• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock help

tacshooter223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2009
Destin, FL
As some of you know I started making a stock..

Its been a few months now and I finally got the time to revisit the idea but have run into a road block. The previous plans for in-letting have fallen through so I was wondering if my plan B idea even has a possibility of working.

Here is the stock thus far.
DSC_0095.jpg

Would it be possible to take the section of the stock I am making from the grip to the swell in the foregrip out and to replace that area with the factory stock. This will only be the part from the factory stock from the start of the trigger guard until after the recoil lug.

I would then proceed to take some sort of bondo or marine tex (or any other recommended substance) to cover over the outside of the factory stock (since it is slimer) and overlap on the the stock I am making a few inches or more.

I would then covering the final product in fiber glass and paint it.

Would this be strong enough to stay together (only .223 recoil) or is this plan not even worth trying?

Thanks for any help!
TS223

Re: Stock help

I understand I can do that. If my idea has no idea of working thats plan C, but I was wondering if this idea would work first.

Re: Stock help

If you used a section of the old stock, you would have to come up with a way to pin both together before laying glass over it. Personally, I would think it would be less work to rough inlet it with chisels. You could do most of the work with a router or dremel. Since you seem to know fiberglass, you could use glass to final fit the action to the stock. (use a lot of release agent)You could then wrap the entire stock in 3 layers of glass so it would be sandable/shapable.

It really depends on how much your time is worth. I don't have a bunch of money, but I would opt for having it inlet with a mill.