• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Individually owned NFA question

Lunar95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
If I have an individually owned NFA item like a suppressor, can other people shoot it along as I am around? I though people couldn't but I have had several tell me it's perfectly legal along as I don't leave it with them.

If I have an individually owned NFA item like a suppressor, can other people shoot it along as I am around? I though people couldn't but I have had several tell me it's perfectly legal along as I don't leave it with them.

Yes, for now.

Keith

Last edited:
I've let tons of folks who were on the fence about which can to buy, shoot my cans on their rifles while I was standing right there beside them at the range, so they knew what sounded good on their particular gun. 👍🏼

From what I was told... As long as you are still right there beside them, you're still considered to be "in control (possession)" of the item. That said, you CANNOT let them take it into the woods with them while you're hunting in a different tree stand, even if you're both on the same private property. That is not legal. You have to be able to physically SEE and TOUCH your NFA item for it to still be considered legally in your possession.

You CAN, however, go through the process of adding someone to your trust (family member or trusted friend), and then they can be in full-possession of the item at any time, even if you're not around. You can even let them borrow it or use it whenever they want, and take it hunting, or shooting, etc... just as long as they also have a copy of the trust showing that they're allowed to be in possession of it. 👍🏼

I've let tons of folks who were on the fence about which can to buy, shoot my cans on their rifles while I was standing right there beside them at the range, so they knew what sounded good on their particular gun. 👍🏼

From what I was told... As long as you are still right there beside them, you're still considered to be "in control (possession)" of the item. That said, you CANNOT let them take it into the woods with them while you're hunting in a different tree stand, even if you're both on the same private property. That is not legal. You have to be able to physically SEE and TOUCH your NFA item for it to still be considered legally in your possession.

You CAN, however, go through the process of adding someone to your trust (family member or trusted friend), and then they can be in full-possession of the item at any time, even if you're not around. You can even let them borrow it or use it whenever they want, and take it hunting, or shooting, etc... just as long as they also have a copy of the trust showing that they're allowed to be in possession of it. 👍🏼
My biggest concern is mammoth you have to shoot your partners gun and my rifle has a can on it, I'm worried I'll have to be that idiot taking it off mid stage so he can shoot my rifle, something I have to pay attention to I guess

My biggest concern is mammoth you have to shoot your partners gun and my rifle has a can on it, I'm worried I'll have to be that idiot taking it off mid stage so he can shoot my rifle, something I have to pay attention to I guess
Never shot Mammoth, so no idea how its setup. Are you both side-by-side when you swap rifles mid-stage? Do you immediately swap back to your own guns after shooting that one portion of the stage?

Never shot Mammoth, so no idea how its setup. Are you both side-by-side when you swap rifles mid-stage? Do you immediately swap back to your own guns after shooting that one portion of the stage?
Not sure, I just know it's a stage they have done a few times, this will be my first year.

Not sure, I just know it's a stage they have done a few times, this will be my first year.
You’ll never be further than a few yards shooting your partners rifle. It’ll be just fine with an NFA item.

By your logic, what happens at night or in camp or in a staging area when someone leaves their rifle and suppressor to go to the bathroom?

I was told completely different from a FBI field agent friend that I went to college with who's stationed at the Milwaukee field office who owns 2 suppressors. I gave him my hunting scenario on my property with my family members. He basically told me I'm good to go as long as my suppressor stays on my property with me on it. He also said ONLY an ATF agent can request tax stamp proof anyways which is true. He then gave me a scenario of suppressors owned by our local indoor gun ranges that rent out suppressors to customers. As long as the customer doesn't leave the property it is legal for the customer to possess their business owned suppressors even if I'm not in their line of sight. I know my 50 acre property is way bigger than a 20 lane indoor range but I think he has a valid point.

Reactions: FuhQ
I was told completely different from a FBI field agent friend that I went to college with who's stationed at the Milwaukee field office who owns 2 suppressors. I gave him my hunting scenario on my property with my family members. He basically told me I'm good to go as long as my suppressor stays on my property with me on it. He also said ONLY an ATF agent can request tax stamp proof anyways which is true. He then gave me a scenario of suppressors owned by our local indoor gun ranges that rent out suppressors to customers. As long as the customer doesn't leave the property it is legal for the customer to possess their business owned suppressors even if I'm not in their line of sight. I know my 50 acre property is way bigger than a 20 lane indoor range but I think he has a valid point.
50 acres and you are on the property but not actually in their presence…

You do you, AznTactical. Not for me though.

Ronin

I was also always told that you didn’t need to carry a copy of your stamps, because you have 24 hours to produce one, if harassed. And also only ATF agents can ask to see your stamps.

Then I saw some lawyers on YouTube (a hot blonde and some goofy dude with glasses) a couple weeks ago, and they said you legally need to carry a copy of your stamps with you at all times? That’s contradictory to what I was always told. Any idea which one is correct?

I was also always told that you didn’t need to carry a copy of your stamps, because you have 24 hours to produce one, if harassed. And also only ATF agents can ask to see your stamps.

Then I saw some lawyers on YouTube (a hot blonde and some goofy dude with glasses) a couple weeks ago, and they said you legally need to carry a copy of your stamps with you at all times? That’s contradictory to what I was always told. Any idea which one is correct?

A lot depends on your state laws.
But carrying them with you might save you from having to deal unpleasantly with some asshole cop who wants to be a dick.

I don't carry my original stamps. I laminate them and file them away with my SS cards and birth certificates.
I do carry digital pdf's on my phone and scaled down copies in my range bag.
By law I must present documentation to an ATF Agent if they request it. My state doesn't require additional proof so I can tell the local PD or sheriff to pound sand but I won't. I'll be polite and show them my copies and off they go. Heck most leo don't even know what a Tax stamp is.

On ATF Form 1 & 4's that I have, "A person possessing a firearm registered as required by the NFA shall retain proof of registration which shall be made available to any ATF officer upon request."

Prior to digital forms, it was said laminating original tax stamps was a no-no, because any attempt to de-laminate them to prove authtentivity would likely destroy it. How much that matters in reality is anyone's guess.

Prior to digital forms, it was said laminating original tax stamps was a no-no, because any attempt to de-laminate them to prove authtentivity would likely destroy it. How much that matters in reality is anyone's guess.
My lawyer who setup my trust and help me amend it 5 times recommended me laminate them. I can easily see and feel the stamp through the lamination. Pretty sure I can almost feel and see my and the ATF agent's signature too. I'll be fine.

Try that with your Social Security card. Lamination Ask me how I know. 😜😜😜
Lol. My SS and birth certs all original and is so beat up that it's almost unreadable.....most times they can't even feel the seal on my cert and question it's authenticity.

Evidently ATF has changed their minds

It was noticed that the ATF has added to their FAQ section on their eforms website this:

Q. If I am the registered owner of a NFA item, can someone else shoot my item in my presence?

No. Only Responsible Person(s) listed on the approved registration may have physical or constructive possession of the NFA item