• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1-8x LPVO for 14.5” 5.56

I know this is a bit older topic but I do have a question.

The pictures of the 1-8 Mil VCOG turrets do not show any hashes, numbers, etc. like a normal turret has (reference the PST gen2). Are you dialing without reference numbers or what?
That’s correct. However, the turrets are definitely more for zeroing purposes than for dialing individual shots. This is a zero and forget it type of optic and you’ll use the reticle for holds instead of dialing. You can feel and hear the clicks, but there are no hash marks or numbers.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Still really loving the VCOG.
503C8A7A-9B3C-4E01-824A-4C4661DA41F4.jpeg

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
@Dreamscape

1-8 VCOG vs. NF ATACR?

I went with a TA31F ACOG/509T combo instead of an LPVO and am throughly enjoying it. Still very interested in the VCOC with the tree style reticle.

Allow me to demonstrate.
Imagine the paper towel roll is black. Imagine some etched lines.
Voilà!
View attachment 7911007

I’m interested in what other LPVOs you’ve used that give you this impression of the VCOG. I’ll admit that I haven’t used a ton of different LPVOs, but between the Nightforce ATACR, EOTech Vudu, and several different Primary Arms offerings, I’m not drawing the same conclusion.

It's not an expensive LPVO and the glass is far from top-tier, but for the $299 I paid (shipped with a free $100 CM-202 mount), I've been pretty impressed with my Vortex Strike Eagle Gen2 1-8x24 SFP over the last 1.5 years. So much so, I'm very interested in getting one of the new FFP versions to try out. Only gripe is, I wish they offered them in MIL/MIL with exposed pop-up locking target turrets with the RevStop ZS.

I’m interested in what other LPVOs you’ve used that give you this impression of the VCOG. I’ll admit that I haven’t used a ton of different LPVOs, but between the Nightforce ATACR, EOTech Vudu, and several different Primary Arms offerings, I’m not drawing the same conclusion.
Razor G2 and G3, EOTech Vudu 1-6x, Swarovski K6i, Kahles K16i, Trijicon Accupower 4x/6x/8x, Steiner P4xi, NF NX8 and ATSCR, PA Platinum 1-8x, VCOG, Burris XTR2 5x and 8x, some random Leupolds, Cmore C3, Viper PST gen 1 and 2, Bushnell SMRS and SMRS II, and the whole gamut of sub $500 Primary Arms, Athlon, Strike Eagles, Burris', Bushnells etc.
The VCOG, NX8 and ATACR are are almost in their own category of unpleasant and unintuitive to get behind with terrible 1x performance, with the Bushnells trying hard to be as bad. Even a $350 Burris RT6 is easier to use. Razor G2 is the best. Cmore C3 is right behind it. P4xi and Viper G2 are great in that price range.

A couple weeks ago at a match a Trijicon sponsored shooter offered to let me shoot a few of his rifles. With a 8x Accupower and the 8x VCOG side by side it was very hard for him to say anything good about the VCOG. Good glass is what he came up with. I prodded him for more thoughts on his VCOG experience and it pretty much ended the conversation.

Last edited:
Allow me to demonstrate.
Imagine the paper towel roll is black. Imagine some etched lines.
Voilà!
View attachment 7911007
Lmao. If you hate large scope bodies do yourself a favor and never look through an Elcan. All lpvos even including the nx8 look super clean in comparison. This is pretty accurate to how it looks in real life

Attachments

• 10B184DA-9CE7-48B7-9B9E-8D49542CFB33.jpeg
    10B184DA-9CE7-48B7-9B9E-8D49542CFB33.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Razor G2 and G3, EOTech Vudu 1-6x, Swarovski K6i, Kahles K16i, Trijicon Accupower 4x/6x/8x, Steiner P4xi, NF NX8 and ATSCR, PA Platinum 1-8x, VCOG, Burris XTR2 5x and 8x, some random Leupolds, Cmore C3, Viper PST gen 1 and 2, Bushnell SMRS and SMRS II, and the whole gamut of sub $500 Primary Arms, Athlon, Strike Eagles, Burris', Bushnells etc.
The VCOG, NX8 and ATACR are are almost in their own category of unpleasant and unintuitive to get behind with terrible 1x performance, with the Bushnells trying hard to be as bad. Even a $350 Burris RT6 is easier to use. Razor G2 is the best. Cmore C3 is right behind it. P4xi and Viper G2 are great in that price range.

A couple weeks ago at a match a Trijicon sponsored shooter offered to let me shoot a few of his rifles. With a 8x Accupower and the 8x VCOG side by side it was very hard for him to say anything good about the VCOG. Good glass is what he came up with. I prodded him for more thoughts on his VCOG experience and it pretty much ended the conversation.

This is the crazy world of optics. Admittedly, I haven’t used as many LPVOs as you have, but I certainly haven’t found cause to call the VCOG or ATACR unpleasant or unintuitive. In fact I love shooting with both. I may try out a Razor G2 sometime soon though. Lots of folks seem to like those. Is the Razor G3 as awkward to you as many others have said it is? The jist of the complaints with that one seems to be that Vortex tried to make it good at too many things and it ended up being good at nothing.

This is the crazy world of optics. Admittedly, I haven’t used as many LPVOs as you have, but I certainly haven’t found cause to call the VCOG or ATACR unpleasant or unintuitive. In fact I love shooting with both. I may try out a Razor G2 sometime soon though. Lots of folks seem to like those. Is the Razor G3 as awkward to you as many others have said it is? The jist of the complaints with that one seems to be that Vortex tried to make it good at too many things and it ended up being good at nothing.
To be fair, some of those optics I only have 5 minutes behind. Some of them I've owned for years. Some of them are buddies scopes that I look through once a month.
My biggest complaint with the Razor G3 is that I always adjust the diopter on a LPVO for a flat true 1x image, usually at the expense of perfect clarity at the top end. When the top end is 4x or 6x it's not as big of a deal. When it's 10x it's a big deal. To have all that magnification and not be happy with the top end is disappointing.
I would say that a 1-10x by it's very nature is a compromise and can only ever be a jack of all trades and master of none. I think Vortex did a good job with the balancing act, but other people prioritize things I don't so they may feel differently about it.

@Dreamscape

1-8 VCOG vs. NF ATACR?

I went with a TA31F ACOG/509T combo instead of an LPVO and am throughly enjoying it. Still very interested in the VCOC with the tree style reticle.

VCOG and ATACR are more similar than different in most regards. I will say the NF glass is perhaps slightly clearer if you’re really trying hard to notice it. Eye relief/eye box on the VCOG feels a little bit more forgiving to me. Light transmission is also stronger with the VCOG. Both are 100% solid choices in my experience.

Reactions: PBWalsh