• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dopler Radar

VaRandy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Back in the day when Lost River offered early .408 projectiles (the 419) they claimed to have paid big bucks in Idaho I believe to chart the ACTUAL oath of the projectiles all the way to the ground.

Is this the only way to absolutely chart performance for ELR projectiles. I know that everyone keeps saying that charts beyond 1300 yes are really suspect, not to mention 2 miles.

Is there any other way to do it without recovering the bullet and computing back to the firing point?

I presume the cost and access (military only) is a huge problem.

Yep, I think they did the Doppler Radar tests at White Sands way back when and the point was to accurately measure BC. Is it the only way? No, but as far as I know it's the most accurate way to determine trajectory and therefore derive BC. The advantage of using Doppler Radar measurements, I would assume, is because the trajectory can be traced at very high sample rates and result in a very accurate curve with minimal interpolation.

If you check into Bryan Litz's work, he talks about the various ways that you can determine a bullet flight path and a corresponding BC. They include:
- Radar: track the path.
- Sound: measure the "crack" of the bullet as it passes at various ranges.
- Physical: place witness media in the path of the bullet, and note the flight path in the media.

There have been a number of radar studies conducted.

With the new Labradar Chrono coming out, it will be interesting to see where it goes down the road?
LabRadar - My Personal Radar