• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing through the bore chamber flush?

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
i am about to get set up to use through the bore chamber flush system for reaming chambers. at this point, i <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> i am just going to use low pressure (what ever the coolant pump that came with my late is) to keep the mess under control. i don't hear a lot of talk about through the bore chamber flush systems but it sure seems like a great idea. i can't stand using compressed air to blow swarf down the barrel in between reaming pecks.

i am wondering if i should keep running the dark sulphur cutting oil or go to an actual flood type coolant. i am also wondering what else i need to get besides the coupler gtr sells. i am sure i am going to want a good fine filter to keep metal particles out of the coolant flowing though the bore.

does anyone here use through the bore chamber flushing? any advice on the subject?

thanks in advance.

Re: through the bore chamber flush?

Its something Ive been thinking about myself for a while. I was going to just go, as you said with the machines own pump, but theres also the issue of making the reamers so that they will allow the coolant through. This is something I havent gotten around to looking at yet but I thing its got to be a provision left in the form of grooves in the reamer bushings. Im interested in seing the replies on this.

i don't have a reamer here in front of me but i think you can notch the screw that holds the pilot bushing on to allow more coolant to pass by.

Yes, run the dark sulpher cutting oil. Rigid Cutting / Threading oil that Home Depot or Lowes sells. The formula I was given is 3:1 (Ridgid Cutting Oil : EP Tap Magic Xtra)

You need a flow back built into the system in case of a blockage.

The screw that holds the piolet bushings on will need oil groves cut into the head. Also, roughing reamers that are used with this system should have the 22 caliber piolet / bushings with oil groves.

i had not even though about a roughing reamer. are you supposed to use one with this setup? i am not sure why you would need to but i want to make sure i am not missing anything.

You dont have to use roughing reamer I just threw that out there.

Be interested in if you think this set-up improves the chambering process. Is it smoother, straighter, etc. Seems to me like the reamer would last longer if there was good coolant flow which might indicate that the cut would be cleaner.

I built my own system with a high pressure pump and vary the pressure with a ball valve. I use the dark cutting oil and filter it with a two stage filter set-up. I slot the pilot screws and start every chamber with a roughing reamer and finish with a finish reamer (of course). You don't have to rough the chambers first, but I get better chambers and reduce wear on my finish reamers. When finish reamers are worn, I send them in for re-grind to a roughing reamer. The pump set-up has immensely improved my chambers.

are you chambering on a nc machine or manual? i am curious how much of a mess high pressure oil would be on an open machine.

do you have any information you could share on your system, what kind of pump, coupler etc?

it is hard for me to justify a roughing reamer since at this point i am only doing my own work. my reamers may only do one or two chambers. if i were doing production work, i could see using a roughing reamer and possibly also going to carbide.

I use a manual lathe and in all honesty, it's messy as hell with the ball valve beyond half way open but it really doesn't require a lot of pressure to flush the chamber while cutting. I can send pictures and specs tomorrow.

Your approach on the roughing reamer makes sense. I chamber a lot of barrels and get a lot of use out of my carbide finish reamers by roughing the chamber first.

Here's one example. The two orange lines going down are the feed and return lines. I plug the cord up and power the system by a switch on the chip pan. You cant see the return line from the lathe.
2chrhac.jpg

This is a rotary coupler made from a 360 degree air coupler and a step aluminum fititng I made to accept three different hose sizes. I'll change and thread the NPT fitting into barrels from now on.
2v1uvpe.jpg

Here's the ball valve, pressure gauge and pressure reliefe valve for the return line. This is where you can control the amount of pressure you get.
2qn9j76.jpg

thanks william. where do you find that pump and filter? would the regular coolant pump that comes with a chinese lathe not have enough pressure/volume to use for through the bore flushing? i'm starting to think pushing oil though a filter may be a bit much to ask of it.

cool! thanks. and i just deleted an email from msc with a discount code as i wasn't planning on spending that much money with them today. is that the same pump you are using? it is pricey but i if i could make it semi-portable, i could use it on the mill also. there have been times in some deep pockets i have had trouble evacuating chips fast enough and sure could have used more flow than was provided by the cheap pump that i have now. i can see lots of time mopping the shop floor in my near future
grin.gif