• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1,300HP Mercury Comet crashes due to owner stupidity

"OH no, brakes are out!! .....That's okay, we can drive around using the emergency brake...OH NO!! Emergency brake is out!!! *smash*"

Probably how it would have went down.
Maybe. But they are two completely separate systems. Two failures is highly unlikely, and watching the video he didn’t seem to try.

Just want to say... Brakes are kinda important and seems to be a seriously overlooked component of a hot rod. I see a lot of cars who spend tens of thousands of dollars on engines turbos and transmissions basically stock brakes.

Maybe. But they are two completely separate systems. Two failures is highly unlikely, and watching the video he didn’t seem to try.

Just want to say... Brakes are kinda important and seems to be a seriously overlooked component of a hot rod. I see a lot of cars who spend tens of thousands of dollars on engines turbos and transmissions basically stock brakes.

I was joking based on the drivers actions. The brakes failed because he was riding them the entire time they test drove. The cars idle combined with power output was making them go too fast on the street, so the driver stayed on the brakes the whole time. They did a simulated descent down a steep incline road while riding the brakes. They overheated and failed combined with a sticky throttle on a 1300hp engine.

Based on his response to everything so far, if he had backup brakes, he probably would have kept going while riding those too.

Reactions: GreenGO Juan
For how much time and money he had in that build, a pimp daddy front 6 piston 4 rear, and new throttle cables would have been a rounding error, like a good bit less than the paint job.

Lots of work to be that short sighted

For how much time and money he had in that build, a pimp daddy front 6 piston 4 rear, and new throttle cables would have been a rounding error, like a good bit less than the paint job.

Lots of work to be that short sighted
E6530426-5428-4C61-AD36-E9769E3D047C.jpeg
6AA8E1EF-AB24-4508-BB30-BA61D36F6900.jpeg

40 yrs ago I had a brake failure at 120 mph at the dragstrip.

Your brain goes through about a million calculations as you roll along at that speed wondering WTF to do. I matted the brake pedal a few times, with no results. I put my ride into reverse and matted the throttle. That appeared to slow it down by about a tenth of a mph... as I flew off the end of the track doing a burnout in reverse.... through a barbed wire fence, across a graded road with good sized berms, then out into the desert - where I managed to hit every scrub brush, rock, or stick known to man. No minivans available to destroy.

The car had passed tech because the failure of the line-lock unit was a single event. No leak of brake fluid before it broke. When it failed there was no brake fluid pressure to the front brakes. Every time I hit the brake pedal thinking the brakes weren’t working at all - it locked the rear tires up. I couldn’t tell it because that won’t stop a car from speed at all. Neither does spinning the tires in reverse. LOL.

While the car got torn up, I was lucky in the fact that there was nobody else involved, the car didn’t tip over or find anything solid to hit, and the fact that I probably did scrub off some speed in the very long shutdown area before going exploring off road. It just didn’t seem like it at the time.

“Wheee doggie, we’re having some fast fun now!”

• Wow
Reactions: Jgunner
Depends on the weight distribution.

I have boiled brake fluid from repeated high speed stops and had the pedal go to the floor. This was after about 10 minutes of hard driving multiple 150+ mph stops.
Threw the car into second gear at around 90 and the tach pegged, I grabbed a hand full of emergency brake. Was data logging at the time and engine was just shy of 12,000rpm(rotary), rev limiter was est at 8200.... When I finally got stopped the rotors were glowing red and smoking.

Let it cool down drove home and my next move was EBC Yellow Stuff pads and Dot 4 Racing fluid. Never ran into fade like that again. Lucky to have some room to slow if not it would have been a bad night!

Reactions: MadDuner
Even a coked out wise guy knows you need an emergency brake.