• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing The Biathlon crunch.

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Monday afternoon I get a call. Martha Bellisle. 4x World, 6x US Gold medal Masters champion. Her Annie 1827 Fortner has turned into a "minute of Pringles lid" POS after a bedding job performed by XXXX.

She interviews me to see if LRI is where she wants it fixed. The caveat to this is that this weekend is a training match in preparation for Worlds in Austria next week. One thing to understand here is that if we can't do this, then the whole thing falls apart. Traveling abroad with firearms is not a trivial thing. Host countries require a long list of documents submitted well in advance of ever boarding a plane. A replacement rifle "sub'd in" won't work as customs will lock that thing up on the spot. It's hard enough to get by when you do have everything in order.

So, we are on a very strict timeline and stuff has to work otherwise its all a wash.

After a few minutes we get things sorted and Tuesday afternoon her rifle arrives via Fed Ex. Tear into it and the issues become pretty self-explanatory. It's a mess. We tear into it and machine the malignancy away. Following morning its bedded and I oven cure the resin for half a day. Pop it out around lunchtime and we get it back in the machine and cleaned up. Get up early this morning and get the final assembly out of the way. Then it's off to the range. Her ammunition was put in the freezer the day it arrived and I cold soaked the gun in the back of my truck on the way to the range (half an hour away, when I left this am it was 28* outside.

International winter biathlon is shot at 50m. I set up with irons and tested at 100. With tired 50-year-old eyeballs I was rewarded with a plot that held a 1/3rd minute for elevation (no shit!) and spread around a minute left to right. -That might be cause for concern except that this particular range complex has a big break in the tree line 30 yards from the backstops. A full value wind will blow right across there and screw with you. 15 years of shooting there has proven this to me.

Still, not convinced so I raced back to the shop and tore the place apart looking for a scope base that'll adapt an Annie 11mm rail to a STENAG rail. I couldn't find it so I had to make one from scratch. Not a big deal, just annoying as I know I have(had?) one once upon a time ago...

Get that done. Going back to the range isn't going to play with the timeline (today was "gotta ship it day") so I go to the tunnel. 50 yards. Not 50meters, but the additional 11 feet isn't going to amount to much inside such a controlled environment.

If anyone has ever been curious as to what a bedding job can do for a gun, here are the photos/video. The smallest 5x shot I produced was 8.3mm. The largest was 12mm. When I worked for Anschutz the understanding was that it takes a 12mm gun to get on the podium at the Olympics. It takes a 10mm rifle to win gold. The hardest hitting rifle I've ever built shot 9.6 with Sheri Gallagher behind it in 2003 at the Junior Olympic tryouts at the OTC in CoS. Now, that is described as a 50 shot string. I only shot this biathlon rifle 25 times so the margin of error is a bit bigger. Still, a 10mm average is nothing to sneer at and its certainly good enough for a target that only has to be "hit" and ranges between 1.8 and 4.5 inches in diameter.

For comparison, International 3P is shot on a one size target with the 10-ring roughly the size of a #2 pencil eraser.

Once I had the data, I got back to the shop, sent her photos, and we had it boxed and delivered to UPS for early am delivery tomorrow.

The point of this is not to toot a horn although it probably sounds like it to some. It is nothing short of rewarding to me as a gun plumber/business owner to be in the position (finally) to help a person like this with total confidence and ability. It's taken 27 years in this game to get to that level where there was no guessing, no speculation. Just a problem to solve and a tight schedule to get it handled. For me that is something very cool to be able to do and we are grateful for the opportunity and the experience.

Martha is a wonderful lady to talk to and we wish her all the success in her effort. She's certainly worked for it.

I'll shut up now. :)

Before: A short vid that reviews the bulk of what was going on.

After:

81589288_2523373404599360_4885452168791851008_n.jpg

Stock work:

As delivered:

1578014226138.png

1578014237449.png

After we did our thing:

1578014261962.png

81117342_759632757875106_2264252319740723200_n.jpg

Last edited:
    I really enjoyed the videos on Facebook but I wish you did this a week ago before I bedded my first rifle ? Great work as usual from your team and good to see that you were able to get it done for the customer especially considering the circumstances. I learned several things from this series of videos and truly appreciate you taking time to do the videos.

Not very many gunsmiths are as open to showing the processes, let alone providing a tutorial. Regardless of the trade, when someone is willing to do this to help others, I've always considered it as they are confident in their work and aren't worried about someone taking food off their table. I'm sure the owner of the rifle getting to watch it done has full confidence in her gun now and won't have any doubt that the rifle is fixed right.

Reactions: LRI
    You got to hand it to Chad and the guys this was a holiday week for most people if the posts dates are right they worked thru New years day . It sucks sometimes but this is how you take care of customers that are in a jam. Thank you for posting us guys trying to get into the business learn from this .

Wow...that original bedding job looks worse than most hobbyists turn out their first try. One hand, I can't believe a respectable shop could do work that shoddy- assuming, she chose a known "quantity" to do the work. Without naming names, was that work done by a professional?

Shit workmanship aside, I'm more puzzled that the rifle- wood stock-wasn't pillar bedded. Since you did it , it must be allowed- so why the fuck wasn't that done originally?

What's lining the barrel channel? Looks like CF?

Ironically, just got the print from Manson for the 6.5 Vostok I'm going to build- which was the last winner at the Biathlon in Innsbruck in '76 right before the rules changed eliminating centerfires.

Nice work, Chad.

Thanks for sharing this story! That's awesome you could help an international champion out.

what a wonderful opportunity to help another human being out. bravo

Great job helping out one of our shooting athletes! Amazing that kind of work would be passed off by someone.

Saddened when I googled the name and saw the news reporting history. ?

These Fortner's are usually awesome shooting rifles! But that other bedding job is horrible! I shot the 6x5 and got a .26" average at 50Y.

Only way I'd sell my 1827F is for a 1727F!

From this am's text:

"Hey Chad. Quick note and lots more tomorrow but I wanted to let you know that I won my race today in a heavy snowstorm in my gun shot really really well in my shooting stats or back to normal and will even be better when I get my confidence back and am able to shoot in normal weather. I'll be in touch with you tomorrow with an email in more but I wanted to let you know that you save my life and I'm so so grateful. Didn't amazing job and I'm just absolutely thrilled."

Schweeeet....:)

Sucks to lose confidence in your own abilities, when it's due to the rifle!
    I think we've all been there before, to one extent or another.

Better write code for that one, Chad... something tells me you just got yourself an interesting "niche" market.

Amazing work! It is always nice seeing such craftsmanship and quality support for each other in the industry. Thanks for sharing.

@LongRifles Inc.

Good looking work.

Was the carbon in the barrel channel your work?

Work with a guy who is pretty competitive in the biathlon world. Has the same rifle (I think).

Passed on your info as he said the guy who does a lot if this work is slow and has terrible comms.

I expect he will call to chat soon.

I cant run with him to train in the off season, he thinks 7 min miles is a good “easy” pace......

Reactions: gnochi
    Update:

Her weekend match in WA was more or less a wash. The weather didn't play nice so the official event was called off I guess. She did ski anyway and did well there, then buckled down behind the gun to wring it out. Her shot percentages came back.

Moving forward she goes to Austria for the World Masters. Medals, 3 of em. Not too shitteh for a shooter who was ready for a rubber room two weeks earlier.

Martha's FB post to us:

-After spending two days on trains, planes and automobiles, I've returned home from the World Winter Masters Games in Seefeld, Austria and am pleased to report three for three podium finishes, thanks to the work done on my Anschutz biathlon rifle by Long Rifles Inc. and Chad Dixon. I won two silver medals in the sprint and individual races - second only to Russia's Ogla Shipulina, the mother of Olympic and World Champion Anastasia Kuzmina and Olympian Anton Shipuline. In the 3-person relay race on the last day, one partners had a bit of trouble on the range so we were behind after the first leg, but I shot clean in both prone and standing and had the fastest time of our division to move our team into second place. There were 45 US biathletes competing in the week-long event, overall we won 10 medals, and three of those were mine. I can't say enough how Long Rifles saved me and made these successes possible. My rifle wouldn't hold a zero when they took over and got it back. Thank you, thank you. I continue to sing your praises.

Thank you for all that you did. I appreciate your hard work and support!
    Martha Bellisle

1581084429950.png

1581084387711.png

1581084417004.png

1581084398754.png

Last edited:
    @LongRifles Inc.

After seeing this, I passedyour contact info to a long time friend who is big in biathalon who runs the same rifle and wanted some “Long Rifles Inc lovin” given to his rig.

He was impressed with your pictures to say the least......

I love a story with a happy ending. Especially when a pretty girl wins and a knight in a shiny shop comes to her rescue.

Good job.....matter of fact....Great Job! What you did speaks volumes about you and your business. There was no bashing, although it sure needed some, just straight to the probelm and the solution. I tell my guys, dont worry so much about the probelm, worry about correcting the problem. Nice to see a positive in such a negative world.

Impressive as always Chad. That’s a great story with a great ending. I also have to say that as an amateur everything, my first bedding job came out ten times better than what you received and all I have are a dremel and hand tools.

Reactions: LRI