• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1/2 MOA adjustment

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
My IOR 2.5x10x42MM and Leupold AR scopes have this 1/2 MOA adjustment. Why ? Why not 1/4 like most scopes ?

Re: 1/2 MOA adjustment

Why not 1/2 moa. You can hit any target with a 1/2 moa scope. Hold or favor and you are there instead of chasing a 1/4moa.If you are wanting to shoot dimes at 1000 then,well good luck.

That's not a bad thing for a tac rifle or AR. If you have 30 moa in one revolution that will cover a lot of ground.

With 1/2 moa clicks the most you will be off your aiming point is 1/4 moa.

When switching to different ranges quickly 1/4 MOA clicks seem like forever, but it is nice for target hole punching.

I shoot a lot of ground hogs and deer heads and 1/4 moa seems nice to me. YMMV

I actually really like the 1/2 MOA adjustments for anything short of a true target gun, maybe a dedicated long range varmint rig as well. I'd actually like to see some 0.2 mil adjustment scopes hit the market. I've always thought 1/2 MOA adjustments would be perfect for a hunting rig.

With 1/2 MOA clicks even at 500 yards the most you are off your aiming point is what +/- ~2.6 inches that's not much. Most AR's won't shoot 5" groups at 500 yards anyway.

Essentially you are trading some precision of the scope for speed and ease of adjustments. Most 1/2 MOA scopes can get you to 600-800 yards in a single revolution. 1/4 MOA scopes are going to need multiple revolutions and take longer to adjust.