• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300WM precision hunting rifle

MJY65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Minnesota
I'm wanting to put together a precision hunting rig and have narrowed the caliber down to 300WM. I think it has the combination of ballistics I'm looking for and I'm set up to reload. I say precision hunting, rather than long range hunting, simply because I would limit shots on game to 500 or 600 yards. I know that doesn't really qualify as long range to some.

In any event, I'm kind of torn between a couple of rifle options. I started with the Rem 700 in mind and thought the Tactical Long Range model might work well. Since getting a couple of TRGs, I've added Sakos to the list. The TRG is too heavy for my tastes as a hunting rifle, but I would consider something in their 85 series. Maybe a Finnlight? The difference in price between the two is only a few hundred.

So Rem 700 TLR vs Sako 85 Finnlight in 300WM. Opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

If your wanting a budget rifle I would suggest the 700 police. I only say that because you hand load. I loved mine. My go to load was 72.7 r22 208 amax. It would shoot 3/4 moa at 1200 yards. I had to rebarrel it but man I loved that rifle. For hunting I ran the 210 vld at 2900 fps and it shot better than the amax but wasn't nearly as cost effective

If your wanting a budget rifle I would suggest the 700 police. I only say that because you hand load. I loved mine. My go to load was 72.7 r22 208 amax. It would shoot 3/4 moa at 1200 yards. I had to rebarrel it but man I loved that rifle. For hunting I ran the 210 vld at 2900 fps and it shot better than the amax but wasn't nearly as cost effective

Not necessarily looking for the cheapest 700. I think either the 700 TLR or the Sako will be 1200-1500.

I have a 700 5r that I use in the same role. I dropped it in a b&c stock cause I hated the one it came with. It shoots as good as I can and the price was less than a some you mentioned. They can be hard to find, but not impossible.