• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNAR carbon fiber stock - is there is a need for it?

vtb

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
Evil Empire. Moscow.
Hello overthere.

Since we're preparing to make a tactical version of carbon fiber stock (full story - here) we were discussing it with guys at Russian guns forum.
And there was a guy who said he want to have classic stock for his BAR Match rifle (FNAR) since separate stock with pistol grip and foreend are ugly.

I recall there was version of FNAR with mcmillan stock:
7802890.jpg

but as i remember FN abandoned the project - only 1 rifle was made and have been shown at SHOT.

Question is - is there is a need for such stock for FNAR owners? Or hype with FNAR is over and nobody cares?
I think we can make experiment with the FNAR owner in Russia and will make 1 stock. But the if there is a need for such stock in US it'll be easier for us just to run a batch.

The FNAR is not that popular of a rifle here is the US, primarily due to the over abundance, availability, and selection of 308 ARs available. Instead I would recommend making a stock for the M1A. Few years back manners was going to make a lightweight stock for the M1A that never became reality. Even if you make a carbonfiber one that had half as much demand as there was for the manners version, I'm sure youd be able to sell quite a few.

thats somewhat apples to oranges and the JAE stock is very heavy while a carbon fiber one would be the exact opposite.

I have ZERO interest in the McMillan/Precision type stock for the FNAR that was going to be offered as the FNAR Match, but there was a LOT of interest in both the complete rifle and whether or not McMillan was going to offer the stocks as a separate item for people to "upgrade" their basic FNARs.

This project from FN/McM died on the vine if memory serves because of the extreme R&D, costs and other work involved. Dick at McM has said that the project required a specially modified receiver to allow bolting it up to a standard one piece stock and that as a result, NO STOCKS would be made for the aftermarket. That turned a lot of folks off to the whole concept, but assuming you could figure out a "match" or "precision" rifle stock for the FNAR that wouldn't require modifying the receiver or an exorbitant amount of cost for the upgrades...I'm sure there'd be a market for it as the options for "upgrading" an FNAR are pretty much nonexistent, especially with regard to stocks.

The FNAR is not that popular of a rifle here is the US, primarily due to the over abundance, availability, and selection of 308 ARs available.

Yeah, but with the latest rash of AW bans for a bunch of states you are left with lot of people who either can't or won't get AR style firearms anymore... I bet that FNAR match would be selling pretty well now. An Anschütz style stock like a McMillan or JAE for the FNAR would be a great option. Sure many would prefer an M1A, but they are pricey and would require more work to be "featureless"