• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Who has turned off Windows updates?

lariat

Two Star General
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
I’m about to kick my PC in the screen. These constant fucking Windows updates are killing me. Has anyone turned them off?

Which version of Windows are you using?
With 10 or 11 in the consumer versions (not corporate) they eventually almost just say screw you we are updating.

You can go into the settings and turn them off as much as possible and also set your busy hours.

Otherwise may I suggest upgrading to Linux Mint so that you control your computer not Microsoft.

Reactions: NoDopes and BCP
wish I had rejected win 11 I was sleeping while my pc uploaded it . No problems here just in case they are watching I just love having my pc turn it's self off especially when I am in the middle of buying powder or primers without warning . not much makes me want to "hug" another person than spending an hour typing some thing out just to have my pc decide now is the perfect time to shut down or fill my pc with apps that I never asked for and do not want with no way to get rid of them oh yea .

no problems here just in case they are watching I just love having my pc turn it's self off especially when I am in the middle of buying powder or primers without warning .
Exactly. I had a Zoom call. And just like that I didn't - 30 minutes to update. Without warning.

Reactions: acudaowner
Fuckin Windows .. If Don't comply . they will freeze your PC screen until you clik 'continue' on updates . You can turn Off , then turn back On , but you will loose whatever you been working on by not complying .
All those updates do is just data mining the shit out of your device . by nature I am pretty fucking stubborn, So I have been pushing ctrl/Alt/Delete for my home PC , to sign-out, then sign back in and continue . Been doing this two or three times a week now, for almost 3 years . Also keeping my PC on the modem/hard cable, ( no wireless connection ) for years . Just pull the cable everytime finished with use .

Reactions: BCP
Fuckin Windows .. If Don't comply . they will freeze your PC screen until you clik 'continue' on updates . You can turn Off , then turn back On , but you will loose whatever you been working on by not complying .
All those updates do is just data mining the shit out of your device . by nature I am pretty fucking stubborn, So I have been pushing ctrl/Alt/Delete for my home PC , to sign-out, then sign back in and continue . Been doing this two or three times a week now, for almost 3 years . Also keeping my PC on the modem/hard cable, ( no wireless connection ) for years . Just pull the cable everytime finished with use .

With that much determination have you considered switching to Linux for your daily driver?

With that much determination have you considered switching to Linux for your daily driver?
Yes .. LOL . But seems I am on a demented mission of OG Hate for Win.10 , to see just how many years I can keep on doing this on this one device .
I used to like Windows until they moved past Window 7/home premium and ( for me ) it all went downhill after that .

• Haha
Reactions: mtrmn and Maggot
Yes .. LOL . But seems I am on a demented mission of OG Hate for Win.10 , to see just how many years I can keep on doing this on this one device .
I used to like Windows until they moved past Window 7/home premium and ( for me ) it all went downhill after that .
You misspelled "Win XP" lol

Give linux a try as a virtual machine to see if you like it. Everything on WIndows is on LInux except games. That's the only reason I have Windows. Sometimes I'm lazy and do work on Windows, but it is SOOOooooo much easier to program on Linux.

But seriously, never turn off your security updates. I'm not eligible for windows 11 cause I didn't turn some of their bs on. wow i'm heartbroken.

But the Great Evil of Microsoft now has Competition from the Greater Evil of Google.

Plus VS Code is pretty boss.

Depending on the device, you could probably setup a second storage device, get that all setup with Linux and then use it and still be able to boot back to Windows 10 when you need it.

I'll have desktops and laptops with 3 or 4 different OSes on them for the fun of it and also like as a backup in case Windows goes nuts I can reboot to linux and access all my files.

Running Win10 LTSC 64 bit here.
Not only are updates turned off, I use a script to kill telemetry, defender, any and all access to microsoft/google/faceplant/twitter, etc.
My computer will never ask me to install Win11.....never.

It's not their computer, they have zero control over mine and I like it that way.
If you have to ask....it's a steep steep learning curve to get here.

BTW, unless you do it like I have, winupdate will still fuxor you at some point, turning it off is not as easy as using amin controls to turn it off....it goes wayyyyyyyyyyyy deeper than that.

Depending on the device, you could probably setup a second storage device, get that all setup with Linux and then use it and still be able to boot back to Windows 10 when you need it.

I'll have desktops and laptops with 3 or 4 different OSes on them for the fun of it and also like as a backup in case Windows goes nuts I can reboot to linux and access all my files.
This is what I do. Except linux is #1 and windows is the 'spare'

I've done this a lot but the new Linux distros walk you through this super easy compared to the good old dayz....

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Here's something that may make some of you feel better.
This disables telemetry, or Microsoft spying on you.
It's not all inclusive, but it is a good start.
You install this thru power shell, and I will not walk you thru how to do it.
If you are good enough to understand it and install it, you'll see it's just a harmless blocker.
If you don't understand how to install it.....I am not a help desk, understand that above everything else.

Code:
$hostsPath = “$env:windir\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”

IF ([System.Environment]::OSVersion.Version.Major -ge 10){
Get-Service DiagTrack | Stop-Service
Get-Service DiagTrack | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled
Get-Service dmwappushservice | Stop-Service
Get-Service dmwappushservice | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled

# RegFix ##############################################################33

New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection” -Name “AllowTelemetry” -PropertyType DWord -Value 0 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DiagTrack” -Name “Start” -PropertyType DWord -Value 4 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DiagTrack” -Name “Type” -PropertyType DWord -Value 10 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DiagTrack” -Name “ServiceSidType” -PropertyType DWord -Value 1 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DiagTrack” -Name “ServiceDllUnloadOnStop” -PropertyType DWord -Value 1 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dmwappushservice” -Name “DelayedAutoStart” -PropertyType DWord -Value 0 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dmwappushservice” -Name “Start” -PropertyType DWord -Value 4 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dmwappushservice” -Name “Type” -PropertyType DWord -Value 20 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dmwappushservice” -Name “ServiceSidType” -PropertyType DWord -Value 1 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dmwappushservice\Parameters” -Name “ServiceDllUnloadOnStop” -PropertyType DWord -Value 1 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo” -Name “Enabled” -PropertyType DWord -Value 0 -Force
Remove-ItemProperty “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo” -Name “Id” -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo” -Name “Enabled” -PropertyType DWord -Value 0 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKCU:\Control Panel\International\User Profile” -Name “HttpAcceptLanguageOptOut” -PropertyType DWord -Value 1 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization” -Name “RestrictImplicitTextCollection” -PropertyType DWord -Value 1 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization” -Name “RestrictImplicitInkCollection” -PropertyType DWord -Value 1 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\TrainedDataStore” -Name “HarvestContacts” -PropertyType DWord -Value 0 -Force
New-ItemProperty “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Personalization\Settings” -Name “AcceptedPrivacyPolicy” -PropertyType DWord -Value 0 -Force

$HostsUPD = @()
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 vortex.data.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 df.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 survey.watson.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 watson.live.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 watson.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 compatexchange.cloudapp.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 a-0001.a-msedge.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 corp.sts.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 pre.footprintpredict.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 bingads.microsoft.com’
$HostsUPD += ‘127.0.0.1 www.bingads.microsoft.com’

$Hosts = Get-Content $hostsPath

foreach ($Line in $HostsUPD)
{
IF ($Line -notin $Hosts )
{ “True: $Line”
$Line | Out-File $hostsPath -Append -Encoding ascii
}
}
}

C'mon, at least tell me you know how to use code tags ???

I control alt delete and then close the updater. Psuses the update. You can also set it to ask permission before updating. Never had it disturm me at home. At work I do not mind if it interupts my meetings...

Just disable TPM or Trusted Boot in the bios. You are automatically ineligible for windows 11 upgrade.

ezpz
Well turns out that is not entirely true. Have run into multiple OEM machines that shipped with Win 11 with secure boot disabled or the registry flag to allow install without a TPM. When you check the TPM status it has one and is enabled, but isn't returning the required 2.0 or higher version.

Guessing this is why M$ went public with all the bypass info right before it shipped.

Right now all you can really do is set a few other reg keys to specify what 10 build you want to target and another to hide the 11 prompt in the update panel. The shitty thing is using Edge will still prompt you to upgrade to 11 and will take you to the standalone update tool which will bypass any restriction keys you've set.

The metered connection setting also still works for stopping 11 and other updates, but you really are making yourself unsafe doing that.

I own Apple products because I like getting pussy.
1649896294897.jpeg

U up?

• Haha
Reactions: madppcs
What’s “windows”? Sounds like a giant pain in the Fudd ass. And why am I not surprised the N2ishun, who fancies himself some kind of secret god of rock guitar also has the waaaaaayyyyy deep understanding, like really, it’s deep, of how to master the windows. But he can’t tell you.

A Linux distro is your daddy. OS X if you like being owned. And never store any data on the drive containing your OS. Always operate under the assumption you'll have to nuke your OS and start fresh.

A Linux distro is your daddy. OS X if you like being owned. And never store any data on the drive containing your OS. Always operate under the assumption you'll have to nuke your OS and start fresh.
What the fuck paranoid shit are you jabbering about? I don't need to "nuke" any thing. In fact that is the problem I had with windows. Every year or two the Windows system would Nuke its self.

Had my personal Mac for 5 years now, never had any major issues. Got acquainted with it through a job, as its what the guy I worked for used. Haven't looked back at window since.

Windows is for Games(which I don't play) and old fucks who are too stubborn to change.

Mac for everything else.

What the fuck paranoid shit are you jabbering about? I don't need to "nuke" any thing. In fact that is the problem I had with windows. Every year or two the Windows system would Nuke its self.

Had my personal Mac for 5 years now, never had any major issues. Got acquainted with it through a job, as its what the guy I worked for used. Haven't looked back at window since.

Windows is for Games(which I don't play) and old fucks who are too stubborn to change.

Mac for everything else.

Macs and iPhones are for folks that like to feel the loving and firm embrace of the turtle neck wearing big brother & would like to pay the temple tax to be a part of the fruit cult.

Linux is what you want if you value freedom and full control over your computer.
(and if you want to be a true rebel, don't use systemd).
Whereas the OS from the fruit cult only runs on devices they have sold you, Linux will run on most things including converting former Mac OS and windows machines to freedom.

Linux is what you want if you value freedom and full control over your computer.
I do not have any experience with Linux. And hear you, but I am not doing any thing that requires that level of security.

If you don't want it known... don't go digital is my creed.

I turned off windows update almost a decade ago when I reluctantly joined the dark side with a MacBook Pro. And, no I did not consider Linux because I have no desire to code basic computer functions…

I’m still not an Apple fan, but for the person that just needs a computer for everyday functions (email, spreadsheets, presentations, word processing, etc), a Mac is a generally better user experience.

First, you can schedule the updates for a time when you know you won't be using your computer. That way, you won't be interrupted by the update process. Second, you can adjust the settings so that Windows only downloads updates when you're connected to a Wi-Fi network. This can save you from unexpected data usage. Regarding Cheap Windows Keys, I'm not sure about it.
Fuck off and die spammer.

What’s “windows”? Sounds like a giant pain in the Fudd ass. And why am I not surprised the N2ishun, who fancies himself some kind of secret god of rock guitar also has the waaaaaayyyyy deep understanding, like really, it’s deep, of how to master the windows. But he can’t tell you.
Well then.
Why don't you let us alllllll have a look at how you deal with winupdate ?
You can't do that can you ?
You just whine because that's the extent of your skills ?

It's not that I can't tell you.
It's that I won't tell you.

Obviously you've never had every family member and/or friend try to take advantage of your abilities because, hey, you know how and they don't so it's something you owe them.
But you wouldn't understand that, would you ?

Bought a nice computer from Orbital Computers. It is windows 10. They set it up how I needed it. It doesn’t automatically update. Really happy with it.
I ain’t gonna mess with cad and cam on a Mac. That’s for the birds.

What I did was go into the registry and disable windows medic service, then remove the registry entry. After that you can enable or disable windows update via the task manager/startup manager whenever you want updates or not. The "Medic Service" is what fucks everything up because it will enable it without any input from the user.

Reactions: MediumSpeed