• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Load Data & Primer Sizing

JDubU

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
Newbie reloader looking for experienced advice.

I have been researching load data for different 6.5 CM bullet manufacturers (and powder manufacturers) with some suggesting small rifle primers and some large rifle primers. All my current cases have large primer pockets. I'm not looking for what brands or which size primer is better and why.

I want to know if I can use a large rifle primer in place of a small primer using the exact same load data. Specifically, load data for lapua 136 GN and VV 550 powder....VV website calls out a small rifle primer in this load data (see attachment).

I read the following article that suggests it is OK but I would appreciate those that have done what I'm asking with no consequence. https://rifleshooter.com/2018/05/do...dmoor-small-v-large-primer-brass-comparisons/

Again, not looking to go down the rabbit hole. I don't possess the brain bandwidth to comprehend anyways (yet) LOL.

I appreciate any reputable leads to continue my reloading education while not blowing myself up.

For what it's worth I currently utilize the following:

Brass: Once fired prime Ammo 130 GN Match HPBT
Powders: Hodgdon H4350; Vhitavuori 550; IMR 8205 XBR
Primers: CCI 200 Large
Bullets: Nosler #26725 140GN Custom Competition HPBT; Nosler #53505 130 GN Reduced Drag Factor HPBT; Berger #26403 130 GN VLD Target Match; Lapua #4PL6019 136 GN OTM Scenar-L; Hornaday #26331 140 GN ELD Match ***Just completed my first 100 rifle reloads using aforementioned H4350 @ 40.5 grains***
Press: Original RCBS Rockchucker (pimped out version lol)
Dies: Whidden (non Bushing)
Books: Hornaday; Lee; Lyman; Metallic cartridge Reloading; Handloading For Competition; Top Grade Ammo

Attachments

• Screenshot (1)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (1)_LI.jpg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 64
I saw some guy on YouTube getting hang fires with small primers and N550 in the cold. He did a pretty extensive test showing that a lot of powders don’t do well with small primers in the cold.

I have found that small primers lower the velocity and pressure of a load in the normal pressure range (50,000-60,000 PSI). When you exceed that range efficiency takes over and both primer types give similar results.

O P, the last two books you listed are great info.Read ,comprehend and take the author's advice. He knows what he's talking about.

As for srp vs lrp loads, my shooting buddy went there ,HIS loads were the same powder charge for both when loads were finished and settled. However, he used sr mag primers.
As always, work up your own loads and stay safe.
After rereading your question. Yes, you can use srp data for lrp brass , just back off and work up.

40.5gr H4350 is my gas gun charge, it groups very well.
cci br2
142gr smk
Mag length oal

Good luck , load safe

Last edited: