• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s 1/10 Scale Saturn V launch....

Re: 1/10 Scale Saturn V launch....

Sirhr, I'm not sure but there was traffic on the far road. If there was some sort of clearance, you would think they would have stopped traffic and the spectators seemed to close. Or maybe the propellant was not as dangerous as it appeared????? On second look....F that!
Chris

This one is far more interesting, 100,000+ feet with on board video. I saw this one on the Blaze a few days ago.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XaI0n521C7E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XaI0n521C7E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I would imagine there are specific FAA rules and guidelines when launching rockets. Maybe requesting that the FAA create and post a TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) in the NOTAM's (Notice to Airmen)? Just a guess.

Otherwise, file a flight plan and tell them that the heading for the flight is "Up"...

No dice in the FAR/AIM, I can't see filing a flight plan though. Would be funny to see the reaction though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one is far more interesting, 100,000+ feet with on board video. I saw this one on the Blaze a few days ago.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XaI0n521C7E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XaI0n521C7E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Nice find, High. Id guess that both of these, surely the second one, were solid fuel, like zinc and sulfur. Much easier to build but once you light it theres no controll and no turning it off. Imagine the G force youd endure on the end of that candle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cstmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are hi power rocket clubs all over the nation. When they hold an event FAA paperwork is filed for clearance to specific altitudes or there max alt. they plan on reaching. I don't know the whole drill, just that they do let the aviation folks know what is going on. Depending clearance can be denied.

Nice Saturn V but it was a low launch .. I've seen smaller rockets that hit about 20K.

So you think you do long range shooting? You think that is expensive?
Some of these guys spend 10's of thousands on there "toy" rockets. Amateurs have launched video cameras and payloads 50 to 75 miles up.

Makes me feel like my 338LM is a spitball gun. </div></div>

All very true, you need to be licensed with either Tripoli or NAR to launch anything over a class "g" motor. Anything that big and you are in to serious cash. Smaller launches can cost hundred of dollars each time with the bigger launch capable of costing thousands. Those rockets have altimeters and backup altimeters, gps locators etc. if you lose the rocket it hurts.

When you where a kid and launched rockets the biggest motor you used was more than likely a "c" motor, people are using up to "p" these days. A lot bigger and a lot more fun too, but it cost a lot more too. If you want to see more check out LDRS (Large Dangerous Rocket Ships)

I've been following High Power rocketry for a few years, never got into it (Yet) - maybe when I get to Texas where there will be less tress LOL

You license per engine, and per altitude.

But that was a PHENOMENAL rocket launch, best High Power i've seen yet!!

I used to have a friend with whom I've helped build "H" motors, as well as made him some mold parts for 'N' size motors. Another venture that was taken was into re-useable Liquid-Fuel engines.

That was both fun and interesting. High aspirations, for sure. (pun intended)

this is cool, too.

He or she carries a level 3 liscense. I only have a level 1 to buy my loads.