• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is there an "optimal" action source?

DownhillFromHere

Aim > Impact > Take a Nap
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
Do y'all order actions (or triggers or...) directly from the manufacturer, from a vendor like Altus or Mile High, or does it just depend on circumstances?

I've been contemplating a new build for awhile now. Ordered a Trigger Tech Diamond during their sale week before last. More than once I've a-l-m-o-s-t clicked Submit on an action.

What's holding me back? Mainly being told by the action manufacturers it will be several weeks, up to four months, to fill the order. It's been ten days since I ordered the TT Diamond from TT, and from them I've heard.... nothing. I'm about ready to cancel the order.

I bought my one&only custom rifle fully built, so ordering components for a new build is a new experience. Anyone have thoughts/advice, other than to have patience?

I have purchased lots of parts from Southern Precision Rifles, (bugholes.com) action, several barrels, triggers etc. they have just about anything you might need in stock, they also do gunsmithing, prefits etc. decent pricing & are great to work with, Greg will take care of you.

This doesn’t answer the OPs question, and maybe only exacerbates it, but this thread regarding Mack Bro’s SS Evo was intriguing:

Here’s their website:

Might still have to wait but also might save a few hundred bucks. Unless money is no object...... ?

I generally go to a vendor. It may not give as much support (read: $) to the manufacturer, but their job and specially as a vendor is to pull it off the shelf, box it up, and send it out. They make some money but they have inventory overhead.
Generally the manufacturer is worried about pushing the pallets of stuff out to their vendors, so your one box may take a few days. This varies by manufacturer, some are great and some aren't so great. This can be dependant on their location and shipping pickup arrangements.

For some things I go factory direct but have the knowledge I'll be waiting. For example, barrels I typically get from McGowan or x caliber. They're both fairly local and are very good about hitting their estimated shipping times. For the 1-2 barrels I buy a year it's not a big deal to wait the 6-8 weeks to get exactly what I want. I also have plenty of rifles to shoot and tinker with so building a new one is just something that happens as I gather parts.

All the little parts (triggers, scope rings and rails, chassis and accessories) I'll just buy from whomever has it in stock at a decent price.