• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1-1/2 yr old son throws away Dad's new Kestrel 5700

Pink_Mist

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2011
Wisconsin
My son has been upset every morning when I say good bye. I intended to take my Kestrel to work and fart around with it during lunch on Monday. I was still buzzing on the fun of a new toy. Especially because I shot the previous day and had outstanding results after it was calibrated. On my way out the door my son was fussing so I put my brand new 5700 down on the shoe-bench-coat-rack thing... that I am always smacking my knee into, so I could pick him up and say good bye again. Well it turns out in his own way he was going to punish me for going to work. I started driving away when I realized I had forgotten it, 4 inches away from a pissed off little boy. Later that afternoon my in-laws were at the house making dinner and watching the boys. At some (unnoticed) point, probably right after I left, he must have tossed it in the kitchen garbage. Just like the dozens of times before this when I discover random things which he decided was trash. I usually scold him but this time grandma covered it in trash from cooking. I took the full bag out to the bin right when I got home that evening. It wasn't until after work the next day (Tuesday) that started to look around for it. Then again tonight. Two nights in a row I turned everything upside-down and inside-out. Everything, laundry chute, toy bins couch cushions, the insides of shoes. Unfortunately I cannot say that I checked the trash bags because ironically, everything was picked up that morning from the curbside.

It is gone forever.

God damn it.

Last edited:
Back to Finger in the Wind ........
I have a 3500 which was going to be given away to a friend. There are so many other features on the 5700 which I now have only been teased with. Fricken Applied Ballistics all nice and calibrated. Shinny new. Hmm If I just get drunk and purchase another one online maybe it won't hurt so bad. $400 bucks. . I didn't even want to say it. I guess I will just have to tell my wife that I found it and I am sorry for pointing the finger at Jr.

I have a 3500 which was going to be given away to a friend. There are so many other features on the 5700 which I now have only been teased with. Fricken Applied Ballistics all nice and calibrated. Shinny new. Hmm If I just get drunk and purchase another one online maybe it won't hurt so bad. $400 bucks. . I didn't even want to say it. I guess I will just have to tell my wife that I found it and I am sorry for pointing the finger at Jr.
Where did you find one for $400? I think I payed $699.

I might add that also today at work we discovered that my personal MIG welder was stole the night before during second shift. Like out the door, left one argon tank and took one that was connected. It was an American made Holbart 140 which goes for $790.00 and another 100 for the tank. I think I am being tested.

• Sad
Reactions: Baron23
Many years ago the TV remote vanished. Just like that. My daughters were 6 and 4..... Weeks and weeks went by, no remote...... I randomly looked inside the door slit to the vhs player and there it was.... It's difficult but, it requires thinking...where would a four year stash it......

Many years ago the TV remote vanished. Just like that. My daughters were 6 and 4..... Weeks and weeks went by, no remote...... I randomly looked inside the door slit to the vhs player and there it was.... It's difficult but, it requires thinking...where would a four year stash it......
I thought that for a minute maybe one day, long after I buy another one of course, that it will turn up in some random place. He was standing in a area where he could literally had one hand on the garbage can and the other touching the bench were the thing was sitting. A week ago mom's iphone and some dinosaurs were sitting on top of some coffee grounds. This is his thing.

Reactions: FWoo45
My grandson(2.5) has sticky fingers and loves his Papa's stuff. And I mean everything that belongs to me belongs to him. Trucks, rifles, flashlights you name it. My shit goes missing all of the time, but he eventually brings out the odds and ends stuff now and then. My wife will tear the house apart looking for my stuff, and his little hands just have his own little hiding spot.
His mother was the same damn way, she used to steal my truck keys so I couldn't go to work....
LOL.... good luck.

Never lost anything too important when ours were little, but we did watch well what went to the curb. The kitchen garbage can had a closing lid, always closed.

Things have turned up much later too.

I might add that also today at work we discovered that my personal MIG welder was stole the night before during second shift. Like out the door, left one argon tank and took one that was connected. It was an American made Holbart 140 which goes for $790.00 and another 100 for the tank. I think I am being tested.
So sorry to hear about your kestrel. Losing the welder sucks too but gives you the opportunity to buy a Miller. New to the kestrel game but I bleed Miller (and Dillon) blue. Tried Lincoln and Hobart, hard pass unless a screaming deal used. Even then only for loaning out so my Miller stays at home.

My son has been upset every morning when I say good bye. I intended to take my Kestrel to work and fart around with it during lunch on Monday. I was still buzzing on the fun of a new toy. Especially because I shot the previous day and had outstanding results after it was calibrated. On my way out the door my son was fussing so I put my brand new 5700 down on the shoe-bench-coat-rack thing... that I am always smacking my knee into, so I could pick him up and say good bye again. Well it turns out in his own way he was going to punish me for going to work. I started driving away when I realized I had forgotten it, 4 inches away from a pissed off little boy. Later that afternoon my in-laws were at the house making dinner and watching the boys. At some (unnoticed) point, probably right after I left, he must have tossed it in the kitchen garbage. Just like the dozens of times before this when I discover random things which he decided was trash. I usually scold him but this time grandma covered it in trash from cooking. I took the full bag out to the bin right when I got home that evening. It wasn't until after work the next day (Tuesday) that started to look around for it. Then again tonight. Two nights in a row I turned everything upside-down and inside-out. Everything, laundry chute, toy bins couch cushions, the insides of shoes. Unfortunately I cannot say that I checked the trash bags because ironically, everything was picked up that morning from the curbside.

It is gone forever.

God damn it.

That kid better be worth it. ;)

Reactions: Pink_Mist
If ya want a ruger branded one they gave me 20% off my next purchase when i bought my rpr. I dont use a kestrel and havent even emailed for the discount code. If ya want ill email for it and you can have the code.
16257435491172300921801411637404.jpg

My backside knew better than to do stuff like that.

Reactions: Slash0311
When I was 1, I didn't even put trash in the garbage can. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was at the range one day, finalizing load development on a new 223 barrel, and getting some chrono numbers. When I was almost done, the bolt handle breaks off my rifle. When putting everything back in my pick up, I must have put my Magneeto speed on the roof. There is a little S curve in the road, after you leave the parking area for the range. It slid off right there. Over the next couple months, I probably drove by it 15 times, always thinking. What asshole threw out his new pistol box, I should remember to stop and take it to the trash next time. Finally when I could not find my chrono I put the whole thing together. By that time it was gone already.

I spent the entire time thinking my chrono was on top of the safe.

If ya want a ruger branded one they gave me 20% off my next purchase when i bought my rpr. I dont use a kestrel and havent even emailed for the discount code. If ya want ill email for it and you can have the code.
View attachment 7663947
I truly appreciate the offer. I am sure someone here will nab that up. - I am posting an update now :)

*** UPDATE ***

Last night when my wife got home we discussed what happened. She said that Emmitt had been putting cat food in her purse before they left the house Monday morning. She said maybe she should get it all out now that she had an opportunity. The Kestrel was in the mix! LESSON LEARNED!

So sorry to hear about your kestrel. Losing the welder sucks too but gives you the opportunity to buy a Miller. New to the kestrel game but I bleed Miller (and Dillon) blue. Tried Lincoln and Hobart, hard pass unless a screaming deal used. Even then only for loaning out so my Miller stays at home.
I bought the Holbart with the Miller components. This was their american made model which is $300 more than the china made model. It had the Miller wand. I have a miller TIG. I use the MIG very little. Work will replace it but only for the same exact model. I am thankful that they are going to take care of it so I don't want to press my luck and upgrade. Its going on my company credit card. I think if I just order it and put it behind me it would be best. You are right, millers are nicer hence the choice I made with the TIG.

*** UPDATE ***

Last night when my wife got home we discussed what happened. She said that Emmitt had been putting cat food in her purse before they left the house Monday morning. She said maybe she should get it all out now that she had an opportunity. The Kestrel was in the mix! LESSON LEARNED!

I just love..................................................happy endings.

Cool story. It's infuriating, but precious. It's things like this that will give you memories of his personality at that age.

Where did you find one for $400? I think I payed $699.
That is list price for that particular model

That is list price for that particular model

That version does not have applied ballistics software.

Reactions: bunny too
Wait until you discover half a peanut butter sandwich in there, or a roll of quarters!

It may be inconvenient, but I would place the trash can in a higher location.
The lid will require a latch of some sort. Heights have not prevented his adventures. He stacks toys by windows so he can climb up and stand on the sill like a mountain goat. Closed window, ground floor. Still he gets told Get down. It's to the point where he randomly will yell "Emmitt get down!"

The lid will require a latch of some sort. Heights have not prevented his adventures. He stacks toys by windows so he can climb up and stand on the sill like a mountain goat. Closed window, ground floor. Still he gets told Get down. It's to the point where he randomly will yell "Emmitt get down!"

I know what you mean Pink. I had one of those little monsters at one time, he will be 13yo this month. When he was about the same age as yours he put a computer speaker on the computer desk chair and took a shit on it.

I know what you mean Pink. I had one of those little monsters at one time, he will be 13yo this month. When he was about the same age as yours he put a computer speaker on the computer desk chair and took a shit on it.
Lol I caught a turd mid drop on its way into the bath water. . . two occasions now.
Another time he stood up in the bath and proceeded to take a piss on his baby brother.

Reactions: kcbird
That is OK if you were listening to rap.

That is OK if you were listening to rap.
I left him in the living room to go get a diaper to put on him. He was in the terrible 2 stage for about 8 years.

He is a stand up little man now.

Reactions: Jscb1b