• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Confused, AAC Mounting Mechanism

yotehunter422

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2012
Comanche County, TX
So on the way I have an AAC Prodigy and an AAC 762 SDN-6. First off I intend to mount the Prodigy on my SW M&P15-22 Does the Birdcage just screw off and on goes the prodigy? Next, I purchased the 762 with intentions to mount it on multiple rifles. Currently I intend to put it on my Remington R15, which has a fluted barrel with a recessed crown and I would like to know what kind of threading I need. I also have a WASR10 Romanian AK. After a little research, I decided it would be a good idea to rethread the factory threads. I read several accounts of the bullet hitting the can due to poor threading. I ordered this flash hider. For those not willing to click it, it is a 7.62 Blackout flash hider. I figured I'd get my AR threaded for that hider, then the AK rethreaded for it. Is it ok to use a 7.62 flash hider on a smaller caliber? Thanks for reading gentlemen I really appreciate it.

Re: Confused, AAC Mounting Mechanism

1) Which model number did you order
2) I hope you have enough barrel to thread it to 5/8x24 on the WASR
3) The muzzle device on the 22 should come off and your Prodigy can thread right on
4) Order the correct 51t muzzle brake for 1/2x28 threading and your 762SDn6 will go right on.

1.Model number for what specifically?
2.Me too. If not I'll have to scrounge around for an adapter.
3. Excellent.
4. The flash hider I ordered is a 51t. My AR's barrel is not threaded, so I'll just get it threaded to match the flash hider.

The threads are cut pretty long on most of the AR type 22's. I use a small spacer on the end of my Sig 522 to keep the end of the barrel away from the baffles a bit. Similar to these. http://www.thesilencerstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

AR15's are traditionally threaded 1/2x28. If you are going to use the same suppressor on multiple hosts, then you need to get a flash hider for each host. They are supposed to be installed with the included Rockset to keep them from backing off, so its really not feasible to keep taking the hider off and transferring it to different weapons.

If it were me I would thread the R15 1/2x28 so that it will be correct for other Ar15 muzzle devices and suppressors if you choose to buy another later on.

The link you provided takes you to 3 different brakes from AAC. Which one did you order? One of them is not setup for suppressor installation.

I would not run an adapter on a WASR rifle... Get the barrel threaded properly. Then install your AAC brake

So if you ordered it already, what is the thread pitch? Hand that over to your smith and you are good to go.

I ordered a Blackout flash hider 51t,7.62 in 5/8-24. I dropped of my AR at the smith today and that is getting threaded in 1/2x28. I asked him about the AK, and he said since its a nightmare to get an AK barrel on a lathe, it would cost me over $300, so I figured I'd do a little bit more research. If I can't get the 7.62 flash hider on that AK, it won't go to waste; I have several rifles I can get fitted for it.

You purchased a muzzle device with an ID thread of 5/8x24 and are having your barrel threaded 1/2x28, am I reading that correctly?

You need to purchase the muzzle device with correct threads for the barrel, in this case a 1/2x28 Blackout for your AR.

To rethread a standard 7.62x39 AKM barrel to 1/2x28 would require removing the barrel from the trunnion, after threading was complete reinstalling the barrel and re pinning, headspace check should always be performed any time a barrel is installed on an AK. $300 seems high, it is 30 minutes of work on the barrel removal/install and 30 on the threading (for a comptetant smith).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yotehunter422</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered a Blackout flash hider 51t,7.62 in 5/8-24. I dropped of my AR at the smith today and that is getting threaded in 1/2x28. I asked him about the AK, and he said since its a nightmare to get an AK barrel on a lathe, it would cost me over $300, so I figured I'd do a little bit more research. If I can't get the 7.62 flash hider on that AK, it won't go to waste; I have several rifles I can get fitted for it. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yotehunter422</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered a <span style="color: #3366FF">Blackout flash hider 51t,7.62 in 5/8-24. I dropped of my AR at the smith today and that is getting threaded in 1/2x28.</span> I asked him about the AK, and he said since its a nightmare to get an AK barrel on a lathe, it would cost me over $300, so I figured I'd do a little bit more research. If I can't get the 7.62 flash hider on that AK, it won't go to waste; I have several rifles I can get fitted for it. </div></div>

Why would you buy a 5/8x24 brake and have the smith thread it 1/2x28? That doesn't make sense and if your smith is willing to do that for you. find a new one.

You might want to start researching a little more on suppressors and their accessories because an uneducated user can really hurt themselves if they are not careful.

I bought the 5/8-24 for my other guns and I am currently looking for a 1/2x28 for my AR. Brownells didn't have any 1/2x28- they are fairly difficult to find. Sorry for the confusion

Do an internet search and you should turn up quite a few results. I used Silencer Shop the last time and had my brake within a few days.