• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR-10? We don't need no steenking AR-10!

scudzuki

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2012
Philadelphia suburbs
FN replaced my original FNAR (20" standard barrel) which just did not shoot.
The rifle carries a 1 MOA 3 shot guarantee, which it would not do with Federal GMM or handloads with 168 SMKs.
With military ammo it was terrible, 3 MOA or so.
It was also a weapon that I could not shoot unsupported, very muzzle heavy. Although it was not all that heavy overall, it was all barrel.

Took 3 months but the other day, UPS showed up with a mystery package.
It was like Christmas in September!
Nothing better than a new weapon, but one that appears out of the blue is even better.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered the new rifle was the 16" barreled version.
I was impressed by how much the balance of the rifle improved, and got to thinking that for my intended purpose (target and steel out to 600, possibly hunting/tactical if SHTF) a .308 doesn't give up that much with a short barrel. Rather than go through the headache of trying to get FN to send me the correct replacement, I figured I'd give it a try.

Mounted my USO SR-8s on it with some high rings I had sitting around, and with the tall comb and Triad stock pack installed, cheek weld is perfect. Maybe I'll get some medium rings if the pairing works out as it's a little tall.

Ran 65 rounds through it yesterday including PPU FMJ and an OCW with IMR 4007SSC & 168 gr SMKs, not the best powder, but it was available when there was nothing else around, with promising results.

Gonna try another OCW with a H414 next.

Maybe I'll look for another stock for it, too.

With 20 rounds of ammo it weighs 12 lbs., quite manageable.

Joe

Attachments

• FNAR-16.jpg
    FNAR-16.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
It's a new rifle, not a rebarrel.

2 out of 7 charge weights shot MOA (4 shot groups).

It seems to shoot much better with ball ammo, too, but I spent most of it zeroing the scope.

The original rifle would have been tossing flyers after 10 rounds, it did not like getting hot. Doesn't seem to affect this one.

Joe