• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes 1/4" moa vs. 1/8" moa turrets

seacowboy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
Fairfax, VA
Just got a 700 VTR in 22-250 for varmint hunting and wanted to get a set of high turrets for my Nikon Monarch but wasn't sure which size to get. I know the 1/8" moa turrets will give finer adjustments, wanted to hear opinions on which size to go with. Thanks.

Re: 1/4" moa vs. 1/8" moa turrets

Don't bother with 1/8. 1/4 is the finest adjustment you will need unless your doing benchrest stuff and even than I doubt you will be doing BR with a 22-250.

GG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/4 MOA is fine enough</div></div>

Beat me too it.

check your scope....my nikon had 1/8" clicks and not MOA, even though the manual stated MOA but the turret said 1/8"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seacowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got a 700 VTR in 22-250 for varmint hunting and wanted to get a set of high turrets for my Nikon Monarch but wasn't sure which size to get. I know the 1/8" moa turrets will give finer adjustments, wanted to hear opinions on which size to go with. Thanks.</div></div>

The finer graduation will be a benefit if you can keep up with counting clicks. For example, a .308 175 grain SMK driven at 2650, and, initialy zeroed for 100 yards, would need about 18 1/4 minute clicks to put a bullet right in the X at 297 yards. With 19 clicks, the bullet would be right-in-there at 315 yards. Thing is, lets say the target is at 300 yards, with 18, or 19 clicks, you'll be somewhat high or low. Using an 1/8th MOA graduated scope you could get a shot closer to where you want it to be. Of course, this precision is moot for most needs, nevertheless, if putting them right-in-there, or where aimed is what it's all about then do what you need to do.

Sterling Shooter explained it well. I've owned 1/8 MOA turrets and have decided that they're much more applicable to the BR game than the practical, tactical or hunting game.

You're not going to want to deal with twice as many clicks when varmint hunting. Range estimation is going to lead to WAAAY more error than being .125 moa high, low, left, or right.

Another thing to consider is the rifle and shooter shooting in a field situation. Is your rifle accurate enough for 1/8 moa adjustmets. The other factor is how well can you hold under field conditions. I know that I can't hold 1/8 moa under field conditions. Anyway, have fun knocking the varmints over.

My scope has 1/4" adjustments.

I've got it dialed at 100 yds to shooting quarters off the bipod, if it was on a bench I think I could manage better. I also got first blood tonight with the new outfit on a baby ground hog, but only saw deer the rest of my sit. Tomorrow we will be at first thing and do some yore calling as well, since I just checked game cams and have some pics of them wandering.