• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Non Surefire” Weapon Lights

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Fenix, Streamlight, Olight, Nitecore...? Looking for something in the sub $150 range to put on an AR15. Wondering what has a good reputation of holding up well.

I have a Fenix PD35 that I use for Edc and it’s been solid for 5yrs. People seem to like the SLProtacs better though.

Reactions: TheChief
    I have several surefire weapon lights but Streamlight makes some very good lights.
    I don't have any of thier weapon light but have a head lamp made by them that is in my opinion overbuilt.

I recently added an Olight Odin to one of my ARs. I've used quite a different variety of weapon mounted lights and I think this one hits the sweet spot. Rechargeable, easy to attach/detach, well built, able to use tape switch or direct activation. So far, I like it more than most of the other systems I've used. It's also in your quoted price range.

i have an Olight Baldr that is similar to my X400U and seems to work well, if you aren't adverse to chinese products.
    of course i bought it before wuhan flu.

i also use a fenix edc.

Terralux TT-5 and TT-4. I think they have updated their lights since these models, but they have something similar. I believe they max out at $125.00

They also have a pressure pad with a strobe button and an on/off button that at least for me you can hit the button for a quick flash of light or hold it down longer to activate constant on.

Streamlights have worked well.

Used them all the time for FD calls. On helmet, clipped to jacket. Small spare on pocket.

Ran a lot of highway calls in the mtns in winter. Always did me right.

My buddy has the Inforce AR light and pistol light. Seems nice for the $

I have run Surefire for years and I have been pleasantly surprised with the Streamlight Protac weapon lights. We have them on all of our department patrol rifles. They have worked well and been going strong.

I have a pro tac on my mp5. While I don’t use the pressure switch on that rifle I’m not really wild about the design of the pic mount for it the slidey sleeves with a self tapping screw kinda seems odd and it sits up higher than the sure fire but the light is tits for the money. Just as good output wise as my sf scout

Another vote for the Streamlight protac, 1k lumens with a pressure switch for under $160.

Streamlight fan here. Have a TLR1 HP on my AR and TLR2HLG on my scorpion. Also have several stinger flashlights and a helmet light for firefighting. I’ve owned the TLR1 and 1 stinger for almost 10 years and still going strong

OP, do you have any requirements besides price point? Target ID via a red dot or an LPVO? Indoors, further away outside?

Reactions: Leftie
    OP, do you have any requirements besides price point? Target ID via a red dot or an LPVO? Indoors, further away outside?

My SBR is in need of a light. However it has a toolless adjustable gas block located under the handguard. You adjust it by pushing on it from either side with a bullet. So the light has to go at either the 3 or 9 o’clock position in order to not block access to the gas block.

im looking for a light to go on an in-line Arisaka Mount. That mounts close and tight to the handguard. Also because it’s a 10.5in upper theres not a lot of real estate on the handguard to mount the light while also keeping it out of the way of my hand placement. If that makes sense.

It does. Amazon has a streamlight with a tapeswitch that is a great value - someone in the PX here might have the same, great light and switch for the money. It is not as bomb-proof and battle tested as surefire with their tape switch, but it is 1/3 the price. Having run both (my go-to SBR wears a surefire scout, for size and durability), I have been pleasantly surprised by the durability of the streamlights.

My SBR is in need of a light. However it has a toolless adjustable gas block located under the handguard. You adjust it by pushing on it from either side with a bullet. So the light has to go at either the 3 or 9 o’clock position in order to not block access to the gas block.

im looking for a light to go on an in-line Arisaka Mount. That mounts close and tight to the handguard. Also because it’s a 10.5in upper theres not a lot of real estate on the handguard to mount the light while also keeping it out of the way of my hand placement. If that makes sense.

I meant more along the lines of what you need it to do (output, target ID at x distance). For home defense I’m really happy w/ Arisaka’s 3 series light, if you can find one.

I've had good luck with both Streamlight (as others have said) and Enforce. the manipulation of the Enforce is different, but they are very compact if you've got pic rails.

Here is a geissele 11.5 pistol with the arisaka in line mount. Light is a surefire 600df. The surefire isn't that much more than your budget. The $269 price tag is bs and if you shop around you can find them between $220 to $240. Arisaka was running a deal on surefire products not to long ago.
    I have heard good things about streamlights from a few friends. I will always buy surefire because I am a brand whore. There really isn't a need for bombproof products when you're a civilian.

Attachments

• 20200828_191623.jpg
      20200828_191623.jpg
      350.5 KB · Views: 130
    Here is a geissele 11.5 pistol with the arisaka in line mount. Light is a surefire 600df. The surefire isn't that much more than your budget. The $269 price tag is bs and if you shop around you can find them between $220 to $240. Arisaka was running a deal on surefire products not to long ago.
    I have heard good things about streamlights from a few friends. I will always buy surefire because I am a brand whore. There really isn't a need for bombproof products when you're a civilian.

yikes. That would take up the whole side of my 10in handguard. I’m going to need something a lot smaller than that

yikes. That would take up the whole side of my 10in handguard. I’m going to need something a lot smaller than that

The 300 is the smaller version but has less lumens. I guess it depends on your application. I'm not throwing IR/NV stuff on there and I'm only putting RD optic (possibly magnifier) on it so having the larger light wasn't an issue. Arisaka also make a 45 degree mount.

Chinese manufactured lights are a no-go for me.

I have been happy with the Arisaka lights and they are made in the USA like the Surefires. They are less than $200, but more than $150.

Inforce would be the US made option under $150. I actually run one at 12 O' clock on my 10.5" 300 Blackout. If I could go back in time, I would have gotten the 2 cell Inforce to reduce the shadow from the suppressor.

IMG_0504.jpg

I also have an Arisaka 300 light mounted to an Arisaka inline mount on my 11.5" 5.56. The Arisaka bodies and Malkoff heads are nice an slim compared to the Surefires.

IMG_0507.jpg

Reactions: Jigstick
    The problem with the Cloud Defensive OWL is the mount for my application. The OWL would totally obstruct my access to the gas block

The problem with the Cloud Defensive OWL is the mount for my application. The OWL would totally obstruct my access to the gas block

Exactly the reason we're all waiting on the REIN. I hope all the delays to refine it turn out to be worth it. I'd just buy a Modlight, but I do not like their color temperature. I don't understand the fascination with the cooler temperatures, and at the price you pay, it shouldn't be related to cheaping out and buying bottom tier binned LEDs.

Reactions: Leftie and ddavis
    Honestly is a Streamlight Protac robust? I’m not looking for “jumping off an Afghanistan cliff” reliability. But I need something that is going to withstand muzzle brake blast and being run hard on a 10.5 MK18 rifle.

From the list you gave, I'd go with Streamlight, though I gotta say I much prefer Surefire.

I mean you could always go double barrel Tascos with zip ties.

Attachments

• 535694A1-4EFA-41A0-B3E1-63EE8F4EE88A.jpeg
      535694A1-4EFA-41A0-B3E1-63EE8F4EE88A.jpeg
      923.6 KB · Views: 73
    My employer started buying Olight a few years ago. I turned my nose up to them... I’m not a fan of made in China stuff...
    -But, they held up as well as anything else.

because of that, I have bought a few of them now.

Very happy with the product and the customer service is A+

Just this week I noticed, I lost a charger for my rechargeable rail mounted light. They sent me one for free in days.

For a everyday, Value light they are very good.

My employer started buying Olight a few years ago. I turned my nose up to them... I’m not a fan of made in China stuff...
    -But, they held up as well as anything else.

because of that, I have bought a few of them now.

Very happy with the product and the customer service is A+

Just this week I noticed, I lost a charger for my rechargeable rail mounted light. They sent me one for free in days.

For a everyday, Value light they are very good.
    I have the same issue and thats why I buy name brand even though other brands function. Plenty of good lights that will easily service the civilian needs and that of law enforcement as well.

Arms unlimited has the x300u-a for $199 with free shipping going on right now.

It depends on what you need the light to do...

for a class I picked up a weaver sight base and screwed it into my free float tube. I could the. Use the light from my pistol on my rifle.

the class night shooting was within 50 yards and less and the light was weak

If you need to light things up in the house or a class, this was a $5 mount and some leftover screws.

If you need to sear retinas at 500 yards, $150 budget does not work.

you can get used surefire and stream light weaver attacking pistol lights cheap.

Example

Honestly is a Streamlight Protac robust? I’m not looking for “jumping off an Afghanistan cliff” reliability. But I need something that is going to withstand muzzle brake blast and being run hard on a 10.5 MK18 rifle.
    Got a Streamlight ProTac Railmount HL-X 1000 lumens and it's been a reliable light under moderate use (Colt 16" barrel), great luminosity. Only noticeable weakness I know of is the remote pressure switch, only rated IPX-4 (resistant to water splashes from any direction ) while the light itself is rated IPX-7 (30 minutes, 1 meter deep). Altogether a solid light but still not on par with the Surefire for heavy duty use.

Last edited:
    Any of the big names will serve you well. I have not had the best experience with Inforce, however.

14160370-CAA9-48AD-936B-9A5DCB9C933E.jpeg

will give this a whirl this weekend. See how she works. Not convinced this is the solution if looking for.

I run a Streamlight on my G19 and its held up very well. I also have a Fenix PD35 on my Colt AR and its had no issues. It's a really great light, and the Fenix QD flashlight mount is absolutely awesome.

I'm a fan of Modlite. I bought it in pieces to build what I wanted. The quality is really nice and very heavy duty.

Also like the Arisaka mount , nice quality.

This light is built heavier than Surefire

View attachment 7417752
    They're really nice, but blow his $150 budget into orbit. But if you need a no fail light this is about as close as it gets.

Exactly the reason we're all waiting on the REIN. I hope all the delays to refine it turn out to be worth it. I'd just buy a Modlight, but I do not like their color temperature. I don't understand the fascination with the cooler temperatures, and at the price you pay, it shouldn't be related to cheaping out and buying bottom tier binned LEDs.

You and me both. I had an OWL for a while. The light output was incredible and I liked the warm color. Didn't care for the form factor. I'll wait as long as I need to for the REIN. I have no doubt the Modlight is as good or better but I don't care for the harsh output.

-Dan

Reactions: ormandj and Leftie
    Wading into the debate here, as I've had my fair share of "light adventures", especially over the past 6 months. I'm a big proponent of having a useable light that works for your purposes on all rifles that you own.

@Jigstick, at your budget tier, a $150 Streamlight will likely perform adequately and sufficiently. Are they the "best" solution? Maybe not, but they hit your budget tier, and are likely durable enough to withstand your uses while performing the illumination task. A buddy of mine likes his Streamlight just fine that sits on his suppressed MK18 clone and has gone through probably north of 12k rounds on the rifle with the light mounted. Actually, he just told me that he hasn't had any problem with the Protacs when shooting unsuppressed or suppressed . I'd say . He did recently upgrade to a Modlite 18650 on one of his uppers, and a Surefire 640DF on another MK18 clone upper that is identical. His choice wasn't based around the Streamlight's performance, and he still runs Streamlight Protacs on other rifles that he has and likes the light.

@JC0352's questions are super-pertinent to your light choice, and should be the driving factors behind your decision.

Here's another factor to the discussion that may or may not matter to you: If you don't care about the type of batteries that you're using, then CR123s are likely just fine, but my personal preference goes to 18650 and 18350s. AAs still have a place, but unless you have a logistical reason for selecting a weaponlight that uses them, then they're not really relevant to the weaponlight discussion, just my opinion.

I have briefly used an Arisaka/Malkoff combo, and if you're willing to spend a bit more money, they perform well. I really don't have much experience with them though, so I can't comment on them outside of "they work reasonably well from my limited experience". I haven't ever heard bad things about them or that they were inadequate though.

Ok, so on to the much higher budget (like, 2 to 3x your budget) options:

The Modlite lights perform as advertised, are highly modular, and are extremely rugged. The PLHv1 heads are a great step up in output and performance from the Surefire 640DF, with the PLHv 2 heads being magnitudes of power (in useable lumens and candela) above the PLHv1 and every Surefire Scout series light that I've ever used, period. The PLHv2 eclipses the PLHv1 in output by a noticeable margin, which is impressive to say the least. Output is a double-edged sword, however, as face and eyeball melting output can also affect you. Anecdotally, I actually like the Streamlight's output, and find it is reasonable and adequate for illumination indoors. Again, @JC0352's questions should really drive your light selection. If you're looking at a beam that really does reach out in distance, the Modlite OKW head performs this extremely well. I haven't had the opportunity to compare an OKW to the Cloud Defensive OWL side by side, but the OKW has noticeably more "reach" than Surefire heads, Streamlight heads, and the PLHv1 and PLHv2, if being able to ID targets is of interest to you.

The Cloud Defensive OWL is probably my favorite light in terms of output and beam profile - it's just awesome - if the REIN is anything like the OWL concerning the actual performance of the light and beam profile, then it's worth saving up for and holding out to upgrade. Is it expensive? Definitely, but I view a good light as critically important on any rifle. You cannot positively identify what you cannot adequately see, period.

Another option is to purchase components for these lights on the secondhand market, which shouldn't be extremely difficult. Do keep in mind that if you're looking for an option that gives you access to an extended mount, a pressure switch/mount, and a tailcap, this is going to add up in price very quickly. That little illumination device and a way to activate it hanging off of your rifle will, depending on the components, cost you north of $400. In this way, the Streamlight Protac packages are actually pretty great, in that you get a useable light, pressure pad, and mount for under $200. For comparison, you'll spend $108 on a Surefire ST07 tape switch and UE07 tailcap alone if purchased separately new.

Notice that I didn't really mention Surefire? There's a reason for that: I used to own a number of Scout series lights from them, and, while they have a great brand and perform really well, for the price point, they kind of come off as a lackluster option by comparison to some of the other options on the market for my purposes. That doesn't mean that they are bad lights by any means, and herein lies an opportunity: Surefire Scout series lights will be on the secondhand market for pretty reasonable prices, which is a great thing if you like Surefire as a brand and trust them. Also, all Surefire Scout series tailcaps, pressure pads, and most of the aftermarket mounts for Scout lights are compatible with the Arisaka and Modlite 600 series and 300 series bodies; In other words, you are already buying components (outside of the light body and head, generally speaking) of a future, more powerful light if you want it, and those components will likely retain their value and relevancy on the secondhand market if you want to sell them.

Hope that this helps your decision, and good luck!

Last edited:
    Reactions: ddavis