• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

1 of 5 Robert Gradous Rifles

jtom66

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
Lakeland, TN
Just a quick update. The first rifle is finished. I have had many PM's from everyone that has followed the original post in the firearms for sale section. Here is the part of the original post by JT who offered the rifles for sale:

The rifles all include:

Chambered in .308Win
Surgeon RSR short action
Surgeon 20MOA rail(8X36 screws and dowel pins)
Shilen trigger
Broughton, Krieger and Hart barrels(first come, first choice)
HS Precision police stock
HS Precision detachable mag system
NightForce 2.5-10X32 Scope
NightForce lightweight rings
Black CeraKote finish on all metal

Robert stated that he would cut the barrels to any length up to 26". Accuracy guarantee of 1/2" or less. This is a conservative guarantee if your familiar with his rifles. Most shoot Fed. GMM in the .2's and .3's with a good driver.

$2975.00 + shipping to your FFL.

I spoke with Robert this afternoon and my rifle (24" Hart barrel) is the first one that is finished and tested. Robert reports a .25" group at 100 yards using 168 FGMM factory ammo. He also said the next 2 will be ready within the next couple of days. I expect to have rifle in hand a week from today. I know everyone is anxiously awaiting pictures and a range report. I will comply ASAP.

About a month ago, Robert invited me to visit him and take a tour of his shop. Hoepitality and attention to detail are words that don't seem like they would go together, but that is exactly how I would describe Robert. I can't wait to get my hands on that rifle. Pictures and details as soon as possible.

Re: 1 of 5 Robert Gradous Rifles

I also bought one of these rifles and didn't know who Robert Gradous was when I ordered, but I fiqured it was a good enough deal that it didn't really matter. I can tell you I have done A LOT of research on his rifles since then and have asked several people who own one and I have not read nor heard a negative comment. I think you can tell how particular he is just by looking at the pictures of his shop. I hope that in the near future I can take one of his classes and build my own rifle (with his help of course). Until then I can't wait to get my hands on this one and see how it shoots.

I am glad that the rifles are getting close to being shipped to you guys. All of you have been a pleasure to deal with. I know that you will be very happy with the performance of your rifles.

Mine is here!! I will get some pics posted tomorrow and a range report sometime next week.

IMG_5848.jpg

Jeff - great teaser pic! I went to the range and my Gradous rifle shoots great. I will have pics and range report by Friday.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF. Where are the pics. </div></div>

Yes. This thread needs some pics!

I still have not had a chance to take some good pics yet but I will share a few I took this weekend while I was out hunting. I recieved the rifle last Thursday and season started Saturday. It came with the scope already mounted so I decided I would go ahead and take it with me this weekend. I have only put 18 rounds of 168 gr FGMM through the rifle so far. My first 5 shot group measured just under .25 MOA. I will post some better pics and a range report in a couple weeks. I didn't see the shooter I was after this weekend but will hopefully get a chance to test it out on him in the coming days.

Robert did an awesome job on this rifle and his work is spotless. He has been great to deal with and has call several times to double check that everything was excactly what I wanted. He even went as far as to build a wood shipping crate to insure the rifles weren't damage during shipment. He finished all of the rifles several weeks ahead of schedule. All of my future builds will be with Robert.

IMG_5861.jpg

IMG_5873.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

Sorry for the delay. Here are the pics and range report. The pics start out with a visit to Robert and his shop. He actually let me hold the rifle before completion. Robert and JT were both a pleasure to deal with. I'm pleased with the groups. I measured from outside edge and subtracted .308. Let me know if that is correct. I was excited about the 165 game king hand loads. I just started reloading - I figured why not jump in with both feet.

Imagine what this rifle could do with someone that could really shoot!

gradous001.jpg

gradous002.jpg

gradous006.jpg

gradous005.jpg

gradous003.jpg

gradous004.jpg

gradous007.jpg

gradous008.jpg

gradous009.jpg

All of the rifles have been completed and shipped. Everyone was a pleasure to do business with. I appreciate Robert helping me out with this. All of the rifles were tested before shipment and held to Robert's strict standards for a "business gun". It's a no compromise standard for weapons that are meant to be in the hands of professionals. After you guys spend some time with these rifles, I hope that you take the time to post a short range report. Thanks again, JT

Well I put my rifle to work this weekend on a decent 11 pt. Shot him at just under 400 yards. Not a monster but I was very happy with him. I am shooting a 178gr AMAX with 44gr of Varget in a Lapua case and Fed 210m primer. I haven't been able to shoot over 500 yards but so far it has been very accurate. If the weather is nice I plan to make it to the range this weekend to test some more.

IMG_5882.jpg

Very nice deer Jeff.

Have you run a patch through the barrel yet? When JT told me about the special attention Robert gives to the throat of the barrel and that my rifle would not be hard to clean, I was skeptical. I asked Robert about the break-in process and he said it was already done after about 7 rounds. He told me to shoot 30-40 rounds at the range and clean the barrel. I did this and was amazed. I ran a patch of Wipe-Out bore cleaner (recommended by Robert) and let it sit for 30 min. I ran a couple of patches thru and it was clean as a whistle. I ran a couple more thru just to make sure I was not seeing things.

Sorry to thread crash, but thought I'd chime in also. I received one of the 5 rifles. Finally took it out last weekend. Let me qualify the review by saying I'm about as unskilled or at least unpracticed as anyone on here. Outside of shooting pistols, I've probably fired a rifle 5 times in the last 10 years. Went out to a buddy's lease where we set up a makeshift target and went to work. Took 3 shots off a truck hood with a bipod with no rear support, at what worked out to be ~130 yards. Pulled third shot right about an inch due to massive shooter error. Walked up to target, and was getting made fun of for missing the target completely, until jackass friends realized the first two went through the same hole in the bulls-eye. Didn't have a lot of time to shoot so made a hasty effort at 300 yards with petty good results (especially seeing how it was the first time I'd shot a mildot scope and was more or less guessing on trajectory), and then went straight to 500 yards. Couple of shots trying to get the range and then shot a 5 shot group prone with a jacket as rear support. Now once again this is the first time I've ever shot at anything further than 300 yards, and I'm sure with the 15 mile an hour wind, a 10x scope, what seemed like a serious mirage, and my non-existent knowledge of calculating drop/hold it was a near miracle, but ended up shooting about a 5.5 inch group at 500 yards. I'm scared to think what a skilled operator or someone with a benchrest could do with this thing. The craftsmanship is probably wasted on me at this point, and I'm sure this review is worthless to those who want results that aren't fraught with user error, but I'm convinced the rifle is a serious shooter, and I strongly recommend at least researching Mr. Gradous if you are considering a custom build.

You are not thread crashing, Yakmerchant. Everyone wants to hear from the 5 rifle buyers. And don't apologize. I'm one front sand bag away from your experience level and we all have our share of jackasses - I'm still learning as well. Keep us posted on how your groups improve. Thanks for the update.

Jim