• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6mm BRA

The cartridge in a well-constructed rifle is sort of easy mode in everything... loading, fire forming, shooting, barrel life. It's only weakness is wind.

Landing on this cartridge out of the array available was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

how is the weakness wind? what are you comparing it to?

Varget has worked extremely well in the 2 BRA barrels I've used it in. Never did play with 4895 too much because of this.

Reactions: nrspence
Bigger cased, faster rounds like 6 CM
gotcha!

so how much faster do you run a 6CM? i shoot 109s in my current 6BRA at 2920 and 105s at 2975 out of the last barrel with 12g less powder...last barrel was at 2100 rounds when i pulled it and still shot in the mid 3s.

i know a 6CM can run faster...my last 6CM barrel i ran 105s at 3220...problem was every 50 rounds i had to adjust seating +.005 or it would open up and that barrel was done at 800-820 rounds...BUT DAMN that was fun LOL.

Varget has worked extremely well in the 2 BRA barrels I've used it in. Never did play with 4895 too much because of this.

Not much point to, if you found a powder your barrels like.

Personally, I would much prefer to shoot then experiment with a bunch of different powders and do a bunch of different load testing.

Until it gives up on you at 1000 rounds in the middle of the match. Turns out that wind advantage is on the edge of useless, unless you switch barrels every 800 rounds. Effectively a 2 match barrel.

👆TRUTH! exactly why I am going the BRA route after four 6 creed barrel. More barrel life will be nice.

Reactions: kthomas
gotcha!

so how much faster do you run a 6CM? i shoot 109s in my current 6BRA at 2920 and 105s at 2975 out of the last barrel with 12g less powder...last barrel was at 2100 rounds when i pulled it and still shot in the mid 3s.

i know a 6CM can run faster...my last 6CM barrel i ran 105s at 3220...problem was every 50 rounds i had to adjust seating +.005 or it would open up and that barrel was done at 800-820 rounds...BUT DAMN that was fun LOL.

I sold my 6 CM when I got my BRA - I didn't see a need for both. I was running mine at about 3100 fps with the 105s.

One of the main reasons I ditched it is barrel life. Through just under 1000 rounds with my BRA, I've only lost .015 - .02 (give or take for inaccuracies in measuring).

Reactions: 47guy and nrspence
I sold my 6 CM when I got my BRA - I didn't see a need for both. I was running mine at about 3100 fps with the 105s.

One of the main reasons I ditched it is barrel life. Through just under 1000 rounds with my BRA, I've only lost .015 - .02 (give or take for inaccuracies in measuring).

IMHO the BRA is the perfect balance between accuracy performance and barrel life...love this little cartridge.

Hey guys from what I'm seeing most if you are running 7, 7.5 twist is that still a good concensus? Also which off the shelf dies for the 6bra? And I'm guessing any bullet around 105?

Hey guys from what I'm seeing most if you are running 7, 7.5 twist is that still a good concensus? Also which off the shelf dies for the 6bra? And I'm guessing any bullet around 105?
I've got a 7.5 twist, works well. 105 Hybrids (but I haven't tested others much). Harrell's Precision sizer via OTM, and any Dasher seater you like (I've got a Forster).

I'm using Whidden sizing and nothing beats an arbor press for seating - using K&M with the 6 BRA LE Wilson die

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
There are lots of good die options...I like Harrell’s dies direct from Harrells. Send them three pieces of fired brass and they will set you up.

They have multiple sizes that vary by about ten thou for the right amount of sizing. BUT...be sure to tell them what you are using it for...PRS not Benchrest so you get clearance suitable for field use.

Not bad for $80!

ZY

7.5 twist
Whidden off the rack sizing die, 21st mandrel, SAC seater
PVA 95 Senecas

I have a couple more questions regarding the 6bra, so I'm mainly shooting 6.5x47, varget/sw precision, 140 hybrids, fgmm primers. One thing I love about the 47 is it doesn't grow in length, I use a moderate load of around 37 grains of the forementioned powders, and a regular fl bushings die. Its been easy to load for and a pleasure to shoot.

Can I expect similar results with the 6br/bra? Also I see alot of talk about custom dies, dies matched to the print of chamber and freebore etc. How important is all of this?

Can I likely get good results from a off the shelf die and a dasher seater?

I plan to order a couple thousand projectiles once I pull the trigger on the barrel, is this advisable? I plan on getting berger or hornady 105s.

I have a couple more questions regarding the 6bra, so I'm mainly shooting 6.5x47, varget/sw precision, 140 hybrids, fgmm primers. One thing I love about the 47 is it doesn't grow in length, I use a moderate load of around 37 grains of the forementioned powders, and a regular fl bushings die. Its been easy to load for and a pleasure to shoot.

Can I expect similar results with the 6br/bra? Also I see alot of talk about custom dies, dies matched to the print of chamber and freebore etc. How important is all of this?

I plan to order a couple thousand projectiles once I pull the trigger on the barrel, is this advisable? I plan on getting berger or hornady 105s.

i shot 3 barrels in 6.5x47 my cases grew not by much but still grew so yes at some point you will need to trim...your reamer print will tell you how long you can run your cases.

you do not need custom dies for the BR/BRA...i run off the shelf whiddens...and yes you can expect good results with OTS dies...as a matter of fact the BR/BRA is not finicky or picky they will shoot just about anything you throw at them as far as components go.....another good thing if you go with a BR/BRA youll be saving 5-7g of powder every round over your 47...if a 6BR/BRA wont shoot in the low .3s with minimal load development and decent components something is wrong with the gun or the driver.

i shot 3 barrels in 6.5x47 my cases grew not by much but still grew so yes at some point you will need to trim...your reamer print will tell you how long you can run your cases.

you do not need custom dies for the BR/BRA...i run off the shelf whiddens...and yes you can expect good results with OTS dies...as a matter of fact the BR/BRA is not finicky or picky they will shoot just about anything you throw at them as far as components go.....another good thing if you go with a BR/BRA youll be saving 5-7g of powder every round over your 47...if a 6BR/BRA wont shoot in the low .3s with minimal load development and decent components something is wrong with the gun or the driver.
Did your whidden die come with the expander button? What seater are you running? Are the 105 bergers/hornadys a good way to go or will I get differing results within 100-110 grain bullets?

Did your whidden die come with the expander button? What seater are you running? Are the 105 bergers/hornadys a good way to go or will I get differing results within 100-110 grain bullets?

The Whidden dies come with the expander ball, but I'd recommend using an expander mandrel.

Yes, you can expect similar results with the BRA. Same powders, I'd add H4895 to the list as maybe even slightly preferable to Varget. BRA doesn't grow barely at all in length, maybe a couple thousandths in 10 firings. If you chamfer/debur that will pretty much take off any case growth.

I'd say off the shelf dies are fine, Harrells bushing die would be the simplest choice, you could skip the expander mandrel or expander ball entirely if you aren't denting up your case neck. Forster Dasher die for a seater works well.

I'd recommend the Berger 105 Hybrids over the Horndays.

I am a believer on the accuracy, stability, and node width of load over time. And agree, if you are not sub ~1/2 MOA, probably not at a good load or something going on. Lapua Brass, H4895 at 30.5, 105 Hyb, ~ 20 thou off. Right at 2905 @ 40 degrees...a little faster in the summer. SDs around 3 or 4.

I have Varget, 95s, 107s, etc...but just saw not reason to burn the time or components trying to do better. FF with Varget is about 100 FPS slower and easy sub 1/2 MOA.

This was shot yesterday (5x 3 shot groups and 1x 5 shot) with gloves on, two different charge weights, PVA barrel, at 1800 rounds, on a just cleaned barrel. The "nasty" 5 shot group was shot in <10 seconds and still 0.7 MOA. The boxes are not 1/2"...but 5/8". Shot all all of these in about 8 minutes. I keep measuring to trim, but no growth... So yes, I like it.

Attachments

• bra.jpg
    bra.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

sheldon pretty much said what I would of but I prefer varget over 4895...I use off the shelf whidden dies and shoot 105 or 109 hybrids...109 hybrids are my go to right now.

sheldon pretty much said what I would of but I prefer varget over 4895...I use off the shelf whidden dies and shoot 105 or 109 hybrids...109 hybrids are my go to right now.

What are you doing for seating depth on the 109s?

What are you doing for seating depth on the 109s?

.070 off but I have my smith throat my barrels to .170 on the last one and .150 on my current barrel...I just ordered a reamer with .150 freebore I think that’s about perfect.

ive had better continued accuracy and consistency with big jumps over the life of the barrel.

.070 off but I have my smith throat my barrels to .170 on the last one and .150 on my current barrel...I just ordered a reamer with .150 freebore I think that’s about perfect.

ive had better continued accuracy and consistency with big jumps.

That may be my issue with them. I haven't played a ton with the 109s, but I can't seem to get them to shoot as well as the 105s.

That may be my issue with them. I haven't played a ton with the 109s, but I can't seem to get them to shoot as well as the 105s.

these are 109s playing with loads and a barrel tuner all .070 off...before I started playing with the tuner I was .070 off with 31.1g of varget and it shot tiny groups as well

FD4BBA9D-52A0-4A29-AF5E-1C8BC028DCBD.jpeg
CF7CCF89-576C-4B8D-A32F-7910FCD3B121.jpeg
C6DACE83-0AA8-4614-BD2C-6551E19D594C.jpeg

Reactions: Sheldon N
6 BRA FIRE FORM load:

- New Lapua 6 BR Brass
- CCI 400's
- Berger 105 Hybrid
- 30gr. Varget
- .015 off lands

I am not sure of the velocity as I am still just screwing around fire forming. This is from a 26" Impact Precision by Stuteville that was bought pre-chambered from Impact Precision Shooting and I simply threaded it onto my Impact receiver.
The attached target is just a fun little "varmint match" target that dad and I shoot at 200 yards off a bipod, rear bag and bench. We have fun with it. These are shots 64-73 down the new barrel. Penny in picture is for "bulls eye" reference.

There was no "science" to this load, just took 6BR load data. My father also shoots a straight 6BR so I was able to piggy back off of him also.
I know this thread is older, but I’m curious about your results using the CCI 400. My son (13) are diving into the 6 br. Ground up builds. Anywho, primers are about impossible to find , I have a bunch of 400’s and I’m wondering if they will work well. Any help is much appreciated!

I haven't seen much difference in performance between the 400 and any other SRP, but the cup is thinner than on the 450 and might not handle high pressure loads as well. So just be careful if you're pushing the limits

Reactions: 6coyt
I know this thread is older, but I’m curious about your results using the CCI 400. My son (13) are diving into the 6 br. Ground up builds. Anywho, primers are about impossible to find , I have a bunch of 400’s and I’m wondering if they will work well. Any help is much appreciated!

the 6BR is not real finicky...what powder and bullets are you planing to use?

There are quite a few people using 400's in the BRA thread over on Accurate Shooter. Obviously more options are better, but if that's all you have then I'm sure you can find something that works. Like others have said just don't jump into a really hot load from someone using 450's or BR4's.

There are quite a few people using 400's in the BRA thread over on Accurate Shooter. Obviously more options are better, but if that's all you have then I'm sure you can find something that works. Like others have said just don't jump into a really hot load from someone using 450's or BR4's.
It’s definitely not my 1st choice, but it’s my only choice at the moment!🤪. Hopefully we’ll only have to use them to fire form brass. Maybe by then the primmer gods will quench our thirst.🤔. Thank for the help!

the 6BR is not real finicky...what powder and bullets are you planing to use?
Plenty of varget on hand , N140 & 150 as well. Planned on varget and then playing with the others. 95 SMK, 95 Berger vld. 105 vld. May pickup some hornady for fire forming.

Plenty of varget on hand , N140 & 150 as well. Planned on varget and then playing with the others. 95 SMK, 95 Berger vld. 105 vld. May pickup some hornady for fire forming.

if your doing a straight BR 30g of varget with a 105 and run a seating test....if that gun dont shoot a 1 hole group(or REAL close to it)theres something wrong with the gun or the shooter.

Until it gives up on you at 1000 rounds in the middle of the match. Turns out that wind advantage is on the edge of useless, unless you switch barrels every 800 rounds. Effectively a 2 match barrel.
Lets not forget that even if you see 2 matches of barrel life... you won't ever stay in your node for a whole match. ;)

if your doing a straight BR 30g of varget with a 105 and run a seating test....if that gun dont shoot a 1 hole group(or REAL close to it)theres something wrong with the gun or the shooter.
Haha! Probably the shooter, time will tell! Do you think that’s safe with CCI-400? Really only 1 way to be sure!😳

Varget and N140 have worked great with 105 hybrids for me, and had identical velocities. The Varget was more temperature sensitive in what I tested, which surprised me, and I've heard N140 is way cleaner.

Haha! Probably the shooter, time will tell! Do you think that’s safe with CCI-400? Really only 1 way to be sure!😳

yes! 30g of varget with any primer is a known safe accuracy load...most of the BR crowd run 30+g of varget with CCI450s.

Varget and N140 have worked great with 105 hybrids for me, and had identical velocities. The Varget was more temperature sensitive in what I tested, which surprised me, and I've heard N140 is way cleaner.
Same amount of powder?

Same amount of powder?
Varget vs N140 in 6BRA.png

Yep. 6 BRA and 105 Hybrids from a 26" barrel, 1x fired Lapua brass, and 69 deg F. Using BR4 primers so again, work up slowly (and I may have missed pressure signs at the upper loads). I ended up at 31.5 gr for both.

Last edited:
Do the guys who’s loads favour CCI-450s find that BR-4s shoot just as well but cost more?

I run 205’s in my wife’s br and my bra, you’ll be fine. Seat them consistent, and you’ll have great results