• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New improved mausingfield...??

chevytruck_83

Student of the sport
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
This could be a beauty.

Attachments

• photo85235.png
    photo85235.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 92
Not sure how that'd play with the Mausingfield's already stiff bolt lift. But if anyone could figure it out, it'd be Ted.

I will concur. Mausingfield does in fact have a fairly stiff bolt lift. There are others out there substantially lighter.

I guess I should get my hands on a new one and see if things have changed. Mine (sn 0029) is one of the smoothest, easiest actions I've felt. Right up there with a defiance or BAT.

I’m not sure what could be new or improved. Everything Ted does seems to be an ever-changing evolution. I own a Mausingfield and almost sold it but decided to keep it. Something about it makes me love the action but I’ll admit, it had its hiccups and Ted was always updating this part or that part. I’m at a stage where everything works as it should but it was a process getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I should get my hands on a new one and see if things have changed. Mine (sn 0029) is one of the smoothest, easiest actions I've felt. Right up there with a defiance or BAT.

You must have the 50/50 bolt, right?

I have the 105/5 bolt. Maybe mine is on the edge of the heavier side of how heavy the bolt lift can be on a Mausingfield, I don't know??? I did some polishing on the cocking piece and where it rides on the camming cut, and lubed with grease, that helped but it's still a heavier bolt lift than I'd like.

It could be how the Calvin Elite trigger interacts with the cocking piece, the timing, not fitting quite right, not sure about that either, combo of all??? I'm not a GS and don't understand the intricacies.

As far as everything else about the action, all the cool attributes, it's very smooth, well built, etc, I love it. I do appreciate the departure of it not just being another M700 clone.

Like I keep mentioning, it's time for modern designers of actions to consider making/including assisted opening and/or closing of the bolt to speed things up. This has been done in the past on other actions. A good example is my 1970 SAKO Finnwolf lever action, upon opening, once the lever has reached it's pivot point, the bolt flys back under spring tension.

Even my old 1914 Mannlicher has assisted opening on the bolt lift.

I know the expertise exists with Ted to engineer things like this in future generations if he so desires.

I bet a roller bearing on the cocking piece and/or primary extraction would make a big difference in the feel of cocking closing the bolt.

Mines not DLC'ed so that might be part of it.

No, it's a 105/-5. I was working at LRI when I built it originally and had it right next to several other actions (bighorn, defiance, bat, etc..) and compared it side by side with them and my perception was it was about equal with the melonited BAT action I handled, and slightly better than a Defiance for bolt lift. Slick as snot.

The 50/50's open easier than about anything I've ever felt, but the cam-over to close them is harsh.

Stiff bolt. Not really...

You have "X" amount of work to do with any fire control. Rotating the bolt is what compresses the striker assembly. The cocking "cam" and cocking piece basically act like a nut on a bolt. A thread. . . The Mausingfield differs slightly from a lot of actions in where it chooses to do this work.

Some action designs split it in half. You get some of it coming up and the rest going back into battery. It's known as "50/50". The cam pulls the striker back and when you run forward the cocking piece bites the trigger's transfer bar prior to the bolt lugs gaining purchase on the lug abutments of the receiver. Because the bolt "climbs the ramps" and the striker assy cannot move, the spring is compressed further.

Action designs that do it all as you lift the bolt are categorized as 105/-5. You do 105% of the work on bolt lift. -Over compressing the spring relative to its total amount of travel. The assembly goes back to 100 or "-5" when you drop the handle back down. The lugs of the bolt have a purchase on the receiver slightly ahead of the cocking piece purchasing the transfer bar.

Same work, just a matter of where it gets done.

The MF is a 105/-5 design. Early versions were offered in a 50/50. That went away some time ago. Compelling arguments get made in both directions. Easy bolt closure disturbs the gun less right before you go about your shot rhythm. Since the gun is already all over the place from recoil and since your already disturbing sights from bolt manipulation, it's a compelling reason.

50/50 gets the nod cause many say its faster. A quick flip and your rocking.

Black skirt or a white one. . . It's a personal preference and little more.

To make it "lighter" you would have to kill spring rate. The ARC MF has one of the most robust fire control assemblies ever created. Spring rates are a function of material, heat treatment, wire diameter, and coils per inch. There are very calculated processes for sorting out just how much energy is required to sustain an "all fire" condition on a primer cup. The Mausingfield exceeds these standards.

Going bang in virtually any condition is a good thing. Since we're all killers and studs, a few extra ounces of bolt lift shouldn't kill anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Davy Jones
Stiff bolt. Not really...

You have "X" amount of work to do with any fire control. Rotating the bolt is what compresses the striker assembly. The cocking "cam" and cocking piece basically act like a nut on a bolt. A thread. . . The Mausingfield differs slightly from a lot of actions in where it chooses to do this work.

Some action designs split it in half. You get some of it coming up and the rest going back into battery. It's known as "50/50". The cam pulls the striker back and when you run forward the cocking piece bites the trigger's transfer bar prior to the bolt lugs gaining purchase on the lug abutments of the receiver. Because the bolt "climbs the ramps" and the striker assy cannot move, the spring is compressed further.

Action designs that do it all as you lift the bolt are categorized as 105/-5. You do 105% of the work on bolt lift. -Over compressing the spring relative to its total amount of travel. The assembly goes back to 100 or "-5" when you drop the handle back down. The lugs of the bolt have a purchase on the receiver slightly ahead of the cocking piece purchasing the transfer bar.

Same work, just a matter of where it gets done.

The MF is a 105/-5 design. Early versions were offered in a 50/50. That went away some time ago. Compelling arguments get made in both directions. Easy bolt closure disturbs the gun less right before you go about your shot rhythm. Since the gun is already all over the place from recoil and since your already disturbing sights from bolt manipulation, it's a compelling reason.

50/50 gets the nod cause many say its faster. A quick flip and your rocking.

Black skirt or a white one. . . It's a personal preference and little more.

To make it "lighter" you would have to kill spring rate. The ARC MF has one of the most robust fire control assemblies ever created. Spring rates are a function of material, heat treatment, wire diameter, and coils per inch. There are very calculated processes for sorting out just how much energy is required to sustain an "all fire" condition on a primer cup. The Mausingfield exceeds these standards.

Going bang in virtually any condition is a good thing. Since we're all killers and studs, a few extra ounces of bolt lift shouldn't kill anyone.

That's a great explanation as usual.

I'm sure there is a fine balance of all you mentioned with the firing control system to ignite any primer all the time. And I've seen the posts about ignition problems with other custom actions which I thankfully haven't had to deal with in my Mausingfield!!!

At the end of the day the normal guy wants as light of a bolt lift as possible and wants to cycle his action as fast as possible. He doesn't care about the physics of the whole thing. Surely "the work" in the cocking can be engineered so there is sufficient firing pin energy and a lighter bolt lift is possible.

Look how far compound bows have come along in doing "the work". That might not be a apples to apples comparison but you get my point.

The geniuses just need to put their minds to it so they can win the "rifle action wars", lol. Lot's of competition these days!

That's a great explanation as usual.

I'm sure there is a fine balance of all you mentioned with the firing control system to ignite any primer all the time. And I've seen the posts about ignition problems with other custom actions which I thankfully haven't had to deal with in my Mausingfield!!!

You haven’t had to but others have. Myself being one. Luckily, Ted is very accommodating and was very helpful along the way so I didn’t feel the need to constantly post that I was getting light primer strikes at matches which cost points. He was always willing to take my calls and help so I will always applaud him for that.

It took a long time, lots of frustration and a well known smith finally looking at it to determine the issue. After replacing and upgrading the pin, the spring, etc the problem was finally determined. So nothing is full proof.

I still own the action and I plan on using it but it took a lot of mental strength to not toss it down a hill and leave it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know none of the physics behind any of this. But I have a brand new dlc mausingfield, and the bolt lift is heavier than all 3 of my tl3s. I have 1 uncoated 1 dlc new and 1 dlc used. All 3 are significantly lighter.