• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What is the Lapping Tool of choice for Large Frame AR upper receivers?

Stupid question but why did you buy those receivers if you think they need lapping to work?

Because every company puts out a lemon once in a while.

Even a CNC monkey works on some Mondays or sometimes has a morning spat with his boyfriend.

Those two brands of receivers are forged, not excreted extruded to a perfectly rectangular turd billet as a starting point. This is the biggest reason.
{just trying to trigger the JPE/KAC etc fans. I will probably own a JPE within the year}

Besides, what is the overall cost of a well designed large frame AR lapping tool when compared to the cost of 6 large frame precision ARs with fair to midland glass w/mounts and mags?

Great question. Forgings don't start out or end up with exact points in the XYZ planes from piece to piece.

Last edited:
I use the PTG for lapping all my large frame uppers. But some uppers don't need much, my 2A Xanthos uppers needed 3 seconds, while cheaper ones needed a lot more.

I like the PTG, doesn't come with a flex coupling which isn't needed at all.

Another vote for the PTG's

And at 30 bucks... I can afford the tool.

If you can get even just a 1/4MOA better groups ( and I have seen much better MOA improvements, as in 1 MOA ) ... then 30 bucks is a bargain.

Another vote for PTG, I used it on my 6.5 cm with a 2A upper. Mine took more than 3 seconds, but not very long. I’ll never barrel another upper, ar15 or ar10, without lapping no matter how finely built it is suppose to be.

I like these guys. It could be a branded PTG. Not sure: G&G . Personally, not a huge believer in AR lapping, but it could never hurt, esp with the brands of uppers you are using, you could use every advantage.

I used the Pacific Tool & Gauge AR-10 lapping tool on my Aero Precision M5 upper and it worked flawlessly. Fitty% on Youtube has a good video on how to use the tool. I took his advice and mounted the upper vertically so that gravity and downward pressure are applied to the receiver face.

Just a side note, it will not work with Aero Precision M5 Enhanced upper receivers unless you have them turn it down to a slightly smaller diameter.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/ar-tools/10318-ar-15-upper-receiver-lapping-tool.html