• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“These are the times that try men’s souls” Merry Christmas

Fig

Tenor in the howler choir
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2018
The Most Dangerous City in the USA
1703341957307.png

Thomas Paine wrote these famous words in his pamphlet The American Crisis, dated December 23, 1776, a time when Patriot forces stood on the verge of losing the Revolutionary War. Paine implored Americans to not give up the fight. George Washington ordered that the pamphlet be read aloud to his troops on Christmas Eve 1776 before they crossed the Delaware River to launch a surprise attack at Trenton.

indent-spacer.gif
These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. Yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: ’tis dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods, and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated. . . .

Let it be told to the future world, that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive, the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet it and to repulse it. . . . I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ’Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.

View attachment 8303893

Thomas Paine wrote these famous words in his pamphlet The American Crisis, dated December 23, 1776, a time when Patriot forces stood on the verge of losing the Revolutionary War. Paine implored Americans to not give up the fight. George Washington ordered that the pamphlet be read aloud to his troops on Christmas Eve 1776 before they crossed the Delaware River to launch a surprise attack at Trenton.

indent-spacer.gif
These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. Yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: ’tis dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods, and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated. . . .

Let it be told to the future world, that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive, the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet it and to repulse it. . . . I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ’Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.
Nice, Fig :)

Thank You and Merry Christmas !

Well said @Fig.

More to the point, thank you for the poignant (and timely) reminder of our shared heritage here in America. Took us a while to get there, but we all owe a debt to those men who set up a system where primacy of the individual over government is possible (was possible?), regardless of race, creed, color, or religion. And regardless of when we got here. My family didn’t get here until the late 1800s, but were looking for a better life for their progeny.

It’s up to us to do our part to keep it.

Merry Christmas all!

Also,

It’s not going to fix itself.

“All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it be finished in the first one thousand days . . .nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin.” John F. Kennedy.
Sadly its only gotten worse.

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly.

most people today paid nothing for the rights and freedoms they enjoy (and now take for granted).

merry christmas!

We still have men on the wall, as it were. I am reminded of my friend from years ago, Ken. He was a sgt. in the Army and he was in the Honor Guard during the Reagan admin. He has stood at the WH, a few feet from Pres. Reagan.

He has stood guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

One year, there was a hurricane buzzing up the eastern seaboard. The Honor Guard soldiers assigned that duty were advised that they did not have to walk the post during the heaviest of rains and conditions.

Not a single one abandoned post. Not one, not ever. They walk the post for those who are gone and no longer walk the Earth.

As long as we have that fire in our belly, we are not without hope.

We still have men on the wall, as it were. I am reminded of my friend from years ago, Ken. He was a sgt. in the Army and he was in the Honor Guard during the Reagan admin. He has stood at the WH, a few feet from Pres. Reagan.

He has stood guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

One year, there was a hurricane buzzing up the eastern seaboard. The Honor Guard soldiers assigned that duty were advised that they did not have to walk the post during the heaviest of rains and conditions.

Not a single one abandoned post. Not one, not ever. They walk the post for those who are gone and no longer walk the Earth.

As long as we have that fire in our belly, we are not without hope.
I remember that.

for any who have not visited Arlington National Cemetery, its not to be missed. But be respectful, they will call you out.

Nor is the Viet Nam memorial, It always humbles me.

Merry Christmas To All! A drink to those who can’t enjoy it with family! A toast to those who haven fallen before us! And a bullet to the tyrants who seek to destroy us!

Stay humble, stay morale, God Bless, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Damn Fig,
I needed that this morning. Got kinda dusty in here all of a sudden. Merry Christmas to all you.