• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Judge my load development? Which load was best? 308

mydogsmonkey

Where's the target?
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Burbank, CA
So I went to load develop yesterday. My load is 168gr Hornady BTHP with IMR 4064 powder in a Remington case. This is for 308 Win. I got about 4 good loads that got good groups. I'm trying to decide which is best. I started at 39.8 and went up to the Hornady manual max of 41.6gr. I know this is low for some people and was wondering if I should continue going? I got good groupings for 39.8 and 41.6gr but I saw the least amount of vertical dispersion in my 40.7gr. A lot of this could be just my shooting and its quite possible all of the loads I made are equally accurate as its only my second time seriously shooting.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to which to go to? I know the starting load is about 36gr in the manual but I'd be getting about 2100 fps. I'm thinking I should be at something at least 2400 or so for longer distances. I've heard that horizontal dispersion shouldn't be really looked at. Once I become a better shooter, I'm expecting to get around 0.5 MOA easily from the gun. I'm not sure if I've done it this time as I dont know if I'm supposed to measure the bullet diameter while measuring groups.

My set up is an AI AE MKIII in 308, 20" barrel
All the groups shot at 100 yards

Thanks in advance!

Most of these are 4-5 round groups, I think some of the brass wasn't sized right so some wouldn't chamber.

39.8gr
DSCN1057_zpsa798ffe3.jpg

DSCN1058_zps40e122a2.jpg

DSCN1059_zps656c1871.jpg

Can you shoot any further than 100yds? Pretty sure a known go-to load is 41.5 of 4064 behind a 168.

Showoff! O.K. I'll bite. They all look GREAT!

FYI, you should measure center to center. Your eye will naturally find center of the holes much more precisely than the edges which are always tattered. These guys "calculating" their center-to-center by measuring outside "edge" to outside "edge" with calipers and subtracting one bullet diameter are only kidding themselves, IMO.

Last edited: