• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1714776458703.png

IIRC, there was a ton of, let's call it, cause and effect going on in that "mishap."

First mistake was doing the job with other aircraft close by. No way to cordon off the area down wind.

Second, was not properly depuddling and purging the tank.

Third was using equipment that wasn't explosion proof.

It just got much, much worse from there.

I also remember a couple of guys dying on C-130s because they failed to follow the most basic safety procedures.

That shit didn't fly with me. I don't care how fast you want it fixed, we're not skipping crucial safety steps.

I never liked working in-tank maintenance when adjacent tanks had fuel in them.
Fortunately, you couldn't do that on the B-1B because of system design.
My dad was the C-130 guy in the 60s through the 80s. Told me many stories about fuel cell mishaps. He was an engine and prop guy for Lockheed around the world. May have trained or worked with some of you older guys.

My dad was the C-130 guy in the 60s through the 80s. Told me many stories about fuel cell mishaps. He was an engine and prop guy for Lockheed around the world. May have trained or worked with some of you older guys.
Was your dad a black guy? I got my certifications of 130 props from a really smart guy (black) but I can’t remember his name….

It's so easy to ohm out a pump before going to all of that other work.

Now that you refreshed my memory on that one, didn't the 7-level actually hold the CB in to prevent it from tripping?

Power should have never been applied to an aircraft with an open fuel tank...
There's danger tags, disconnected batteries and even external power receptacle that would have/should have been tagged.

Big, big, big fuckup.
Yes, your memory is accurate on the troop holding the cb in.
In the end, it was the crew chief (good friend of mine) that got jacked on that deal. I'm not aware of any discipline, one way or the other, for the fuel cell troops.

• Sad
Reactions: Barneybdb
One of my last -141 missions was ferrying an A-10 squadron to Aviano during the Bosnia thing. We landed in Windsor Locks CT and doing the walkaround there was just a crap ton of fuel streaming down the fuselage from leading and trailing edge of wing from under the sail panels. This was an aircraft with 44k flight hours and with the wing box tcto weight limits.
Total hazmat incident...

Anyway, a Tiger team came up from McGuire and worked all night on the problem. Put back together and sign it off "no defect noted".
We flew another 50 hours of international flight without a repeat. I was never so nervous about flying in all my life. My mind always flashed back to my dad's stories (a B-24 pilot) about B-24's just blowing up on take off.

I didn't go in until 84.
In the AF, engines and Fuel Cell were completely different careers. I think the navy combines them.

In fact, engines was also broken down into prop and turbo fan.
Different shredout.

I wouldn't have met your Dad.

The stories are the reason why we had very stringent rules for working on the fuel system and even more stringent rules for open tank maintenance.
You wouldn't believe the number of people that thought we were overly cautious.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
One of my last -141 missions was ferrying an A-10 squadron to Aviano during the Bosnia thing. We landed in Windsor Locks CT and doing the walkaround there was just a crap ton of fuel streaming down the fuselage from leading and trailing edge of wing from under the sail panels. This was an aircraft with 44k flight hours and with the wing box tcto weight limits.
Total hazmat incident...

Anyway, a Tiger team came up from McGuire and worked all night on the problem. Put back together and sign it off "no defect noted".
We flew another 50 hours of international flight without a repeat. I was never so nervous about flying in all my life. My mind always flashed back to my dad's stories (a B-24 pilot) about B-24's just blowing up on take off.

They pushed those 141s into the scrap yard trying to get every stinking flight hour out of them.

Uncle Sam got his money's worth from Lockheed on that airframe.

Funny how a phrase vs a word opens up the memory banks.
Never been called tigers, but once you said tiger team, my brain switched on a little more.

BTDT many times as a tiger team.

We found a few cracks in the wing boxes of -135s. Didn't even try to fix them because every one was pre-1962.
One time flight to the bone yard.

You are so jealous that I’m banging your grandma, mom, sister and dog.
The only one that bothers me is my dog. He just doesn't know any better.

Do you want my ex wife's phone number. I would appreciate it if you would marry her (even for just 1 day) so I could stop paying alimony.

When do I get a key to the dubba wide luv shack? I wanna play tubby tag too. I will bring my own Crisco and you can borrow my gimp suit.

1714787481249.png

1714787526125.png

1714787544838.png

1714787606847.png

1714787636009.png

I didn't go in until 84.
In the AF, engines and Fuel Cell were completely different careers. I think the navy combines them.

In fact, engines was also broken down into prop and turbo fan.
Different shredout.

I wouldn't have met your Dad.

The stories are the reason why we had very stringent rules for working on the fuel system and even more stringent rules for open tank maintenance.
You wouldn't believe the number of people that thought we were overly cautious.
I was the hybrid certified tech at my automotive dealership. Everyone else thought lock out/ tag out was a joke. Anyway, I'm still alive.

Total hazmat incident...

You remember what units you were dragging across?
Boise, Baltimore and Barnes joined up in MA at Barnes for the flight over. Barnes and Windsor Locks are about 12 miles apart. So that could've been the same group, but we flew out of Trapani, Sicily.
The Baltimore guys were cool, the Barnes guys were ASSHOLES...

Reactions: mikeinfwa