• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns “5 or 6” barrel for 10mm 1911?? Recoil??

a1-equipment

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Salem VA
Thinking of getting a 10mm 1911 to carry when walking and working at the farm. I really like les Baers (have 9 of them). Have looked both 5”&6” .I haven’t shot with a 10mm ever.

Is the 6” barrel they way to go? If so why?
How different is the recoil compared to 45acp.

I like the longer sight radius with the 6in, recoil on both are about the same.
How potent the. 10mm load is dictates recoil on both.

Reactions: bullseye13
I have shot a 10MM quite a bit but never carried one. I have also read and researched them a good bit and loaded some ammo. Likely the best pistol cartridge ever made.

First off, as a confirmed .45 ACP shooter, I found the 10 MM recoil to be actually less with all loads I tried some of the hot loads.
I have read but do not know that the 1911 is not an ideal 10 MM platform. A bit hot for the old design. The Colt Delta Élite handled them well.

I think from what I read only that the Glock is the best 10 MM platform. Lighter, stronger etc. I don't carry one as I prefer the 1911 and have a lifetime supply of ammo and components for the .45 ACP.
JMHO

I ran a few mags of heavy loads through my friend’s Dan Wesson with a 5” barrel.

Snappier than 45+P loads and not hard to control in a 1911.
For reference I am 5’7” and 150 and decently fit.

Also have a good bit through a G20.
Same and no issues.

Personally for a regular carry piece I would go with whatever carries easiest. Thats a key part of this too. IMAO

Be sure to share pics of what you get. We all love gun pics!!

I'd look at the SIG P220 Elite over a 1911 for 10mm
It handles the recoil of the hot loads a lot better, but has a similar grip profile.

Reactions: RTH1800
I prefer the heavier weight and longer sight radius of the 6" guns. I dont notice the recoil being any more than a standard 45acp 1911.

Barrel length/weight issue is simply a matter of what you are willing to carry. For shooting 6" has clear advantages.

6" gives the longer sight radius which is a plus and that little extra velocity. 10mm power can vary wildly from not much more than a .45acp+p to over 800 ftlbs. Recoil will be commensurate. 6" will be a little heavier however.
So if it is an EDC carry, I would say 5" is better. If it is for hunting or trail carry, I would say 6" is preferred.

If it were me, I would be choosing the Glock 20sf or the Sig mentioned above. But a 1911 is fine. If you are set on a 1911, and want a 6", check out the Springfield TRP operator. It's beefed up some in the stress points for 10mm.

Depends on how hot the loads are. A 200 gr WFN bullet at 1200 fps will get your attention, but nothing that any healthy American male shouldn’t be able to handle.

I’d go with the 5 inch over the 6 inch. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze for the extra inch.

I have a Witness with a 4.75" barrel, and I'm getting over 1300fps with a 180gr. XTP. Have a 6" G40 on its way. There are some impressive velocites from the 6-7" guns, I've seen posted over on 10mmfirearms.com

I have a Delta which was done by Brian Bilby (quite a famous pistolsmith who specialized in 10 mm for his short life)
I LOVE it, I will never sell it as it was made for a friend of mine who was a good friend of Brians.
IF I was to carry 10 mm I would carry a Glock! The Delta is awesome but its big and its heavy. If you are looking for a 10 mm to just shoot at the range and play with a Delta is a great choice perhaps even if you want to hunt with 10 mm but if you are remotely considering actually carrying it go with the Glock.

We live in the sticks and I carry a G20 with a 6” 9x25 Dillon. It’s an amazing critter getter. Think explosive vs hole punch.
Cheers
F5ACC4A0-9D84-441B-BE1F-7D065BC26C57.png