• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1 in 10 twist barrel

Re: 1 in 10 twist barrel

You can but you might not optimise precision with light bullets.

Thanks for all of the information and help. Looking to use them in a SPS Tac rifle. I thought that the 10 twist barrel was the way to go. Now not so sure.
Again thanks.
John

10 twist will work fine and would be my choice. I definitely wouldn't go slower than 11 twist. 10 twist is all I use on my .308s.

As far as the Berger site info keep in mind that they state in each case (weight) 1 in __ or FASTER. They are giving you the minimum for each of their bullet weights, not the optimum.

Again thanks for the help. That is why I'm lurking around here is to soak up all the information that is floating around here.
Just trying to become as informed as possible.

Good point MSG. I don't think a 1 in 10 is bad or not suitable but as the article i posted suggests it might not be "optimal" if you deem the 155 to be light. The article also suggests the '155 Scenar, 155.5 Berger and SMK 2156 will possibly perform better at long ranges in the 1-13" twist.' I suppose it depends to some extent on the range you are aiming to shoot.

Cajun, here is some more info from Berger on recommended twists with a clear pattern in recommended twist in the 308 as you move from 110gr up to 210gr.

http://bergerbullets.com/Quick%20Reference%20Sheets%206-7-10.pdf

Thanks
I will look it over and try to decied if I will stay with the 1 in 10 or look at the heavier bullets

Alternately I have shot 155Scenars, 168smk and 175smk with excellent accuracy from a 1:12 Remington barrel.

Keep in mind, weigh is not the only variable for deciding twist. You need to look at the dimensions of the projectile. Longer bullets like faster twists. The 155 Scenar may be lighter than the 168smk, but it will favor a faster twist since it is almost the same dimensions as the 175gr SMK.

My 1/12 twist shoots the 168/175 great. I have ordered a 1/11.25 twist and can't wait until I get it and see how it shoots. I have always wondered about the 155's and how they will hold up at 1000?

Sierra has two different 155's.
They have the "palma" and #2155.
The Palma has a significantly higher BC.
The 2155 shoots quite well, but i wouldn't entertain any thoughts of 1k with them.
I ordered the wrong ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 10 twist loves 155s. </div></div>
+1. Switched from 175 smks to 155 scenars for everything up to 1000 yards and accuracy has improved for me...

LoneWolfUSMC said:
Alternately I have shot 155Scenars, 168smk and 175smk with excellent accuracy from a 1:12 Remington barrel.

So of these 3 listed which would be your go to bullet for 800-1000 yds in a 1:12 twist? And how do the Amax rate against the smk. Thanks -Brown

The 175s at 2650 fps or the 155s at 2950 will get you real good accuracy up at 1k. Use the 168s for 800 or less.

I have been working with a rifle that has a 1/10 twist. It shoots the 168s pretty well(still playing with charge wt and oal) and the 190s(the reason I had it twisted 1/10) like poop.

Go figure.

I use the 175 smk currently as my "match" bullet.

I don't need to drive it as hard (hot) to get good manners in the wind.

I don't find the 178 Amax to do as well.

168's should be shied away from for 1000 yard competition. They don't have as good a trajectory through the wind and they usually drop sub-sonic before 1K.

As stated by LWUSMC, twist is not a factor of weight so much as it is dependent on the length of the projectile. It just happens that heavier grain bullets of the same caliber tend to be longer therefore most people say a "heavier" bullet needs a faster twist.
Looking at Service Rifle and Palma data, two things come to light - Sierra 168's aren't great past 600yds. and the majority of Palma shooters have barrels in the 12 or 13 twist range. Trying to find a twist that will work well for two projectiles of different length will be a compromise - you may overspin the lighter or not stabilize the heavier, longer bullet. A faster twist will result in loss of accuracy if there are any inconsistencies in the lead core or jacket.
The question isn't will they both shoot well enough to get to 1000 - the question is how well do you want them to shoot out to that distance.

The 1 in 10" barrel is pretty versatile. I went with that on my custom rig and it's been a solid shooter with everything I've fed it from 155 to 178. No regrets whatsoever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sierra has two different 155's.
They have the "palma" and #2155.
The Palma has a significantly higher BC.
The 2155 shoots quite well, but i wouldn't entertain any thoughts of 1k with them.
I ordered the wrong ones. </div></div>
Do you run them Hot or can you get a mid range load to shoot good? Also what powder are you loading on the Palma? I will be shooting mainly out to 600 yds. Sometimes out to 1000 but not much. I have 168 SMK'S and 175 SMK'S loads that shoot pretty good. Thanks