• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shooters in NY

macab0ne

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2014
central NY
I am hoping that some Hide members from New York can shed some light on the restrictions we have to have on our rifles. I have read and searched all the information I can find and get really mixed answers on what is allowed and what is not. So my question is, can a bolt action rifle have a pistol grip in New York? The safe act nonsense clearly states that semi auto rifles can not and would classify it as an assault rifle. It also states that a bolt gun is not classified as an assault rifle but they never state if there are any restrictions at all. I am hoping that someone with some experience in the matter could shed some light on this?

I have had my eye on something along the lines of an AI or whiskey 3 chassis system and want to make sure I would not be breaking any laws.

Thank for any info on this, I appreciate it.

Since it's not considered an AW a pistol grip as well as muzzle device are gtg. I had the same? before ordering my Rem 700 AAC-SD.

Either of those options are perfectly fine. You can have whatever you want for a bolt gun other than a barrel less than 16" and a suppressor. That being said who knows when they will come after bolt rifles.

Thanks for the quick reply guy! That is good news. This will be my first center fire rifle and I didn't want to order something and get it together just to find out I could get in trouble for it.

cjmill87, I'm from Syracuse as well, might I ask where you shoot? I have been shooting my .22 on my folks land but there is no where near enough space for larger caliber. I would like to join a range are there any you could recommend?