• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 1/3 moa clicks?

Re: 1/3 moa clicks?

Mil based scopes are almost 1/3 MOA at .34 per click. Why do you need 1/3 MOA?

No one I know of, other than what Rob said.

There was talk of asking U.S. Optics to do 1/3 adjustments.....but this had alot to do with their EREK knob having 90 detent positions. This would yield an even 30 MOA per rev instead of the current 22.5 MOA per rev.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mil based scopes are almost 1/3 MOA at .34 per click. Why do you need 1/3 MOA?</div></div>

I think a 1/3MOA scope could make a lot of sense. Sure it's CLOSE to the same as a 0.1Mrad scope but that's not the point. People don't choose MOA or Mrad based on wanting 0.36 IPHY, they do it for a bunch of other (mostly arbitrary) reasons. But, if you ARE going to choose MOA then 1/3 would give you:

1) A perfectly proportioned EREK knob (as Raf said)
2) Subtending on MOA that was practical. 1/2 MOA accuracy has too great a range of error and 1/4 MOA is difficult at best with less than 15x. Subtending to thirds could pretty easily be done with only 1 MOA has marks.
3) Relatively easy translation/inter-operation with Mil based data. For instance if a spotter calls out a 0.7 Mil correction you know that it's just 7 clicks.

Personally I prefer Mil/Mil but if I were to go back to MOA then 1/3 IPHY clicks would be VERY attractive to me for these reasons.

well i was watching john burns shoot his 7mm rem mag with custom leupold with 1/3 moa clicks
and it makes sence.
i have scopes with 1/8 and 1/4 moa clicks
and it takes more than one revolution to get past 500 yards
so if i had a scope with 1/3 moa clicks it would be better
you get more elevation with less clicks
smile.gif

i hope this explains it a little more
i found a nightforce with 1/3 moa clicks not sure what model but they had one

Not sure of any NF scope that is in 1/3 MOA. Either 1/4 or 1 MOA or .1 mil.

Try some decaf Rat. Wasn't coming down on the guy. Just asking why and using the example that .1 mil is .34 MOA or .36 IPHY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Try some decaf Rat. Wasn't coming down on the guy. Just asking why and using the example that .1 mil is .34 MOA or .36 IPHY. </div></div>

I need to start typing in blue whenever I'm not being sardonic so that people can tell. Wouldn't have to use it much, but every now and then I really am just carrying on a normal conversation. You asked why, after all.
wink.gif

ETA: Do they not seem like good reasons?
ETA (again): Though granted nothing says you couldn't subtend to 1/3MOA with your 1/2 or 1/4 MOA turrets either...
ETA (yet again): And yes I realize that you'd be 10% off with the whole "0.7 Mrad = 7 clicks" idea, but hopefully you didn't miss by 8 Mrad so it wouldn't really be an issue as a practical matter in calling corrections.

John Burns sells that scope. It has an MOA reticle and 1/3 MOA elevation turrets. You can only get it from him. It is a Leupold VX III i believe 4.5-14x. My friend has one and likes it. I think i would prefer converting to MIL over 1/3moa. My friend likes it because it gives more MOA per revolution for LR hunting.

just get a uso with 1/2moa erek then you will get 45moa in one revolution that should get you past 500 pretty easy.

I know it's an old post but just came across the Zeiss Victory Diavari with 1/3 moa. I thought it was strange, but then I found this thread.

If i remember correctly i think huskemaw had 1/3 moa clicks on their scopes??? Actually now i think about it i am certain it was a huskemaw scope.

At least when dialing a modest amount (say, less than 15 MOA) for all "tactical" purposes the 0.1 mil clicks can be taken as 1/3 MOA, and the 0.5 MOA clicks as 0.15 mil...
wink.gif

I think acogs are 1/3 moa but of course you mostly never use it after initial zero

Look for a scope with .1 mrad (.36 ) will be close to a 1/3 MOA (.333)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T695</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Look for a scope with .1 mrad (.36 ) will be close to a 1/3 MOA (.333)</span> </div></div>

0.1 mil = 0.36" at 100 yds

1 MOA = 1.047" at 100 yds

0.1 mil = 0.344 MOA

only a 3.1% error, or a +0.47 MOA error when you dial "15 MOA" by clicking up 45 0.1 mil clicks.