• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

06 family issues

outlawkyote

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2020
After 40+years of reloading Ive run into an issue that previously wasnt.
I have had several 2506AI barrels in the past (absolutely love this chambering)
I have had a couple 6.506AI's and am still undecided what I think of it, starting a new one shortly.
I have had several 280AI's that I have had great luck with but as I get older I dont hunt large animals as much and really dont have as much need for that chambering anymore.In fact I was hoping the 6.506AI would fill that position.

To make my brass I usually use an old barrel to blow the shoulders out (in this case Im using an old 6.506AI barrel). Once formed with a max load of powder behind an appropriate bullet I can neck up or down to my desire. I have been using 270brass from different makers trying to find the best brass that will have a long life. The only brass I havent used is Lapua for reasons we will get into after I explain my problem.

My problem.......
Since my experience is greatest with the 2506AI and have been using it for 25+years, I would like to use that cartridge as my exibit cartridge.
During the last many years of using this cartridge I have had most of them show a preference for a specific load that is at the top of the spectrum for velocity 60gr R22 and a 100gr bullet, usually operates at about 3550fps depending on barrel length and quality. however, starting several years ago Ive noticed that my brass is going [beeep]-up prematurely. I used to get split necks before loose primers but now Im only getting three loads from my brass before having to toss them.
Its usual that when I chamber a new barrel (in the 06 family) I will in turn build new brass for that barrel. The 2506AI for example used to last about as long a 100 pieces of brass loaded 10+ times. Now my brass only lasts 3 loadings.
My buddy is running a 270 win strait and usually only uses it for hunting thus has brass purchased many years ago so I asked him for a piece to do some comparisons to. To my surprise, his old brass measured .468 at the web base junction. (just above the extractor groove).
In the last years I have purchased several makers brass including PPU Winchester, Nosler, Remington, and today my starline brass showed up. All makes of brass are stamped 270win.
Measuring the same location on the brass Im getting reading from .464-.465".
Why has 06 brass gotten so narrow at the base now days? Should I order a new reamer with a base dimension of .468" to help alleviate the loose primer issue?
Anyone who shoots one of these cartridges will tell you that turning necks, deburing flash-holes and trimming to length before fireforming is extensive work and wear and tear just to have brass go south so quickly. Hense the reason I havent been buying Lapua brass just to add expense to the equation also.
As a side note, my22, 6mm, 6.5creed measures .468"
My 22-250 rem measures .468"
My 6mm br measures .470"
my 243 measure .469 and my 308 brass measure .467"
My 6x47L measures .469"
Why is the 06 family measuring .464" when all the chambers mentioned are saami spec'd at .472"?

If someone has lapua brass (probably 3006) can you tell me what it measures?

Like I mentioned, The load is a stout load but its always been safe and never had sticky bolt lift or extractor marks.

Has anyone used 6.5 x 65mm or 6.5 x 64 brenneke brass from rws to form 06 cases? Would this alleviate my problem?