• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1 3/4” shells in 870?

Just out of curiosity why ?
I have cases of 2-3/4 and can't think of a reason for anything shorter or lighter.
Not trying to be an ass just curious as to why.

Just out of curiosity why ?
I have cases of 2-3/4 and can't think of a reason for anything shorter or lighter.
Not trying to be an ass just curious as to why.
Personally I run them for home defense. Three extra rounds in the stock tube, upgrade to #4 shot for heavy winter clothing penetration, very little chance of overpenetration into another room.

Reactions: Snuby642
Personally I run them for home defense. Three extra rounds in the stock tube, upgrade to #4 shot for heavy winter clothing penetration, very little chance of overpenetration into another room.

Fair enough I just wasn't sure what was the viable reason for the them.
I keep my 590A1 next to my bed but the first two rounds in it are 3" 000 buck and the following six are 1oz segmented slugs.
I don't really have anything I consider less leathal than cut your ass in half if you violate the sanctity of my home.
But of course there is the German Sheppard and 95 pound Catahoula that will be fucking you up long before I even know your there in the middle of the night.
Gotta love dogs.

Before shortys, I used to run a #6 pheasant load as my first round before the triple-ought.
A long time ago (like '92, '93), I did an experiment. Made some 2x4 wall sections with 1/2" drywall on both sides and shot at them at 10' with different loads. 1 1/8oz #6 over 20gr Red Dot was the most I could do without completely penetrating the wall and embedding into a styrofoam panel 1' behind it. #4 had similar penetration with only ~17gr (IIRC), but very little spread.

Before shortys, the rationale was if I were caught with my pants (mostly) down, I could get off a shot quickly to fix the target without needing to consider the consequences of sending some pellets wide. Triple-ought to finish the job.
But then I got thinking about the potential of multiple aggressors, the effects of winter clothing, and the inability of the wife or my 13yo to handle a very heavy round. Shorty #4s and shorty double-ought give that great one-shot stop potential; lower recoil and higher capacity means I can hand off the shotgun while I change to something that uh.. "requires more CQB training" to clear the rest of the property.

I have fed them into these two 870 working guns; a Safety Harbor 7" and 14" Wilson Combat, without any problems.
I don't retain them in the sidesaddle as there is nothing left to grab; the Asgaard forward shell retainer mount I have on a number of SBS's for easy availability of first round chambered preference.

One more reason to use them: left the 14" Mossberg 590 .410 at the house.
IMG_6042.jpg
IMG_6043.jpg
IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_5261 copy 2.jpg

IMG_5267 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: geek65
i work in corrections, and we use 870s. Thr 1 3/4 feed fine in ours as one of our less lethal munitions.

I know Mossberg makes an insert for their 590 to allow 1 3/4” mini to feed. Anyone tried the mini shells in an 870?

OFG

I'm running them in my Mossberg 500 just fine. I have found that if you delay your cycling at all, they do have a chance of rolling around a bit, but the only way I found that out was when I was just playing around at the range. Normally when I shoot pumps, or train with them, I pump as soon as I yank the trigger, and cycle the gun as fast as possible. I've had no issues doing it that way.

I think I can fit like 8 or 9 in my Mossberg (+1).

Fair enough I just wasn't sure what was the viable reason for the them.
I keep my 590A1 next to my bed but the first two rounds in it are 3" 000 buck and the following six are 1oz segmented slugs.

Besides increased recoil, excessive noise, and reduced capacity, I'm curious what the point is to 3" 000 in a HD situation?

The 1 3/4" shells are #1 and #4 mix running at 1200fps. Those are 5/8oz loads, so thats 273gr worth of lead moving at 1200fps.

Reactions: XLR308
I'm running them in my Mossberg 500 just fine. I have found that if you delay your cycling at all, they do have a chance of rolling around a bit, but the only way I found that out was when I was just playing around at the range. Normally when I shoot pumps, or train with them, I pump as soon as I yank the trigger, and cycle the gun as fast as possible. I've had no issues doing it that way.

I think I can fit like 8 or 9 in my Mossberg (+1).

Besides increased recoil, excessive noise, and reduced capacity, I'm curious what the point is to 3" 000 in a HD situation?

The 1 3/4" shells are #1 and #4 mix running at 1200fps. Those are 5/8oz loads, so thats 273gr worth of lead moving at 1200fps.

They pattern best out of my shotgun and I bought a case of them.
The Winchester mil grade in the plain brown box have the widest pattern and surprisingly the Spartan 00 buck was second best and they are cheap.
I primarily shoot slugs out of it but buckshot is fun and extremely effective.
I could also be a glutton for punishment.

Reactions: Gustav7
My son runs the the shorties in his 870 just fine, no mods.

I think the 3 inch 00 aren't going out of fashion, just a different tool.