• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom.......

Re: Custom.......

The two benchrest rifles I have had were both totally custom rifles. One was a Hall action with a hand made laminated cherry stock. The other was a Farley dual port action. It loaded on the left and spit the empties out the right. It was in a Terry Leonard redwood / carbon fiber stock.

The 1K rifle was made with a CUSTOMIZED Rem 700 action, Mike Rock barrel on a HS Precision adjustable stock.

Would I spend that kind of money like that again? It would depend on the income level I had coming in at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does it mean to you and how do you define it? </div></div> <span style="font-size: 20pt">(1)Not much
(2)something that is made according to the specifications of an individual
</span>

LOL! From the shout box to a thread!

Webster says:

Main Entry: custom
Function: adjective
1 : made or performed according to personal order
2 : specializing in custom work or operation <a "custom" tailor>

In my case, I make ammunition for a specific rifle to shoot the best it can with the desired components. They tell me what bullet they want, I make it shoot in "their" rifle. This makes it custom. Will the same ammo shoot in someone else's rifle, more than likely. But it won't be custom to that other rifle.

More money from you, more effort from the supplier.
Built to your specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two benchrest rifles I have had were both totally custom rifles. One was a Hall action with a hand made laminated cherry stock. The other was a Farley dual port action. It loaded on the left and spit the empties out the right. It was in a Terry Leonard redwood / carbon fiber stock.

The 1K rifle was made with a CUSTOMIZED Rem 700 action, Mike Rock barrel on a HS Precision adjustable stock.

Would I spend that kind of money like that again? It would depend on the income level I had coming in at the time. </div></div>

That 1000yd rifle is sweet. Understated class... all black and goes with anything.

Custom to me is something that cannot be found on any store shelf and must be built or assembled to specification.

Built to end-user's specifications. Here is my customized AR-15.

purpose-built.jpg

Chambered in .458 Socom, that means a special bolt and barrel had to be made. The extractor has to get reprofiled for the larger bolt face and the ejection port gets opened up. Outfitted with KNS, VLTOR, Daniel Defense, Badger Ordnance, and RRA parts. Vortex flash hider, MI front sight, ARMS #40L buis. Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x36 M2 in a LaRue SPR mount. Not avaliable commercially in that configuration, so it is 'custom'.

Ok, thge reson for this post was due to the shoutbox discussion we had earlier today.

This is MY thoughts on custom. If you can take off the shelf parts and assemble them without making any modifications to the parts that you purchased you dont have a custom, you simply have something modified for the end user.

Say if you bought a Harley, and took off everything that you didnt like and then went out and bought off the shelf parts to bolt on in place of the stuff that you took of. To me that is not a custom that simply is modified to the end users taste.

With an AR, you can take the foregrip off and add a freefolat forearm, you can take and add a low pro gas block, you can add this or that to make it what you want. To me that isnt customizing if everything is from off the shelf parts. To me that simply is moddified to the end user.

I think for me to be able to say that something is a custom is that it takes hand fitting and hand work to get all parts to work together.

A smith makes a custom rifle because the parts of the whole are hand fitted to create the whole. Although that same smith can build anothe rifle to the same specs not everything is going to fit the same and it must be custom tailored to fit. That way each rifle they build is a custom rifle because the exact measuremnts arent going to be exact, there will be some variences and each rifle will be a one of a kind

I know a LOT of people have said I have a fucked up thought of what I feel a custom is.

the commonly accepted definition of custom is something that is modified to the end user's tastes
laugh.gif
so you saying that isn't custom to you doesn't make sense to me? You seem to be saying that it doesn't matter that it was modified to make it custom, but how much effort or work went into modifying it. I guess to each his own, but to me the definition has been established for many years before I came around and learned the language
laugh.gif

Anyway, all in good fun...

I know a LOT of people have said I have a fucked up thought of what I feel a custom is. [/quote]

????... Umm? HUH! OK???

If I drop a scope and you can tell, it's now a custom. My gun barrel accidentally got shut in the truck door definitely made that rifle custom. Still shoots the same, it just looks "customized" now. just kiddin' around..good shooting everyone!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does it mean to you and how do you define it? </div></div>

Duct tape....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...This is MY thoughts on custom. If you can take off the shelf parts and assemble them without making any modifications to the parts that you purchased you dont have a custom, you simply have something modified for the end user....

...I think for me to be able to say that something is a custom is that it takes hand fitting and hand work to get all parts to work together.

A smith makes a custom rifle because the parts of the whole are hand fitted to create the whole. Although that same smith can build anothe rifle to the same specs not everything is going to fit the same and it must be custom tailored to fit. That way each rifle they build is a custom rifle because the exact measuremnts arent going to be exact, there will be some variences and each rifle will be a one of a kind

I know a LOT of people have said I have a fucked up thought of what I feel a custom is. </div></div>

Sir your argument holds no water. Both the accepted and literal definitions match none of your thoughts... Example:

Merriam-Webster defines the following:

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-size: 20pt">custom</span> </span>

Function:
adjective
Date:

1 : made or performed according to personal order

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt">customize</span></span>

Function:
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
cus·tom·ized; cus·tom·iz·ing
Date:

: to build, fit, or alter according to individual specifications

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt">custom–built /custom-made</span></span>

Function:
adjective
Date:

: built to individual specification

Regardless of WHAT is altered, by definition, if altered it has been 'customized'. If you take a stock Remmy, add a Karsten cheek rest, you have just 'customized' your rifle.

If you take an 'off the shelf' barrel from a manufacturer like Rock, Bartlein, etc., and screw it on your rifle... pssst... guess what... you've just 'customized' it.

If you replace your regular handguards on your AR Carbine with a LArue full length rifle free float tube...

need I go on??

Here's a pic of my 'slightly modified' rifle

Stiller TAC-30
Rock barrel chambered in .308 & finished at 24" with M40 crown
Manners MCS-T1
Rem Trigger
Stiller 20MOA base
Badger DBM
TPS Rings
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 MLR & Mil turrets

Shooting 'slightly modified' ammo:

BHA brass
Fed 210 primer
47.5gr Varget
Lapua 155 Scenar @ 2.88 OAL

rifle_2.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

I say you add a poll to this post, but make sure you add the option of <span style="font-size: 17pt">"Who gives a fuck?"</span>

We all know what the definition means....

I think the application is up to the owner.

My 700 started as a stock SPS-V. So far I have replaced the trigger and stock to suit me. So is it a custom now? It has been tailored to fit me an my application, but I would not necessarily call it a custom.

HOWEVER, some would drop a stock 700P or 5R barreled action into a AICS or McMillan and call it a custom.

When I glass bed it to it's stock, is it now a custom? If I replace the barrel with a "custom" ordered barrel is is now a custom?

It's all semantics. In the end, my rifle fill my needs so I really don't care what others call it.

I think Outsyd is allowing his disdain for calling simplistic AR building "custom" to influence his opinion of what a custom firearm really is. I have a friend who thinks a rifle built on a factory 700 action isn't custom; both opinions run in the same vein.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Outsyd is allowing his disdain for calling simplistic AR building "custom" to influence his opinion of what a custom firearm really is. I have a friend who thinks a rifle built on a factory 700 action isn't custom; both opinions run in the same vein.

</div></div>

its not jsut AR "building" Its bolting on parts to a Harley, things that you go to the store and say I want this, this, and that, then go home and bolt it on. When it comes time to sell said Harley or whenever you describe it you call it a "custom" to me thats not a custom. That is modified to fit the end user, not custom to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Outsyd is allowing his disdain for calling simplistic AR building "custom" to influence his opinion of what a custom firearm really is. I have a friend who thinks a rifle built on a factory 700 action isn't custom; both opinions run in the same vein.

</div></div>

its not jsut AR "building" Its bolting on parts to a Harley, things that you go to the store and say I want this, this, and that, then go home and bolt it on. When it comes time to sell said Harley or whenever you describe it you call it a "custom" to me thats not a custom. That is modified to fit the end user, not custom to me. </div></div>

I agree that, like a Harley with faggy tassels and bolted on chrome, a 6920 with a DD lite rail isn't what I consider a "custom" gun. However, a ground up AR is as custom as chopper built from spec'd aftermarket production parts such as a S&S crate engine, stripped frame, and Jessy James fenders. The ease with which the AR was built doesn't relate to the fact that it was feature specified by the customer and differs from available production models.

Overall I disagree with you based on the dictionary definition of "custom" but understand where you're coming from.

i would say it was up to the owner.if he says it is custom.that would mean that it is to him.even if it only had a hand made sling from bailin twine.maybe thinking about it .i would just say there are different degrees of customization.

Now, Wil's fireplace. That is definitively "custom"... or is it "customized?" Never seen one come out of the wall... Oh slam! Never mind, the picture is sideways!
smile.gif
wink.gif