• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Correctly setting up RCBS full length sizing die in Dillon 550

Skimafia

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Utah
I couldnt decide if this belonged in here or if it was worth of a place in the stupid question section. Here it goes.

I am loading with a 2 die setup on a Dillon 550. I am using a full length resizing die and a bullet seating die. I am getting conflicting information on the proper way to set up the sizing die. I wanted to confirm what I am doing as right or wrong. The RCBS setup instructions say to screw the seating die until it lightly contacts the shell holder, lower the charge handle and then screw the die an additional 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn to achieve a cam over effect when the charge handle is fully pressed.
I have checked a couple videos of people setting up dies on Dillon presses and see that rather than screwing the die further in they will back it out slightly so it is just off of the face of the bottom plate of the press. I currently have mine set up the way the RCBS instructions show where the die is screwed in an additional 1/8 turn.

One thing worth mentioning is that although I do have a progressive, I really dont use it that way, I dont use the powder charge station step at all.

How far you screw the die down is based off how much you are bumping the shoulder back. Have you measured your brass that is fired in the rifle your loading for with a case comparator? You need to know that number. Then subtract .003-.005 and start trying to size your brass. Screw the die down 1/4 turn at a time till your brass measured you case headspace minus. 003-.005.....

I have not. I tried to set it to where when it cammed over that there was as little resistance with the press at that point as I felt comfortable with. I was trying to get as little bump as possible to avoid a huge stretch in the length of my brass before trimming. I have yet to buy the tool needed to measure the jump at the shoulder.

I have been prepping brass for a 7SAUM and have only done that load so far. I have another 2 die set coming for a Creedmoor that is supposed to arrive today and I want to set up that on a separate tool head to try and match factory Hornady 140 grain ELDx ammo.

If you aren't measuring your case then your guessing and will have zero idea how much your bumping...spend the money and buy the comparator. You have no way of knowing if your excessively bumping the brass.

Awesome. Thank you for the advise.
I jumped into this whole process with some experience but I wasnt ever really loading for ultimate accuracy. I was just making range loads for the most part.

With the shell plate up, screw the die down until it makes contact, then back it off 1/2 turn and snug up the lock ring. Size a couple and check with a chamber gage and adjust the die from there. Would definitely recommend a chamber gage to start with.

Do you guys have preferences on which gauge is worth getting? Im having a tough time finding a sinclair for both a 7saum and a 6.5 creedmoor at the moment

Case gage ... sorry about that. No preference here, Dillon Precision or Wilson will do the trick!!!

Yes, either will work. For "range banging", the go, no-go case gage will do IMO. To measure shoulder bump (and minimize brass work-hardening) get the comparator. You'll need a set of calipers and be sure to get the case shoulder inserts v. the inserts for determining bullet seating off the lands, though eventually, you'll want those too ...

Do it like the instructions say, until you learn more and feel you can make up your own mind, based on your own knowledge and experience. The extra 1/8 turn, like you did the first time, will work fine until you have a case length gauge. Your loaded ammo won't be more accurate after you get the case gauge, but it will likely last longer, due to not being stretched so much each time it is fired. If you ever use the method which requires you to back of the die from the top of the press ram, you need a few metal washers between the top of the ram and the bottom of the die, to make sure the die remains squared up with the press ram. Also, you may need to back of the bullet seating die, using a spacing washer or two, to make sure you are not crimping your bullets. The die information should tell you if there is a crimping function when the die is screwed down all the way onto the top of the shell holder.

I am already in business. Thank you guys for the help. I had a hoready comparator and insert set for measuring base to ogive. With that set I had the lock for the digital caliper. I ran down to my local Sportsmans and picket up a hornady headspace gauge bushing for a 7saum and a 6.5 creedmoor. I got home and measured 5 fire formed brass and had consistent readings of 1.630 for all 5. I will lube them up and adjust my sizing die to 1.628 or so and see how they feed. If they chamber smoothly I'll reload off of that bump

Sounds so like you're all set! I say that to make ammo you don't need to measure but to make good ammo it's necessary. 30 bucks in inserts will more than pay for itself in brass life in short order.