• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 1” Hunting scope for Marlin 336?

gnochi

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
Orange County, CA
I have a 1960s Marlin 336 in 30-30 that currently has a 1960s Weaver 2.75x scope on it - with a wire reticle, terrible glass, and a tendency to fog that’s already lost me a couple deer. Maximum range would be about 150yd, and 50yd is more likely - if I’m doing Canyon overwatch or spot-and-shoot I’ll just use my Precision bolt gun.

Any recommendations for a 1” tube scope with illumination? (1” preferred for general profile, though I have found direct mount rings in 30mm).

I’d prefer something below $1000, but not gonna lie that Blaser 1-7 looks reeeeeally sexy. Speaking of which, Eurooptic lists it with a 1” tube and a 28mm objective; which number is wrong?

Priorities:
  • 1” preferred
  • Illumination very strongly preferred
  • <$1000 preferred but flexible
  • No need to go above 10x zoom
  • 2x or less for the minimum zoom if possible
If nothing else crops up I’ll use my Razor HD LH 2-10 but I would really like the illumination.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I’m running a Burris E1 3-9 with Illuminated/BDC reticle on my 700 AAC SD.
Have been very happy with it

although reliable the glass won’t stack up against a Razor

Reactions: gnochi
Thank you both for the pointers. Also, I somehow missed that Talley does make direct-mount 30mm rings... not sure how those passed me by. Consider the 1” a “preferred” instead of a “very strongly preferred”.

Yes plus one for the leupold

Attachments

• ED747FC6-089E-436C-9DCF-5A85D2A8D02A.jpeg
    ED747FC6-089E-436C-9DCF-5A85D2A8D02A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
You might want to look at other options like a red dot if your hunting in the woods.
I run a red dot on my marlin 35

I snagged a VX-6HD 1-6 with the circle and FireDot off EuroOptic - it’s apparently 13.4oz, too. It’s like 35% off right now.

I agree with looking at a red dot. If you are planning on 50-150yd with a 336 it is hard to beat a micro red dot. I dropped a burris fast fire III on my 336 and have zero regrets. I was having difficulty zeroing a peep sight and and after a couple front sight post changes and still not getting close to a zero I got frustrated and threw the FFIII on there in a little direct mount. Haven't regretted it one damn bit. Makes for a nice brush gun that I can see the sights on quickly in the shade of deep woods or early morning/late evening.

Dont go too small though I had a vortex viper on one of my lever guns and it was hard to find the sight pic and dot quickly.
I actually went to a cheap kinda big red dot and my field of view is much better and it works fine and fast. I put a vx5 on my 280ai
Like it.

Attachments

• 20200624_172756.jpg
    20200624_172756.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 22