• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Does a low backpressure silencer make a difference on a bolt gun?

higginsworksforme

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
Kentucky
I've concluded that a traditional silencer isn't ideal for PRS because of the recoil. Has anyone used a low backpressure can like a huxwrx or similar with good results?

It’s not going to do anything more for recoil then a regular can IMO.

At least nothing that’s actually being able to be felt.

I’ve used both my oss can and a dominus. The difference between them is nothing compared to swapping either one for a hellfire brake.

Sounds like you want a can with a brake, look at either the maverick or whatever the TBAC combo magnus is.

I just got my area419 maverick and swapping between it and a kgm 6.5 I notice a difference in recoil and see a little more trace with the maverick. I feel the maverick is about the best compromise a guy can have currently between a brake or straight suppressor.

Reactions: just browsing
I don't see a Thunderbeast Magnus that has a brake. They all look like regular cans. Did they stop selling the combo thing?

Half your squad, or more will be running obnoxious brakes. About the only advantage a can brings to PRS is on the rare occasion you are shooting through a culvert. Other than that, brakes win in every performance metric.

Suppressors for belly matches

Brakes for barricade matches

Low backpressure cans are for Redditors

Reactions: hic28
What does reddit have to do with this? I don't see how your reply is meant to educate or inform us.
I think he’s just throwing shade. Like, if you are mag dumping into a trash pile, a low back pressure can may allow your AR to run long enough that the barrel bursts, or the can self-immolates. But, if you are shooting a PRS match (even with a gas gun), AND you made the poor decision to use a can instead of a brake, the difference between a normie can and a low back pressure can is just the size of the argument that it causes on Reddit.

Reactions: waveslayer
This is Snipers Hide. Precision bolt guns. Zero need to fear backpressure on these platforms. Let's not make up reasons to bring all that new gun owner, highly impressionable, low back pressure, Pew Science, "My Dude", "____ gang , rise up", "hits different", "that slaps" bullshit to this forum.

You're going to think I'm talking more shit, but I'm going to do you a favor. Go find Zak Smith's early articles on AccurateShooter forum comparing 6.5x47L and 260 in AI rifles(before anyone really had AI rifles) and suppressors (before most people really had suppressors). Then recognize the lineage of TBAC suppressors, Steel Safari, and modern day Action Precision Rifle competition. Do that before you start calling people poors and funds.

Being a newb doesn't make you not-a-Fudd.

Half your squad, or more will be running obnoxious brakes. About the only advantage a can brings to PRS is on the rare occasion you are shooting through a culvert. Other than that, brakes win in every performance metric.

I agree with the sentiments of this post.

However, I find the biggest advantage of a suppressor at a match is the lack of concussion that comes your way, as a shooter.

Yes, matches are noisy. But you don't get much/any of the concussion from the other shooters with their muzzle brakes. But shooting with a muzzle brake for two days straight over 200+ rounds does beat you up.

Suppressors for belly matches

Brakes for barricade matches

Low backpressure cans are for Redditors
79C17CB3-8F88-4BEC-BEED-DC41E8E1F823.gif

Reactions: JR1200W3