• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Mausingfield barrel fit other actions?

EchosGalahad

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2023
Colorado
Purchased a criterion barrel from ARC for a mausingfield action. The action didn't work out for me, curious if this barrel would work with other actions that allow prefits? I believe it's 1.0625x20

Custom actions are still very new for me.

Appreciate the help!

It’ll fit a Nucleus and an Archimedes also, assuming it’s a short action. I can’t recall how the long action is set up.

I wouldn’t expect it to fit any other actions; it’s a Savage thread pattern, but the headspace will likely not match a Savage rifle.

Reactions: EchosGalahad
If it’s in an old mausingfield it could be different, since you got a prefit I assume that what know nothing is correct

BARRELS FOR YOUR MAUSINGFIELD

Mausingfield actions with serial numbers of M5A3-00005 through M5A3-00024 use a 1.125” x 20 UN 2B thread, making them compatible with commercially available Savage large shank barrels and locknuts.

Mausingfield actions with serial numbers of M5A4-00025 and higher and all M7's use a 1-1/16” x 20 UN 2B barrel thread, making them compatible with commercially available Savage small shank barrels and locknuts.

Both types of barrels can be easily installed without the need for custom machining. Please note that the 1-1/16” x 16 UN thread of the M700 is not the same as that of either the Mausingfield or the Savage. Therefore, Remington M700 barrels are not compatible with the Mausingfield.

The Mausingfield can also be fitted with threaded and shouldered barrels that do not require a locknut. Such barrels should have a minimum shank diameter of 1.20 inches (30.5 mm), unless they are to be installed on a Mausingfield action having a serial number between M5A3-00005 and M5A3-00024. For actions with any of those numbers, the barrels should have a minimum shank diameter of 1.25 inches (31.7 mm).

Last edited:
How long is the barrel? Can a smith cut some off and you still have a reasonable length?

Reactions: EchosGalahad