• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Tactical vs Hunting?

CBDR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Jacksonville FL.
I have read several pros and cons of a FFP & SFP here on the hide based on the shooters application and it usually boils down to the individuals personal preference. Not going to get into which brand, what power or what reticle. Hunting application max range 400 m. 1st or 2nd focal plane?

Most depends on whether you want to use the reticle for ranging or not. FFP is constant throughout the range of powers but you also have to deal with small(ish) reticle as the lower end of power too.

SFP you can range at the highest setting only but the reticle will always look the same.

For me personally, I have had several of both but with my older eyes, I typically prefer a SFP scope for hunting. They are typically less expensive too.

You'll probably opinions both ways.

If you are aware of the ability to range, then that will answer your question. Do you plan on ranging with the reticle or use a LRF? If LRF, save money and grab the SFP. Some FFP reticles work ok at the lowest power, some become almost unusable. As far as using the reticle for hold overs, you will already be on max power (generally 1:1 for the reticle) if the game is far enough away to need a hold.

I use FFP for every optic except my rimfire, and that is simply because it came with a Leupold and I can't justify spending the money to replace the scope. lol

I just purchased a new tikka for hunting with range time as a stress reliever since my other rifles are all dialed in and kinda boring now. I went with a athalon Cronus btr because of reviews on here and talking with people.
Fast forward to yesterday when I get the rifle and scope, go to range, set everything up, shooting etc etc. All is going great with scope except I have to use the illumination to see the shoot n see target (doing ladder tests) at 100 yds. First time ever I have had to use the illumination on any of my scopes. XTR II's, Razor gen 1 and gen 2.
I feel the reticle is too small for FFP for close shooting but illumination helps. I have been hunting deer, predators and such with FFP and 1 SFP for quite awhile and with the right scope a FFP will be gtg. Hope this helps

If was not going to shoot further than 400 yds and the scope was for hunting, SFP all the way. Zero at 200 yds and your holdovers and unders are minimal and a no brainer. Keep it simple and effective.

I use SFP for hunting, even on my long range guns. I prefer it since I often come across opportunities in brush off the sides of roads, etc...at close yardage and much prefer a full size reticle at all powers for that. The trade off for me are windage holds. I use a LRF but when going from a match gun that wears FFP I have to remind myself to dial to max power for wind holds, or physically dial in wind. I dial elevation in regardless. It's not a big deal, but something I must pause and think about before starting that days hunt based off the chosen equipment. I also prefer how thin (MOAR-T) the SFP reticle are for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotta ride Fursniper's coat tail on this. If it's a hunting rig and just shy of 440 yds is your max range a SFP scope will be just fine. My go to rig is SFP and it is great in the dark timber, shitty weather, and definitely a no brainer for holdover at that range. When I pop outta the timber into a big clearcut I'm still good to twice that range. Best of both worlds in one scope.

zeiss_rapidz800.gif

Only reason to have a FFP scope is to be able to hold over at an intermediate power range. no idea why you would try and range at less than max power. if its that close that max power is too much, you prob don't need to "range" it with the optic. If its "close" range, you prob wouldn't dial, but then again a simple hold over will be fine, even with a SFP not at max power. as long as you have a basic understanding of what different power ranges do to the mil/moa markings.

so, with all of that, it doesn't really matter. get the scope with the best glass for the money you can spend. most of the time, that will be a SFP, but not always. if the glass is equal, then look at other things like weight, size, reticle, illum ret. those will make more of a difference in a hunting scope than SFP vs FFP, especially at 400 and in.

also, you say "hunting". what kind of hunting? big game? predator? prairie dog? also, what kind of rifle? does weight matter? I have multiple rifles for hunting. They all have a purpose that they were built for. And they all have a different optic optimized for my requirements for that rifle. I think there is a lot more to ask rather than just FFP or SFP

Last edited:
SFP you can range at the highest setting only but the reticle will always look the same.
I can range just as well on the lowest power (3.5)of my SFP scopes out to 5-600yds as I can on the proper setting (10X) in a true hunting venue no matter the leg count. I ain't going to teebox his ass to 5-600 on the lowest setting, but there are no different levels of dead. Plus while most are turning or dialing, Elvis has already left my building.

OP
Get what works for you, not others. Try lots of different stuff out while holding/using a scope your interested in. Not the std hold it up an look tactic. get it adjusted for you, if the owner objects, go spend your money somewhere else. Most LGS know dick about scopes other than what they read or told by the Expert at their supplier.

Most depends on whether you want to use the reticle for ranging or not. FFP is constant throughout the range of powers but you also have to deal with small(ish) reticle as the lower end of power too.

For me personally, I have had several of both but with my older eyes, I typically prefer a SFP scope for hunting. They are typically less expensive too.

You'll probably opinions both ways.

No it depends if you plan to use the reticle period. Not just for ranging, which is far down the list. If you plan on using holds for movers, wind, hold overs or unders for quick shots then FFP helps. Ranging is one of the least useful purposes for FFP.

That said for 400 yards and in then save some money and a lower powered SFP will work just fine.

Thank you to all that provided the feedback. To answer some of your inquiries as to what exactly am I hunting and what is the rifle. I'm hunting rather large hogs in the GA swamp. Build myself a nice little 8 foot x 8 foot, ten feet off the ground fully enclosed box stand. Feeder sits 300 yards north of my position. Shooting from the prone position out of the port holes. Rifle varies between GAP 308 Rock. And An Accurate Ordnance 6.5cm CTX suppressed. The current optic NXS 5.5 X 22 sits on the GAP and has served me well for several years but time for an upgrade. The day optic that sits on the CTX is a Khales 624i. The Khales is IMO overkill. Better suited for the range. The CTX comes in at about 15 lbs. A little on the heavy side. I am leaning towards the SFP. For the past few years I have been trying to make a FFP work in a hunting environment. The reticle on the 624i is to dam small at wide FOV. As Gunfighter14e2 mentioned Elvis has left the building by the time I have responded to a pop up. These hogs are very quick learners, they want no part of being in the open sections of the swamp, always moving. Six months of stashing away the cash for the next optic. Not going to open a can of worms and get into specifics on the brand to go with. Got it narrowed down to a few nice ones.

I like FFP for everything if it's variable. The tradeoff I face is that most FFP scopes' reticles are near uselessly thin below 6x. Then again, for the type of rifles I'm putting them on, and the shots I'm taking, rarely (never?) do I ever want to go below 6x. In fact, for a short-mid range hunting scope, I almost prefer a fixed 6x.

Regardless of the range or intended use, SFP bothers me in a variable power optic if there are hash-marks that are supposed to mean anything (mil, MOA, BDC, whatever). I'd almost rather a plain cross or duplex.

Talk about a "snipershide".That's a "bacon getter" right there! I like it.

Check out the NF 4-16. Either F1 or F2 will fit your need but the F1's reticle is still very useable at 4x. Nice blend of features, very robust and numbers on turret are big and easy to read. The F2 has a 50 mm obj which could help with low light hog shooting but the F1 is honestly no slouch in low light either.

The NF 4 16 is diffidently on the short list. I had a chance to look through one at the range. I was surprised how clear and bright it was.

FFP on all my rifles except my rimfires. I want the same type of scope on my hunting rifles as I do on my LR steel and varmint rifles. Easy transition and less to change or worry about.

The way this hurricane is shaping up I may be shelling out some major cash for home repairs. And what else would I expect living next to the fucking ocean.

For me, it really depends on what you'll be hunting out to 400 yards... Deer/hogs/elk? Either FFP or SFP will be fine. Prairie dogs or other small critters? I REALLY prefer FFP, because the entire critter is smaller than the vital hit zone on one of the previously mentioned larger animals so hold offs are much more critical.

It also depends on the gun; how flat does it shoot? Out to 400 yards, .308 vs 6.5CM is, for the sake of this discussion, a wash... but if we're talking about something like a 45-70, then that's a different story.

FWIW, my generic hunting rigs are a 30-06 with a FFP 3-15, a .270 with a SFP 3-15, and a 300BLK bolt gun with a SFP 1-5. I also just finished a hunting-oriented 6.5G AR with a FFP 2-12, but I haven't had a chance to take it out. My main prairie dog gun for the last couple years has been a 26" barrelled .223 with a FFP 5-25, and for my next P-dog hunt I'll be doing a 26" barrelled .204 Ruger with a FFP 4.5-29.

Last edited:
Thank you BurnOut. I also just brought a new AR rifle 6.5G into the mix. Strictly a night gun running a Zeus thermal. Probably will not be shooting past 200 in the dark. Does fine on paper, time will tell on the knock down capability. Shot placement is critical for the larger sized hogs.