• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1 or 2 piece base for Rem SA?

Seekers

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2009
Newman Lake WA
I've read on here that it's a short coming of he Remington that the base screw holes might not all line up so that a 1 piece base could put the receiver in a stressed mode once you tighten it all down. A builder on here concurred but I haven't really noticed anyone using or recommending any 2 piece bases.

I wanted to use a +20 MOA base and couldn't even find any until I ran across these when looking for a 1 piece. (checking prices)

<span style="font-weight: bold">NF700SA: NightForce Remington 700 Two-Piece 20MOA Base - Short Action </span>

Priced at $86 with free shipping I almost fell out of my chair, I thought anything with "night force" on it had at least 2 00's after it.

So back to the original question, are the 2 piece bases better for the Remington receiver?

I was going to go with the EGW (1 piece) +20 for about $40 + shiping. I've seen that many guys have it with no complaints.

Thank you for you help and opinions, if it matters this is going on a Remingtion 5R

Re: 1 or 2 piece base for Rem SA?

Plus's and minus's to both; but if your reciever is whacked you are screwed either way. 1 piece base you stress the base and or action; 2 piece you stress the scope and or action!

I'm running a Leupold Mark 4 two-piece base on a Rem 700 5R without any problems. The Mark 4 base is also 20 MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a Leupold Mark 4 two-piece base on a Rem 700 5R without any problems. The Mark 4 base is also 20 MOA. </div></div>

What kind of groups are you seeing? Have you done anything else to your rifle? bedding, trigger, etc...

IMHO 1 piece is the way to go, I recommend bedding the rail to the action, this will ensure its straight, and not stressing the receiver and/or rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO 1 piece is the way to go, I recommend bedding the rail to the action, this will ensure its straight, and not stressing the receiver and/or rail. </div></div>

Straight = parallel, level? Or will bedding do both? I haven't heard of bedding the rail before, (obviously). Is there a limitation to the existing holes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of groups are you seeing? Have you done anything else to your rifle? bedding, trigger, etc... </div></div>

I haven't done any work to it. It's probably about average for a 5R - maybe 0.75 MOA. I don't do alot of shooting for groups, though. I've taken Lowlight's advice and now shoot the 'Dot Drills' almost exclusively while practicing the Online Training lessons.

I don't know, it may shoot better than that if I'm not the driver.
grin.gif

I'd also suggest bedding the bases. Devcon worked well for me. I lapped my TPS rings too... just to be safe.

Nope, no need for a gunsmith. It's very easy to do- just do a little homework before attempting it. The cost... about $4 for the devcon at the local hardware store and maybe another $8 for the Johnson's wax. A tin of wax will last a lifetime. You'll need the wax anyway if you decide to bed the rifle.

less moving parts is always better IMO, the one piece base will make mounting easier also, not having to worry about even minutely off centre twisting of each part.
all you need to do is as stated - make sure its "level" and centered. people say they add to the rigidity of the action also.

i've never had a 2 piece base, always steered well clear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of groups are you seeing? Have you done anything else to your rifle? bedding, trigger, etc... </div></div>

I haven't done any work to it. It's probably about average for a 5R - maybe 0.75 MOA. I don't do alot of shooting for groups, though. I've taken Lowlight's advice and now shoot the 'Dot Drills' almost exclusively while practicing the Online Training lessons.

I don't know, it may shoot better than that if I'm not the driver.
grin.gif

I'd also suggest bedding the bases. Devcon worked well for me. I lapped my TPS rings too... just to be safe. </div></div>

That's a pretty interesting target... LOL I've downloaded it and been using it with my 11 year old son. We started at 25 yards and he was laughing when he couldn't tell which shot went with which hole. ;-) He has improved as we're going through
<span style="font-weight: bold">The Fundamentals of Marksmanship</span> thread together. We're using our 10-22's which is a great idea picked up here to save on ammo and still practice good fundamentals.

I'll try to find more info on the rail bedding, the search function hasn't yielded too much so far, but I do have patience.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I appreciate them all.

Seekers

1 piece base, few reasons why. You don't have to worry about front/rear base alignment and you can mount a cosine indicator or anti cant device to the rail itself.

I have a few new EGW SA 20 MOA bases inbound, let me know if you want to buy one.

Here how to check if a one piece scope rail needs to be bedded
1 torque the front two screws to 15 INCH Pounds
2 if there is a gap in the rear it needs to be bedded

at this point tape off the receiver and rail, remove the rail, apply release agent to rail and action, I like to use Johnston paste wax, mix up whatever(I use Marine Tex), apply sparingly to the receiver, becarefull not to fill the holes for the screws, put the screws in the rail and install the rail on to the receiver, torque the front two screws to 15 inch pounds, and run down the rear two screws to but do not torque them let the bedding compound dry overnight, remove one screw at a time starting in the front and apply locktite and torque to ???, remove tape and ensure no bedding compound inside the action.

Good info, 427!

I would add that the same test should also be done with only the two rear base-screws installed. I have seen them have gaps at the front as well as some with gaps at the rear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here how to check if a one piece scope rail needs to be bedded
1 torque the front two screws to 15 INCH Pounds
2 if there is a gap in the rear it needs to be bedded

at this point tape off the receiver and rail, remove the rail, apply release agent to rail and action, I like to use Johnston paste wax, mix up whatever(I use Marine Tex), apply sparingly to the receiver, becarefull not to fill the holes for the screws, put the screws in the rail and install the rail on to the receiver, torque the front two screws to 15 inch pounds, and run down the rear two screws to but do not torque them let the bedding compound dry overnight, remove one screw at a time starting in the front and apply locktite and torque to ???, remove tape and ensure no bedding compound inside the action. </div></div>

427Cobra Thanks! I have searched all over these forums and been unable to find this information.

You described it so well I feel like I can give it a try when everything gets here this next week.

Thanks again,

Seekers

I decided to go with the EGW +20 MOA and the Burris Xtreme Med
from one of our sponsors, SWFA.

Seekers,

Good call on the EGW base.

I did a little more reading of various posts via the search function on the '1 or 2 piece base' dilemma. I've decided to get rid of my 2 piece 20 MOA Mark 4 base and go 1 piece, too. I ordered a Seekins 30 MOA rail after lunch today.
wink.gif

Good luck to you and your son.

Thank you, and to you with the new base and your training.

We'd love to start those online training lessons at sometime in the future

Seekers

It wasn't my idea, when I joined the hide Doc76251 posted a how to, I just use and basically retread his wisdom

427Cobra

You were still the one that passed it on while I was the one in the dark. Hopefully I can keep it going at some point,

Thanks again,

Seekers

There are three axis which you need to satisfy;

1. Is the front <span style="color: #3333FF">{edit: of the}</span> base the correct height (top of) to the rear .

2. Are/is the base(s) top center of the action?

3. Are/is (it) they aligned, and aligned with the bore axis?

Bedding the base the way cobra 427 described allows for the first "off".

You must first bed the front base so that it will 'align' with the rear base. You do it the same way you did the rear action. Devcon, Epoxy...any poison of your choice as long as it cures solid. You turn in the screws of the front to minimum torque, say 5-8 IN LBs. (that's inch pounds for those of you who've never run in a 8-32 screw). I do one thing different and that is to put a dab (drop or less) in the fwd screw holes. And grease the fwd screws. I let the matrix (epoxy, devcon, etc., ...) cure until it will just barely move (I insert the fwd screws beforehand). This allows for anything 'off' in the front. You should now have matrix curing under the front of the base, the rear of the base and the holes the front screws go in. Front screws just barely torqued and rear screws run down to touching.

Clean up the front but leave the back...you might move something.

Bedding a base this way takes out L-R and torsion. If the bases are not aligned with the bore that will have to be documented and allowed for when shooting at which distances as U-L or U-R.
If the holes are drilled off from the center of bore, you can't change where they go. Only the torsion they will cause.

Edit:

When I wrote this I pretty much made it apply to two piece bases. The one piece is the way to go. but you can still get torsion if not aligned right or the rear is not the correct height to the front. I recommend bedding front and back.

sandwarrior, thanks for the response and clarifications.

Cameron, Direct, simple, and to the point. I can't believe I ever just put a base on and screwed it in.

I am so impressed with the quality of the responses I've gotten to this question.

A huge thanks to "The Hide"

Seekers

Gotta vote for the one piece base. I put a badger 20 MOA on my LTR and love it. Seems to me you would get a better mount off a one piece base, as opposed to a two piece. As always, thought, YMMV.

I see when I wrote my last post here I pretty much made it apply to two piece bases. The one piece is the way to go. But, you can still get torsion if not aligned right or the rear is not the correct height to the front. I recommend bedding front and back. One other reason to do that is, no matter how close the machining is, it won't ever fill the spaces as well as epoxy can.

+1 for the one piece.
I've always used 2 pc. bases in the past. When I finally decided to throw down some serious money on a couple of scopes I started looking for info and opinions on 1 pc. or 2 pc. bases. No one could give any good reason to use a 2 pc. I went with warne bases and badger rings on a Kimber 300WSM and a Remingtom LTR 308 and they are solid as rocks.

clifford44
Had you any problems with the 2 piece ones in the past?

Did you notice any improvements with the 1 piece ones?

Like better groups or accuracy?

thanks,

Seekers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">clifford44
Had you any problems with the 2 piece ones in the past?

Did you notice any improvements with the 1 piece ones?

Like better groups or accuracy?

thanks,

Seekers </div></div>

In theory one piece should give better groups and accuracy. But not enough to see in real life.

Both types of bases made from a good company will be fine. I like the one piece better for the theory of it. It give me more mounting room for levels and other things. I know for a fact both the scope bases are on the same plane/level. If not i send the action out to have the mounting holes redrilled to a bigger size and in the right spot.

I would only use the 2 part if trying to save weight. Its a very little amount saved

I'm glad you brought up the option of having it redrilled. I had wondered if this was a viable option or if it was cost prohibitive.

Thanks for posting,

Seekers

Seekers,

If all you had to do was move up to a larger screw size, it's not cost prohibitive. If you have to weld the old ones then retap, you should also have to re-heat treat/anneal the action. In some cases this is cost prohibitive. I would imagine that some, if not many, of the precision action makers think this would affect accuracy and not worth doing. Which is probably why they are so careful about getting the holes right in the first place. FWIW, I've seen more than one manufacturers screw holes off and I've seen a few smiths at home do it wrong as well.