatility, well, it's going to cost you some amount of glass quality.

Thanks for the explanation. I had a set of geovids before the NL pure. They were pretty bad in mirage and I traded lack of laser for better glass ( spending 6 to 8 hours a day in binos, bad glass gets old fast).

If these are close to the leicas in glass quality without surface blue tint ( which has plagued tons of optics from sig10ks to trijicon mros and rmrs) then its an easy buy at that price. Especially with the range extenders to get a little more magnification.

After watching that video: my PTSD from my set of Sig 10Ks is coming back. I was absolutely and utterly disappointed with those binos. What a POS.

I guess we will have to wait and see what they look like once the masses receive them. For now, I held off on committing to preordering on EO.

Reactions: alfmoonspace
After watching that video: my PTSD from my set of Sig 10Ks is coming back. I was absolutely and utterly disappointed with those binos. What a POS.

I guess we will have to wait and see what they look like once the masses receive them. For now, I held off on committing to preordering on EO.
With the insight we have into production volumes and plausible demand, I don't think these will be exceptionally hard to get when you decide you want some. Maybe for the first couple months, but by Christmas I think these will be readily available from several sources.

Vectronix did a very good job on the film.emitter balance, and interestingly only used the film in the right barrel of the binos. A smart way to get a better overall image, but it is going to produce some single-eye camera images that are less impressive than reality.
I figured this was fairly common... Vortex did this with the Fury's

Are those EL Ranges or Geovids@ the 4:44 mark?

Last edited:
I’ll buy as long as there is no blue vision. Can’t even have a tint to it. Needs to be clear and crisp. Swaro and Leica can execute then why not?

I figured this was fairly common... Vortex did this with the Fury's

Are those EL Ranges or Geovids@ the 4:44 mark?
I’ll buy as long as there is no blue vision. Can’t even have a tint to it. Needs to be clear and crisp. Swaro and Leica can execute then why not?
We had the new Swaro, new Leica, new Revic, Vortex Fury, and Sig 10k units, alongside these, for 2-3 weeks. ONE unit had a tint that you looked through and went "woah". One unit, the least expensive, had "meh" glass. The other 4 were VERY good. I could likely hand anyone here any of those 4 units and you'd go "oh yeah, this is solid, I can dig this" - even though you've seen a photo posted somewhere that you may not have liked. I could post a blue tint photo for any LRF bino made, because of the way LRF binos and camera lenses work.

The nuance here is something that you'd need to have actual units in front of you, side by side, to notice. I'm not willing to lie or bend truth, because ALL of these units have film on them for the display to stick to, but I'll tell you that on 5 of the 6 it's not noticeable unless you go to lengths to spot it.

Currently running Swaro TA’s 8x - the FoV and resolution are second to none. Maybe my OG vector stays with it on a IQ perspective but the newest Leica was far behind the Swaros.

3k is a chunk. We will see where they stack up.

Currently running Swaro TA’s 8x - the FoV and resolution are second to none. Maybe my OG vector stays with it on a IQ perspective but the newest Leica was far behind the Swaros.

3k is a chunk. We will see where they stack up.
When we had them all together, the Swaro still has the best glass. Resolution, brightness, clarity - Swarovski is the glass standard for a reason. The tech side is a bit soft, but damn they make great glass.

When we had them all together, the Swaro still has the best glass. Resolution, brightness, clarity - Swarovski is the glass standard for a reason. The tech side is a bit soft, but damn they make great glass.
How long did you look through the vectors? I’m worried about looking through them for hours and getting eye fatigue, possibly a headache. This would be while hunting in the west.

Reactions: Secant
How long did you look through the vectors? I’m worried about looking through them for hours and getting eye fatigue, possibly a headache. This would be while hunting in the west.
I can't say we did this. Would do 5-10 minutes, talking through what we were seeing, what we were doing, and taking notes so that the videos could be as good as possible. One of us, wether me or Zach or Nathan, will likely end up spending a full day on them this summer at a match or two, though that's on/off vs the endless staring that you may do on a hunt.

With the insight we have into production volumes and plausible demand, I don't think these will be exceptionally hard to get when you decide you want some. Maybe for the first couple months, but by Christmas I think these will be readily available from several sources.

I might have missed it, but what is the expected in-stock/shipping date for you guys? For the lrf themselves, and/or with extensions?

What I really want to see is the ease of ranging tiny targets. I don't care at all about distance. I have the Steiner 1535 after testing them along with Swaro, Geovid Pro and 10K at my place from 50 yards to 6000 yards and through fences, trees, etc. I was able to hit little tiny targets through small holes with the Steiner that I could not with the others. The 10K work best in rain being able to change to last target.

The tech specs suggest the Vectronix has an even smaller laser than the Steiner.

I might have missed it, but what is the expected in-stock/shipping date for you guys? For the lrf themselves, and/or with extensions?
There are going to be a limited number of dealers with them initially, with all of us receiving at the same time in June/July. I'm probably missing someone, but we will have them, Euro, maybe Mile High, maybe a couple other of the larger optics houses.

Reactions: Cynical
I was RO at the WY NRL match last weekend. There were 2 sets that people had. I was able to spend a little time behind one set.
I dont know if they were prototypes or what I didnt ask that.

I didnt put them on a tripod to check laser placement etc. jsut held in hands for about 2 min.

Conditions were snow and partly cloudy

I dont remember any blue tint at all. I didnt know that was a thing but im sure i would have noticed.

I was underwhelmed on glass quality. Just felt like sig 3k's. maybe a step above. no where near leica or swaro. wish i had more time to set up on a tripod.

laser was great. didnt have anywhere far to range but ranged everything i pointed it at. wasnt slow like the old terrapin which is my only concern, man those things are slow. but it wasnt as fast as my sig or steiner either. def a pause but not bad. screen etc not too cluttered.

interested to see how they sell. my gut says they are a 2000-2200 optic. felt very comparable to the sig 10k feature wise without blue.

ETA - if tha laser is perfectly co witnessed to the crosshair and is able to hit small targets...id pay alot more than my guess above.

YMMV
DT

God dammit you guys 😂

Glass is “VERY good”

“Underwhelmed with glass…..nowhere near Leica or Swaro”

Why can’t I give someone more money for great glass + great electronics?
Welcome to the world of optics. Where the color of your own eyes can determine your experience with lens coatings.

Just posted this to IG/FB, with the following note:

6-Way LRF Bino Shootout - Coming tomorrow…

Note: The hardest part of this video was taking images through the binos. Getting focus, eye relief, full field of view, etc, with cameras, is almost impossible. Also, the ways cameras and our eyes see and process are very different. The image you see here is the result of tons of trial and error, and then hand processing images to make them as indicative of the actual picture as possible. In every image there is certainly something that we could go back and nitpick, or something that isn’t as representative as it possibly could be, so understand that there is no replacement for trying to find a unit and look through it with your own eyes.

[FULL RES HERE]

438065171_941395607709928_3004404823267981301_n.jpg

JFC... The sig10ks are atrocious 😂😂
They are uniquely blue. As I've said like 15 times in this thread, EVERYTHING has a film, and they're all some version of blue/gray, that's just how LRF binos work. For most of them, your eye doesn't naturally detect it, as the eye is an AMAZING thing.

But one unit is, well, different.

Welcome to the world of optics. Where the color of your own eyes can determine your experience with lens coatings.
I hear you. But there's not really a big argument over Leica Geovids or Swaro EL Range TA's. General consensus is that glass is good in those. Yeah, Pures (or other non BLRF) are better, but it's pretty consistent how people rate the Big 3/alpha brands' Bino LRFs. I can sit behind my Geovids for hours while hunting. I've never noticed any blue tint, and I've never heard or read of anyone experiencing blue tint with Geovids (yes, I know the laser is external) - just an example that there's no controversy with those.

I'm not saying there's a big argument or controversy over these either, but the very little initial comments that we've seen are wildly different. I desperately want these Vector X to be it for me, so I'm just hoping we see a little more uniform feedback when production models start getting out there. The difference between Sig 3k glass and 'almost as good' as Leica/Swaro is a pretty huge gap.

Why do a shootout with a pre-production model?

Cause that’s what you guys have, right?

Aren’t they changing a few things for the production one? Like laser? And display?

Why do a shootout with a pre-production model?

Cause that’s what you guys have, right?

Aren’t they changing a few things for the production one? Like laser? And display?
Our unit is a pre-production. The only expected differences in ours and serial production though are in the laser. Ours is Euro spec (weaker, by law), is not perfectly centered on the etched reticle (they had to make the pre-pro run before building the alignment tool) and the internal laser algorithm has not been calibrated for use with the extenders.

We think this is probably the lowest tier Vector X unit that will ever exist. We would be shocked if these don’t find a Swiss wastebasket before the end of the year. This opinion comes from years of getting pre-production optics and then getting serial production units later.

That said, this shootout specifically does not include laser capabilities. This is for the reasons above, as well as the fact that we don’t consider ourselves capable of fairly or consistently testing all of these binos capabilities in all conditions.

Regardless, we think many people will see or hear things that speak to them across the lineup when they watch the video. And, if not, it has cost you no more than a few minutes of listening to me talk on YouTube.

Last edited:

Note: The hardest part of this video was taking images through the binos. Getting focus, eye relief, full field of view, etc, with cameras, is almost impossible. Also, the ways cameras and our eyes see and process are very different. The image you see here is the result of tons of trial and error, and then hand processing images to make them as indicative of the actual picture as possible. In every image there is certainly something that we could go back and nitpick, or something that isn’t as representative as it possibly could be, so understand that there is no replacement for trying to find a unit and look through it with your own eyes.

[FULL RES HERE]

View attachment 8408781
The Sig 10k wins as it makes me feel like I’m in the Caribbean. Obviously guys SMDH 🙄 lusers

[FULL RES HERE]

View attachment 8408781
How come in the large hi rez version the Leica pic doesn’t have the red aiming dot like the small pic does? Not suggesting anything nefarious.

Small
46091202-2132-4F35-8D97-9A8C2E609D79.jpeg

Big
582625C4-6B2A-4E30-B098-2D52B67DDDEE.jpeg

Here guys, this will be my last post on this thread, as I’ll focus on the videos and posts on our SM pages.

The 6-bino shootout, in the most fair, representative, open way we could do them. I’ll say, this may have been the most difficult to make video we’ve done, simply because of the amount and nature of the content, some of the strong feelings we knew we would encounter, and how dang hard it is to show glass through a camera.

Here guys, this will be my last post on this thread, as I’ll focus on the videos and posts on our SM pages.

The 6-bino shootout, in the most fair, representative, open way we could do them. I’ll say, this may have been the most difficult to make video we’ve done, simply because of the amount and nature of the content, some of the strong feelings we knew we would encounter, and how dang hard it is to show glass through a camera.

Thx for all of the hard work. I totally get how hard it is to do that type of comparo, one that many have failed at.

What’s “SM” pages?

Nice video! I think you guys were pretty fair. Didn’t care for the X-factor thing, but it didn’t get in the way.

I’d love to see a scenario-based bino LRF review, where you take a popular scenario and step the viewer through it with each bino.

Scenarios like, say, “UKD multiple targets” or “Elk hunting above tree line” or my personal fav, “Blasting Prairie Dogs” haha.

You’d talk about things like if someone had a wind meter (and how it integrates) in a given scenario, if the wind is changing between shots, how one inputs rifles and ammo into the bino/app, etc.

I don’t mean an exhaustive micro-step by micro step. More like if you were explaining to an interested friend how bino X works in a given scenario. The pros and cons.

Anyway, thx for the hard work!

They are uniquely blue. As I've said like 15 times in this thread, EVERYTHING has a film, and they're all some version of blue/gray, that's just how LRF binos work. For most of them, your eye doesn't naturally detect it, as the eye is an AMAZING thing.

But one unit is, well, different.
Brother you are talking to people who have owned and spent time behind EVERY LRF, Spotter and binos out there. We know what to expect and we know the difference between good glass, bad glass, tinted glass, bright glass, ect.

The Sigs are comically blue. I looked through the set that Nite had and literally laughed out loud and said what the fuck is this smurf shit. Every pair I have looked through is the same. I have owned every generation of leica rangerfinder since the old 800s. Geovids, Ziess, Steiner and Swaro...none of them had a blue tint. Granted the glass quality in them was never the Alpha lines but they were perfectly serviceable. None of them had a tint.

Now Trijicon has a blue tint, sig has a blue tint and it looks like these may too.

We know everything has a film. But to pretend like they are anything similar is nuts. There have been a few pictures of the new Vectronix out there that show considerable blue tint. Your picture is the first one what doesn't.

Dorgan said they looked like ass, and that's coming from a guy shooting a burris :) So it appears either someone is fucking with everyone and making photoshop blue or there is a huge unit variance between them. Something is not adding up.