• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget precision AR build for a gift

Dirty8404

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2018
Ok, here’s the situation.

I want to put together a tackdriver for a really great guy who would never spend the money on himself.

I’m on a limited budget myself, but I have around 1k to spend on this. He has a lower assembly, I’m sure the trigger is crap so I’d like to fit that in if possible.

This is what I’m thinking, I need suggestions/ideas.

Best to get the parts to build an AR as opposed to a bolt gun, since it’s cheaper for the return (I think).

Barrel: White Oak SPR 18”, on sale at Brownells, with gas tube/block. I can get it all for like $280.

RPR takeoff keymod rail that I already have (not sure if it will work on an AR15?). If not, need suggestions on a free float rail.

Glass: this is huge, was gonna pick up a used XTR II of some flavor, not willing to drop much in glass quality, but needs to be around $700ish. He won’t spend the money on good glass so this is big.

Upper: open

Bolt: worth getting a JP?

Trigger: I love the SSA-E I have but not sure I can fit that in the budget, ideas? Again, I don’t think he will drop $ on this so I need to get it.

He told me he is shooting at crows with a 22mag of some variety but is disappointed in range/accuracy. He reloads, and I know he has 223 dies and brass for a regular chromelined AR, so I think 5.56 is the way to go. A high quality AR barrel with good glass will blow his mind I think with good reloads.

Figure I’ll have to go a little past 1k to get it all together, but the guy is a recently retired pastor who officiated over both of my parents funerals so I want to make it happen and I need more brain power than I have to get it priced out. I think if I get the big ticket stuff he will fill in the blanks with budget stuff, so that’s where my priority is.

Thanks gents!

If you hurry, Aero has a $15 off $100 coupon (FLASH517) tonight and an M4E1 enhanced upper with 15" Mlok free float rail and ambi charging handle for $280.

Economy shipping was free and no tax collected for my state so I ordered one for $265 out the door.

That's a good price for a nice upper receiver and free float setup.

I'm not sure if your RPR rail would work on a standard AR upper but it's probably not as solid as the Aero enhanced setup.

I have found no better deals on BCGs than Toolcraft at WC Armory, the last I bought was a nitrided BCG for $80. They have nickel boron for a few bucks more. The only BCG I've bought cheaper was a $75 parkerized Delton but the nitrided Toolcraft is much nicer.

I'm not sure what barrel I'm going to buy but I'm pretty sure my upper will be less than $650 total without skimping anywhere.

Last edited:
I just ordered a keystone 20" button barrel for 263 delivered, that may be an option. Granite ridge has an aero M4E1 enhanced upper and handguard for about 200. Just some suggestions.

Larue MBT trigger can be had for $100 on sale and I like it as much as the SSA. I dont think it is worth it for the JP BCG if you are on a budget. Get a toolcraft from Right To Bear, on sale for $69.99 today.

ALG is a good rail that doesn't break the bank

BCM usually has Blem or Demo uppers for under $70 on their website. These are nice for precision builds as they are a tight fit. Another option is Granite Ridge sells Aero upper/handguard sets for around 200 depending on what you want

I would wait for Memorial day sales as well. Probably be good deals at places like Primary Arms

Really appreciate the input guys. Missed the Aero sale last night, the Aero upper/handguard set looks solid though.

He will probably not do any milling, but definitely will shoot some steel so a FFP for spotting misses, and illum for coyotes at dusk would be ideal, but not a must.

I really like Toolcraft as well, think it’s worth getting a JP bolt? I’ve heard that dimensionally they are very consistent. The return may be minimal, perhaps someone has some experience?

Definitely going to build the upper, I want something that will shoot in the .6 range or better and I don’t trust a PSA or Stag to do that. My BCM SS410 upper runs about .7 so if the WOA can hit that level I might get one of those barrels for my rifle.

Right now I’m at $480 for a stripped upper with the White Oak SPR barrel, I have a charging handle sitting around, just need to figure out the bolt and trigger. Still leaning towards a used 3-15 XTRII, which puts me at ~$1200.

Can anyone comment on the difference in glass quality between the 3-15 XTRII and SWFA SS? I don’t see zero stop and illum as a dealbreaker for him, and it brings down the cost by 100-200 bucks.

Was going to go with the Granite Ridge deal, will check out the BCM blems and ALG.

Totally forgot about the Memorial Day sales, good call. I’ll pull the trigger on ordering the Toolcraft BCG today.

I have one LR308 type JP BCG. It is very nice and nitride coated but it cost three times as much as a Nickel Boron Toolcraft.

Side by side there doesn't seem to be enough different to worry about.

I like the JP SCS system, I think that gives you a nice smooth feel and no twang, it's one area that I would splurge on. The BCG, not so much.

I had a XTRII and still have an SS 3-15. The SS is the better scope. Resolution is so much better. You can also buy shims from a member here for cheap and make your own zero stop. Get the SS and don’t look back.