• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes best bang for the buck

walt willis

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
ID
I was told that the Falcon Menace was a good scope for the money and at a gun show a vendor sold me a knock off called FM or famous maker. They both looked alike and was wondering if that is true?

After wasting a lot of money on compromises I finally learned to spend the money and get something decent. SWFA is a good value if you are strapped for cash. I have yet to see any knockoffs that are worth anything.

Reactions: roggom
After wasting a lot of money on compromises I finally learned to spend the money and get something decent. SWFA is a good value if you are strapped for cash. I have yet to see any knockoffs that are worth anything.

The guy that sold me the knock off said it was built with the very same parts as the real deal SWFA. Zeiss lenses and all. I worry about the workmanship. The three things that are needed to have a good product have always been quality engineering, material and workmanship. Those three may be found in only a few items on the market today as everyone seems to cut corners to make more profit.

The guy that sold me the knock off said it was built with the very same parts as the real deal SWFA. Zeiss lenses and all. I worry about the workmanship. The three things that are needed to have a good product have always been quality engineering, material and workmanship. Those three may be found in only a few items on the market today as everyone seems to cut corners to make more profit.

Yep. That's what they all say. Used to hear that all the time with ARs. "You're just paying for the name if you buy that Colt. This here Delton is made in the same factory" haha. Buy once, cry once.

I was told that the Falcon Menace was a good scope for the money and at a gun show a vendor sold me a knock off called FM or famous maker. They both looked alike and was wondering if that is true?

Nope...

Never heard of Falcon or FM.

I'm not rich enough to buy cheap equipment

That is funny way to say that in the long run it is penny wise and pound foolish! I agree that is a very good point you make and it would be wise to find the best for your needs. The Falcon cost around twice that of the knock off, but I was told the knock off was built with the exact same Zeiss lens but for half the price of $350. So for just $150 it might be a good deal?

That is funny way to say that in the long run it is penny wise and pound foolish! I agree that is a very good point you make and it would be wise to find the best for your needs. The Falcon cost around twice that of the knock off, but I was told the knock off was built with the exact same Zeiss lens but for half the price of $350. So for just $150 it might be a good deal?

Nope...

Mr Walt Willis, while the Falcon Menace is a technological wonder I find its objective size lacking for the kind of low-light long-range snipery stuff you may engage in. The fact it does not come with lens covers doesn't justify the price. IMHO, it is worth a few minutes to take a look at the European Extremely Large Telescope. With an objective diameter of 128 feet (did someone say IPSC steel at 37 light years away???) it also includes some extreme duty lens covers. The reticle in the pic below does seem a little thick however, for low light performance we are talking about eyeballing targets on the far side of a black hole somewhere beyond the crab nebula. Pretty good deal at $1.5 billion, if you ask me. They may even have a veteran or Sniper's Hide discount. And trust me, there is no knock off. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/static.independent.co.uk\/s3fs-public\/thumbnails\/image\/2014\/06\/19\/10\/An-artists-impression-of--014.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Reactions: winniedonkey
Reminds me of a friend who claimed his Hawke was the same quality as my Nightforce for 1/4 the cost. A few months later after selling his 3rd Hawke, because #1 broke and returned from repair, second went the same way, 3rd one he sold brand new (he profusely complained to the Co)and you guessed it, he bought a Nightforce.

Years before that I suggested to an acquaintance to buy a Falcon. He didn't have much money and found a used one. It didn't track which he blamed me for, lol. Haven't talked since.

Research...

Reactions: walt willis
Falcon made one decent scope a few years back; 4.5-18x56 SFP but the majority of their stuff is not suited for serious work. Really, the old expression "only a rich person can afford cheap glass" is true. I always recommend that the starting point for glass should be something like the Vortex PST/Sightron Siii or similar. These Barska, Falcon's, Hawke, Sterlings are all Made in China cheap stuff designed to suck you in and are inadequate for any serious shooting.

And... We're actually talking about a knock-off of a Falcon scope... No matter how many ways the question is asked the answer will still be "Nope..." :)

• Haha
Reactions: ken226
For the love of God, NO!!! Walk away from anybody trying to sell you some knock-off bullshit! Years and years ago, I thought about looking into one of those 1.5-5 or something LPV Falcon scopes for a 22lr, but then I came to my senses and started saving up for a decent scope. I'd imagine any knock-off of a Falcon would be 1000 times worse than the real one!

The fact is yes there are only a few companies in the world that make the core components. So it is entirely possibly that a cheap scope is made in the same factory as a ZEISS but they are made to different spec so the fact that they are under the same roof doesn't count for much

For what it's worth I actually have a FM scope. A 4-14x I believe. It's been a while since I've used it. It sits I top of a .177 RWS 34. Probably 1K rounds through it. I got it cause it was cheap and I just wanted some glass to play with. It's held zero. Now for those that know springer air rifles this is actually a pretty good test image to a cheap scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8541 Tactical (youtube) was broke when he first started out in civilian comps and won his first match with a Falcon against water walkers like some of these guys. LL was no different so don't underestimate the shooter next to you just because you think in your own mind that he has shit. In other words, shoot what you can afford and figure out how to make it work. Nobody has ever bought their way into shooting straight and not making a mess of it.

I'd also to look to an Athlon offering. They seem to be getting decent reviews and they offer pretty damn good features for the money. If they break, the company is standing behind them at least.

8541 Tactical (youtube) was broke when he first started out in civilian comps and won his first match with a Falcon against water walkers like some of these guys. LL was no different so don't underestimate the shooter next to you just because you think in your own mind that he has shit. In other words, shoot what you can afford and figure out how to make it work. Nobody has ever bought their way into shooting straight and not making a mess of it.

+1. I've seen guys with top of the line most expensive gear shoot like crap. If you buy a knock off you are going to get what you pay for. I started with a cheaper bushnell to get me going until I could afford better. A decent 10x40 got me to long distances.. just couldn't exactly see where I hit but could hear the steel ring.

Like this Hardpan?

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...700-long-range

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Tactic.../dp/B002RGCIGO

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Signat.../dp/B004R79L1Q

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/...-mount-20-moa/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210...ail-box-of-100

500 Meters
25-06 Rem
G7 = .187 (shit BC)
PPU Brass 9th reload with no annealing
3011 MV
Wind @2:00 9MPH
Unmeasured shot at 8:00 is the cold bore shot.
Target is a swinger and kept swinging around and back & forth through the whole group.
Oh yeah, Harris bipod, and Caldwell rear bag, lol.

100 yard zero
Shot at 2:00 is cold bore

Attachments

• photo47230.jpg
    photo47230.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 21
  • photo47231.jpg
    photo47231.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Like this Hardpan?

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...700-long-range

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Tactic.../dp/B002RGCIGO

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Signat.../dp/B004R79L1Q

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/...-mount-20-moa/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210...ail-box-of-100

500 Meters
25-06 Rem
G7 = .187 (shit BC)
PPU Brass 9th reload with no annealing
3011 MV
Wind @2:00 9MPH
Unmeasured shot at 8:00 is the cold bore shot.
Target is a swinger and kept swinging around and back & forth through the whole group.
Oh yeah, Harris bipod, and Caldwell rear bag, lol.

100 yard zero
Shot at 2:00 is cold bore

Hey man... is that my rifle? Haha that's damn close to what I started with. R700 varmint .308. Burris sig rings, Harris bipod. Nice shooting btw!! I suck at posting picks but after I put a hunter 700 on it started shooting through 1 hole with 168 smk factory rounds

When looking at optics that cheap, it is easier to save up for that next level that has a higher chance of actually working. If you do get a faulty one, that $300-$400 tier actually includes a decent warranty!

Man, try not to take this the wrong way but don't be such a sucker... I say that because I was once new to the whole idea of buying nice glass and for the life of me couldn't understand the justification for 1-4k glass... hell, at the time I had reservations about spending 400 bucks for a 4x14 Falcon Menace. I'm glad I did! It prompted me to more thoroughly research high and low budget optics. After learning a little bit I realized that precision equipment is NOT cheap and cheap equipment is anything but precise. I ended spending a couple hundred bucks more than the 4x14 on the SWFA 3x15. Not a single regret. I've since upgraded to an ERS but that's besides the point. There's definitely more quality options now in that 400ish dollar price range with the new Athlon scopes. While I don't have any first hand experience they seem to be all the rage on here lately for budget and 22 trainer builds. If you're on a really tight budget I'd suggest you start there. If dead nuts reliability is a serious concern I'd look hard at the SWFA line and weigh the fixed vs variable mag options they offer. Save your pennies brother, you'll be glad you did

Do yourself a favor and stop going to gun shows now. That's $20-$25 to put towards better optics right there! Pack a lunch, eat in, etc. In no time you can spend $300 on an SWFA and it'll serve you well for years to come.

Man, try not to take this the wrong way but don't be such a sucker... I say that because I was once new to the whole idea of buying nice glass and for the life of me couldn't understand the justification for 1-4k glass... hell, at the time I had reservations about spending 400 bucks for a 4x14 Falcon Menace. I'm glad I did! It prompted me to more thoroughly research high and low budget optics. After learning a little bit I realized that precision equipment is NOT cheap and cheap equipment is anything but precise. I ended spending a couple hundred bucks more than the 4x14 on the SWFA 3x15. Not a single regret. I've since upgraded to an ERS but that's besides the point. There's definitely more quality options now in that 400ish dollar price range with the new Athlon scopes. While I don't have any first hand experience they seem to be all the rage on here lately for budget and 22 trainer builds. If you're on a really tight budget I'd suggest you start there. If dead nuts reliability is a serious concern I'd look hard at the SWFA line and weigh the fixed vs variable mag options they offer. Save your pennies brother, you'll be glad you did

^^^ THIS IS A MAN WHO KNOWS!

I ( am very biased toward quality of glass) would say if your budget is:
$500 or less grab an Athlon, SWFA is ok for this range too but I think the Athlon has better glass but less features.
$500-$1000 Sightron S3 is decent or if you want more features look at Burris XTR II or SWFA has some options here too. But Sightron has the better glass.
$1000-$1500 the newer Bushnells ERS, XRS, DMR 2, are all great options and out perform most others (aka Good Value).
$1500-$2000 range too many to list that are just so good.
$2000-UP grab a Minox ZP5 5-25, or NF Beast (My current top optic).

Reactions: Slo cat
Ya, thanks for quoting me!

What the fuck does this have to do with scopes?

Talk about neco-mining a thread.

I guess you don’t watch “breaking bad” or get out much at all. Crawl back under that rock you came out from under.